Forum Index > Trail Talk > Sister missing hidden lake lookout
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
neek

neek
PostTue Aug 31, 2021 7:40 pm 
My pixel 2 pooped out in barely cold and damp conditions. Pixel 3 is much better. Can't get complacent and rely on the phone even though things are fine 99% of the time. Caltopo's print feature is very nice. Rain destroyed a paper map too once...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Movesdaly
Moves

Movesdaly
Moves
PostTue Aug 31, 2021 7:48 pm 
Does anybody know how far the closure of cascade River rd is from the trailhead .....2 miles, 3 miles or 4 ?

Terry daly
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Aug 31, 2021 8:27 pm 
neek wrote:
Rain destroyed a paper map too once...
I lost a paper map and queue sheet to a gust of wind riding in an unfamiliar town, ten years ago when tech wasn't so ubiquitous.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Aug 31, 2021 9:02 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
RumiDude wrote:
There was and still is a lot of speculation about Kevin Dares and Bud Carr. I think all this speculation is almost certainly nonsense. ... I agree with Schroder, I am not sure the article in the Spokesman even addressed what the questions are that were raised by this recovery.
The bottom line, as Schroder's subsequent post makes clear, is that the local LE authorities are the lead and coordinators, but the search teams on the ground are volunteers; ie, mostly people who have full time jobs elsewhere. What you have with someone like Bud Carr, which was apparent to anyone who followed the details of the Sayers disappearance, is someone who is willing to be marginally employed so they can devote time that conventional SAR volunteers cannot. One feels glad that the Lakoduk family has closure, but much grandstanding will come of this. I guess that's a rephrasing and agreement with what rbuzby and contour5 said, above.
Well the point about Kevin Dares and Bud Carr I was trying to make was that at the time there was much speculation about both of these individuals, including here on this site which was untrue as well as misplaced. This especially applies to Kevin Dares. I don't wish ill for either of them and it should not matter to those of us not directly involved to wish that Carr and Dares were not involved in finding the body of Rachel Lakoduk. SAR does a tremendous work and I think we all here agree about that. We also probably agree that it would be good if SAR had more money and resources, including trained volunteers. But even with great resources, some missing individuals are not found and may never be found. In those cases SAR at some point must suspend the search. At that point, what are friends and family of the missing to do? There really is no good solution for these families. They end up taking whatever help they can get. There are a few hikers missing from the PCT the last several years, one of which went missing here in Washington. I know that the families are desperate for some closure. I know several people who have spent huge bits of time at their own expence looking for these hikers. Regardless of their motives, they search and most of the families appreciate that. The families don't seem to judge and in light of that, I don't judge them either. But again, the real debate is what should we (society/hiker community) do when SAR has to go home? Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostTue Aug 31, 2021 9:37 pm 
This is the Big Return of Bud Garulo Carlton Carr. After laying low for the last couple years suddenly bursting back on the scene.

Seattle_Wayne

Seattle_Wayne
PostWed Sep 01, 2021 4:48 am 
DadFly wrote:
To anyone who would criticize the SAR organizations, what they need are more well trained volunteers and money to support training and team rescue gear. All of the SAR units in Washington are 100% funded by private donations. There is always a sheriffs deputy overseeing the missions but that is from the County budget. SAR volunteers provide their unpaid time, all personal gear and commit to being available for at least 40 hrs of training and five missions each year. .
I'm in the process of joining SAR right now. I'm working overtime at my regular job to help pay for the gear on the gear list. That's been a slow process.

Vesper Peak

Bronco, Walkin' Fool, Schroder, Dave Weyrick, Cyclopath, DadFly, Chief Joseph, rbuzby
Slim
This space for rent

Slim
This space for rent
PostWed Sep 01, 2021 10:45 am 
Movesdaly wrote:
Does anybody know how far the closure of cascade River rd is from the trailhead .....2 miles, 3 miles or 4 ?
It's closed at milepost 16 which is 7 miles from the TH. https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/7797/

"Lean mean money-making-machines serving fiends"
Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Sep 01, 2021 1:25 pm 
Article in today's Times by the same reporter - edited from the original How the body of a hiker who disappeared two years ago was found in the North Cascades

Felpudo

Felpudo
PostWed Sep 01, 2021 1:57 pm 
Real interesting article in the times. Very good read. It gives some info on Sayers as well, I wasn't really familiar with that case.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Sep 01, 2021 1:59 pm 
Seems it was Kevin Dares (Sam Sayer's boyfriend) that actually found Lakoduk.
Quote:
Dares found Lakoduk at 4,500 feet, 1,000 vertical feet below where the two hikers chatted with her. She was 3,300 feet and 3 hard miles from the road, but she was on the right track.
Although strange the article claims she was on the right track, apparently the writer isn't familiar with topo maps. Per Schroder's map, looks like she was descending to an unforgiving drainage.

Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Sep 01, 2021 2:05 pm 
Felpudo wrote:
It gives some info on Sayers as well, I wasn't really familiar with that case.
The longest of several threads is here: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8027831

rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostWed Sep 01, 2021 3:09 pm 
Amazing luck they found her the same day they had a reporter with them.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed Sep 01, 2021 3:15 pm 
Tom wrote:
Per Schroder's map, looks like she was descending to an unforgiving drainage.
Exactly. Unfortunately she turned west from the main trail too soon--one drainage too soon. ~z

kiliki

kiliki
PostFri Sep 03, 2021 12:26 pm 
Quote:
But again, the real debate is what should we (society/hiker community) do when SAR has to go home?
Just my opinion of course, and I know it doesn't address the family's pressing issue (finding/recovering a body), and this is going in a direction that you aren't really asking about. I don't know what the best course of action for any missing person, on the trail or not, where SAR or law enforcement has given up the active search. But it seems like all of us could perhaps redouble our efforts with hiker education. There's chat earlier in this thread about the impending/forecasted winter storm, how much more likely people are now to be goal oriented; there are so many new and inexperienced hikers out there. Maybe the best thing we could all do is to try to help change the culture, to support hiker education, to mention concerns to our friends when they set out in unfavorable conditions, to loan them our InReach, etc. I know I've mentioned how much I appreciate the Yosemite SAR blog where they talk about incidents, and what the person did right, and what they did wrong. I think that is so valuable. This isn't intended to blame the victim. A young inexperienced hiker won't know everything. They probably don't understand how severe weather can be, how valuable being better supplied and with an emergency device could help save their lives. Maybe the best use of our time would be to help prevent future deaths on the trail.

solohiker, RumiDude, DadFly