Forum Index > Trail Talk > Leavenworth will have parking meters in the spring
Previous :: Next Topic  
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath

Faster than light
PostSun Oct 27, 2019 6:27 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Only in the downtown core.  They'll be electronic (no cash), with vehicle detectors to alert parking enforcement when somebody overstays their allotted time.  They were voted in this past week.

Source: KOHO.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Brian R

Brian R

PostSun Oct 27, 2019 8:10 pm 
Who needs parking meters when WSDOT wants GPS transponders in our cars in the not-too-distant future. The sky's the limit.  All for the common good. Enjoy the future, serfs.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
MtnGoat

MtnGoat

PostMon Oct 28, 2019 3:03 pm 
Just say no to transponders and micromanaging everyone's travel. Fuel taxes work just fine and do all the calculations necessary inherently...you pay more to drive more, you pay more if you have worse mileage, you pay more if your rig is heavier (see last point).

Granted they need to do something to properly assess costs against electric cars, but this needn't involve everyone else.

--------------
Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Brucester

Brucester

PostMon Oct 28, 2019 4:29 pm 
Route 2 will still be a madhouse on Sunday afternoon!
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude

Marmota olympus
PostMon Oct 28, 2019 5:32 pm 
Seems like so many places are going to that option. We had to pay for parking in the old part of Mukilteo down by the ferry landing last weekend.

In many places in Europe, pay for parking is the norm, including many rural areas.

Rumi

--------------
"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Doppelganger
Gorecrow

Doppelganger

Gorecrow
PostTue Oct 29, 2019 6:31 am 
Brian R wrote:
GPS transponders in our cars in the not-too-distant future. The sky's the limit.  All for the common good. Enjoy the future, serfs.

MtnGoat wrote:
Just say no to transponders and micromanaging everyone's travel.

Probably been carrying one around in your pocket for the last 20 years. Just going out on a limb and guessing that you gave in to a family member at some point and threw out the flip phone in favor of a smart phone hockeygrin.gif Don't forget to burn your computer. Maybe this is where the missing NWHers went, they wised up and went off the grid.
MtnGoat

MtnGoat

PostTue Oct 29, 2019 7:26 am 
I don't recall being charged for the number of miles my cell phone travels.

--------------
Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Doppelganger
Gorecrow

Doppelganger

Gorecrow
PostTue Oct 29, 2019 7:54 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
I don't recall being charged for the number of miles my cell phone travels.

Well I was making a joke about how such technology invaded our daily lives decades ago, but taking a few minutes to think about it - have we been indirectly charged for our cel phone habits and travels during that time? If you consider tracking, marketing, etc your (our) data has been big business for the duration. Lots of companies have paid for and used that information over the years. Patterns of opportunity (sales, marketing, fees, $$$) were studied and leveraged, and prices of services and goods were adjusted to accommodate perceived demand according to that tracking data.
MtnGoat

MtnGoat

PostTue Oct 29, 2019 7:55 am 
That has nothing to do with being charged mileage for how many miles your phone physically travels, which is the basis of the arguments for use of GPS transponders to impose mileage charges.

--------------
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath

Faster than light
PostTue Oct 29, 2019 8:22 am 
Leavenworth isn't going to charge for miles driven, just for time parked, and only in a small area where no one can ever find an empty spot.  KOHO said the reason they're doing this is to "gain control" of the parking situation.  That didn't make sense at first, but the vehicle detectors combined with electronic payment mean they'll be able to ticket cars that overstay, and when people figure that out, there should be more turnover of parking spaces - more people being able to use them.

This doesn't affect me personally, I go to Leavenworth to recreate in the Icicle.  When I go to a restaurant it's Krystal's because they have ample parking and I don't have to go into the downtown core where you can get stuck with pedestrian-first crossings and people double parking on narrow streets.
joker
seeker

joker

seeker
PostTue Oct 29, 2019 8:53 am 
Makes sense for them to do something like this given how insanely crowded it's become in the core at peak times.

And those who are worried about the prying eyes of der große Bruder can of course simply avoid parking in the core there. Problem solved. Though indeed, if you  have a smartphone, or even if you use the internet from a computer w/o multiple anonymizing tactics, you are already dealing with much bigger invasions of your privacy than having your car tracked amongst the parking in fakegermantown.
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude

Marmota olympus
PostTue Oct 29, 2019 10:15 am 
joker wrote:
the parking in fakegermantown

What? Are you saying that Leavenworth is not really the populace of a Bavarian village that moved to the US? They're not even German?

Dang, I am shattered! I don't know what to believe anymore.

Rumi

PS: I know what you're doing, you're joking aren't you? That's why you're called Joker. I have to admit, you had me going there for a while. I think I will just have to make a trip to Leavenworth and have me some of that authentic Schweinshaxn.

--------------
"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Schroder

Schroder

PostTue Oct 29, 2019 10:33 am 
RumiDude wrote:
We had to pay for parking in the old part of Mukilteo down by the ferry landing last weekend.

That's because they don't want ferry walk-ons to park in town. Mukilteo parking has become a nightmare.
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper

Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Oct 29, 2019 11:06 am 

--------------
What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
joker
seeker

joker

seeker
PostTue Oct 29, 2019 12:53 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
you're joking aren't you

well I guess sarcasm is a form of "joke"

and I realize that some people have a fondness for kitschy recreations of foreign towns and the like which is fine but it doesn't make it any less, well, kitschy
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Trail Talk > Leavenworth will have parking meters in the spring
  Happy Birthday JVT!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: