Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Oct 30, 2019 5:26 pm 
InFlight wrote:
There have been two Tesla Autopilot deaths. One with a Uber autonomous test. Full autonomous technology let loose on open streets is years away. Unless it can be shown to be substantially safer for all road users than driven cars it's not ready.
Your stats are out of date: it's 5 Tesla and 1 Uber https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_self-driving_car_fatalities So far they haven't been publishing the "per mile" accident rate. That's the number that will tell us when the technology is at least as safe as the average driver. I think it will be a while before autonomous vehicles are safer than an excellent driver that is well rested and paying attention. However I think the day when autonomous vehicles are safer than human drivers on average is much closer. Robots don't drive drunk, fall asleep, update their facebook status, get into arguments over the phone or get into shouting matches with the radio and a zillion other distractions that human drivers do and a the source of the vast majority of collisions. Earlier in the thread deer collisions were mentioned -- I was just over in the Methow -- where the warning sign said that over 330 deer collisions occurred last year just in the Methow -- all with human drivers. So I'm not sure deer avoidance is the bar that robots need to be measured against.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Alpendave

Alpendave
PostThu Oct 31, 2019 6:02 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
InFlight wrote:
There have been two Tesla Autopilot deaths. One with a Uber autonomous test. Full autonomous technology let loose on open streets is years away. Unless it can be shown to be substantially safer for all road users than driven cars it's not ready.
Your stats are out of date: it's 5 Tesla and 1 Uber https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_self-driving_car_fatalities So far they haven't been publishing the "per mile" accident rate. That's the number that will tell us when the technology is at least as safe as the average driver. I think it will be a while before autonomous vehicles are safer than an excellent driver that is well rested and paying attention. However I think the day when autonomous vehicles are safer than human drivers on average is much closer. Robots don't drive drunk, fall asleep, update their facebook status, get into arguments over the phone or get into shouting matches with the radio and a zillion other distractions that human drivers do and a the source of the vast majority of collisions. Earlier in the thread deer collisions were mentioned -- I was just over in the Methow -- where the warning sign said that over 330 deer collisions occurred last year just in the Methow -- all with human drivers. So I'm not sure deer avoidance is the bar that robots need to be measured against.
Still, should never, ever be a means for the driver to check out. If you are 0.08% and get behind the wheel, then you should still get a DUI. Get caught texting? Distracted driver citation. Sleeping while your car drives? Citation or better yet, night in jail and license taken away. The human should still, in the end, bear responsibility to remain alert and be able to react. Next time you get the spinning wheel on your computer or phone acts up, just ask yourself, do I want this driving me around?

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Oct 31, 2019 6:29 am 
alpendave wrote:
Next time you get the spinning wheel on your computer or phone acts up, just ask yourself, do I want this driving me around?
The donut of death is almost universally due to a network timeout condition and these days mostly trying to load an ad. Autonomous vehicles need to be fully self-contained and not dependent on an internet connection to navigate safely. DARPA'S "grand challenge" to navigate 142 miles of desert autonomously was met by 5 teams in 2005. All the autonomous vehicles today are derived from that work. There is still a lot more work to be done, but not waiting for ads to load before deciding whether to brake or steer isn't one of the challenges. https://www.army-technology.com/features/darpas-grand-challenge-at-15-how-far-have-autonomous-military-vehicles-come/

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostThu Oct 31, 2019 11:01 am 
alpendave wrote:
If you are 0.08% and get behind the wheel, then you should still get a DUI.
The thing with these self drivers is that you get guys getting behind the wheel close to 0.0% but once they get in a lane for a few miles they're getting up around 0.10%, .20%, or even higher by the time they're stumbling out of the vehicle