Forum Index > Trail Talk > Big Four Ice Caves Bridge Removed
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schroder

Schroder
PostSat Oct 26, 2019 2:35 pm 
From Gary Paull (retired FS Ranger)
Quote:
Hey everybody, I was at Big 4 yesterday and witnessed the removal of a segment of the bridge on the Ice Caves Trail. The Stilly has been eating away the remaining ground on its southern bank threatening to undermine the abutment holding up the bridge. The FS removed the bridge segment before it - and potentially the rest of the bridge fell into the river. Bottom line is that there is no access to the ice caves at the base of Big 4 for the forseeable future.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Oct 26, 2019 3:03 pm 
I was up there a month ago. There were signs every 20 feet along the trail warning that the cave is collapsing. Still people inside. It's probably for the best that the bridge is out.

Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostSat Oct 26, 2019 9:18 pm 
Go Stilly, Go!

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Oct 28, 2019 5:19 pm 
That was fast. This bridge was just put in, seems like. On the other hand, in the Pacific NW, a bridge year is about 50 years, so when you look at it that way, it's about time, after all. An interesting conundrum. The materials and design already accommodate a longer bridge than typical, without a mid-span post. A longer bridge may require a post. Putting a post in that river is likely not ever going to happen due to “some damn fish.” * I wonder if the material and design can be modified to stretch the bridge just a little more. *Congressman Volker, at a hearing re: the Northwest Forest Plan, apparently not a fan of fish

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
ejain

ejain
PostMon Oct 28, 2019 7:06 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
I wonder if the material and design can be modified to stretch the bridge just a little more.
This design may be a better long-term solution:

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Oct 28, 2019 7:30 pm 
Yah! And trebuchets. (odd; this is the third time in the last two days I have mentioned or have seen trebuchets as a solution for some thing or another).

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostMon Oct 28, 2019 8:30 pm 
I’m for a cable crossing. Need a pulley, crossers would need a seat harness and gloves.....piece a cake! In fact, the crossing could be as exciting, (or more) as entering and climbing all over the caves. Wha da ya think?

When I grow up I wanna play.
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostMon Oct 28, 2019 9:14 pm 
Keep the bridge out. The bridge offers an easy access to a dangerous area. People aren't heeding the warning signs for the ice caves. Climbers can still ford the Stillaguamish if they want to access the Dry Creek route on Big Four.

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostTue Oct 29, 2019 4:57 am 
This won't stop people if the want to go they will or someone will drop a tree and people will use it.