Faster than light
PostSun Oct 27, 2019 11:59 pm 
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostMon Oct 28, 2019 7:57 am 
PBS NOVA had an hour on this topic https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/video/look-whos-driving/

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostMon Oct 28, 2019 8:04 am 
I can remember way back reading in the popular mechanics magazine about self driving cars of the future..musta been around 1957 or so...took a long time to get there...wonder how long it will take for warp drive and space jumps??

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Oct 28, 2019 8:26 am 
E bikes.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
neek

neek
PostMon Oct 28, 2019 10:04 am 
Before teaching overly complex technology how to drive cars, let's teach people how to drive them.
treeswarper wrote:
E bikes.
Remember google's self-driving ebike gag? Hard to get busy on the back of one of those though.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Oct 28, 2019 10:24 am 
Assuming they get the bugs worked out it seems fine....so long as it is a choice, and not a mandate.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Oct 28, 2019 11:10 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
Here's an article in Forbes about the once and future use of the automobile. https://www.forbes.com/sites/lanceeliot/2019/10/27/declining-birthrate-likely-to-swing-upward-via-advent-of-self-driving-cars/amp/
RIDIN' ALONG IN MY AUTOMOBILE MY BABY BESIDE ME AT THE WHEEL I STOLE A KISS AT THE TURN OF A MILE MY CURIOSITY RUNNIN' WILD CRUSIN' N' PLAYIN' THE RADIO O WITH NO PARTICULAR PLACE TO GO.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Oct 28, 2019 10:00 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
Assuming they get the bugs worked out it seems fine....so long as it is a choice, and not a mandate.
I really do agree that we shouldn't mandate teenagers have unprotected sex. But if that's a goal with striving for, we can maybe put waterbeds in the robot cars.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostTue Oct 29, 2019 1:57 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
Heres the deal though it's only gonna work if its every car on the road. No way I'm getting unbuckled to go drink in the back seat if theres human-drive vehicles whizzing around about to slam into the side of my self drive! Gotta get this infrastructure in place

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Oct 29, 2019 2:01 pm 
If your car can't handle real world conditions including the rights of other people to not choose the tech, then it shouldn't be on the road. If it cannot work without relying on coercion, then it doesn't work period.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostTue Oct 29, 2019 2:06 pm 
That more of a ethical type argument. I'm more talkin' what works.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Oct 29, 2019 2:39 pm 
BigBrunyon wrote:
Heres the deal though it's only gonna work if its every car on the road. No way I'm getting unbuckled to go drink in the back seat if theres human-drive vehicles whizzing around about to slam into the side of my self drive! Gotta get this infrastructure in place
I've heard there will be a huge problem with robot cars being programmed to be cautious, and human drivers realizing you can always cut them off and they'll always let you. I don't know if anybody else read the Forbes link, it made me chuckle, I hope somebody else got a laugh too. That's why I posted this in the first place, humor is important and should be shared.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Oct 29, 2019 3:17 pm 
BigBrunyon wrote:
That more of a ethical type argument. I'm more talkin' what works.
So am I! I argue there is no 'pragmatism' free of ethical interpretations, constraints, and judgments. People (not saying this is you), tend to argue as if pragmatism is free of such things, but it is not. One must have value based judgments and goals to be pragmatic about achieving. Being pragmatic does not provide an escape from justifying the goals one is pragmatic about achieving. Thus, if the car cannot handle the real world including human piloted cars, it pragmatically does *not* work...by the standards I argued before for example. Besides, if all that there computin' power and eternally vigilant sensors can be trusted to hurtle you down a dark deer infested highway with rain and falling leaves in fall, it should certainly be able to see and avoid an entire car piloted by a non computer!

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostTue Oct 29, 2019 4:04 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
Besides, if all that there computin' power and eternally vigilant sensors can be trusted to hurtle you down a dark deer infested highway with rain and falling leaves in fall, it should certainly be able to see and avoid an entire car piloted by a non computer!
Programming to recognize every possible iteration is the real problem. If it is programmed to recognize deer, will it recognize a moose. Pedestrians with umbrellas or with large backpacks? Humans are very good at recognition of variations, machines not so much. There have been two Tesla Autopilot deaths. One with a Uber autonomous test. Full autonomous technology let loose on open streets is years away. Unless it can be shown to be substantially safer for all road users than driven cars it's not ready.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Oct 30, 2019 4:50 pm 
We have numerous infrastructure improvements to help humans drive. Orange lines, white lines, reflectors, road signs, etc. Self driving cars will need such improvements, but designed to help computers drive. It will be rough going at first since the infrastructure will not exist. Just like the introduction of autos was slowed by the lack of roads other than wagon tracks. But once the improvements are made, I think it will be fabulous.