Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Do you want a self-driving car?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic

Do you want a self-driving car?
No
15%
 15%  [ 8 ]
No only no, but HELL NO!!!
37%
 37%  [ 19 ]
Yes
47%
 47%  [ 24 ]
Total Votes : 51

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Oct 30, 2019 1:48 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Has a human driving a car ever killed anyone?
Yup. And the chain of responsibility is thoroughly thought out. For self driving cars, it is very indeterminate, for now anyway, and the moral issues abound.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Oct 30, 2019 1:49 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
And that same tax will be used to pay for what coldrain is talking about. up.gif
Yes, it will be used to harm people and society for sure if that occurs.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Oct 30, 2019 3:21 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
Cyclopath wrote:
Yup. And the chain of responsibility is thoroughly thought out. For self driving cars, it is very indeterminate, for now anyway, and the moral issues abound.
Is the victim less dead because survivors have somebody to blame? I'm aware of 3 cases where somebody died as a result of self driving cars. 3,000 people die every day as a result of human driven cars, not counting the ones who are "only" maimed. To the best of my knowledge robot cars aren't distracted by text messages and Facebook, correct me if I'm wrong. But every time I'm on the road I see people driving cars while they pay attention to their phones instead of the road. Self driving cars can't get here fast enough, for safety reasons. People aren't very good at understanding risk, many would rather drive than fly too.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Oct 30, 2019 3:24 pm 
Speaking of things robot cars don't do: Raging driver pulled gun on car full of undercover cops shakehead.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Oct 30, 2019 4:45 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Hell no and a half. Normally Im not one to consider frivolous law suits, but Im all for suing the creative company out of existence when the self driver kills someone!
Stupid question. Of course, and they can be held accountable.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Oct 30, 2019 4:46 pm 
I’m going with”hell no!” I have little faith in the technological ‘advances’ of mankind.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Oct 30, 2019 4:48 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Speaking of things robot cars don't do: Raging driver pulled gun on car full of undercover cops shakehead.gif
Awesome, you truly cant fix stupid. Check it out, he went "Postal" on them! Haven't been able to say that in a while.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Oct 31, 2019 4:31 am 
Holding someone accountable is absolutely worthless in bringing dead people back to life. Funny how those who claim to hate frivolous lawsuits are the first to say they would sue a company out of existence. Chief Joseph will never go to the doctor, or fly in a plane, or use a cell phone, so he appears to claim. Or maybe he is just making up a phony excuse to attack something he makes no effort to understand. When people put forth a general principle to make an argument, it is hilarious how often they are being complete hypocrites who ignore that same principle all the time except the one caee they site.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Oct 31, 2019 6:33 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Perhaps they can, but usually they aren't https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2019/10/18/its-26-another-cyclist-killed-and-driver-is-not-charged/

Schroder

Schroder
PostThu Oct 31, 2019 7:35 am 
I look forward to everyone else having self-driving cars. I'm sure that it will be a huge improvement to the half of the drivers I see on the road that shouldn't be behind the wheel. Since I moved to an area with only one 2-lane highway and an average age over 70, I've seen a serious accident in the neighborhood almost every week, most of them head-on.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostThu Oct 31, 2019 8:10 am 
Ski wrote:
WHY do I need a self-driving car when I am perfectly capable of driving the car myself? The first thing I did before i drove my truck off the dealer's lot was reach up under the dash and yank out the little buzzer unit that was telling me the ignition key was in the ignition switch and the door was open. I tossed it out into the parking lot. The salesman gave me a puzzled look. I know the key is in the switch and I know the door is open, and I don't need the car to tell me that. I don't need the car to tell me how to drive, where to go, or how fast to go there. I can do all that myself. Somebody in another thread is talking about some sort of "transponder" for my car that's going to tell somebody where I am? Yeah... good luck with that. It'll be right out there in the parking lot with the door buzzer. If you've got something for my car that I actually NEED, please let me be the first to know.
up.gif up.gif up.gif

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Oct 31, 2019 8:45 am 
Slugman wrote:
Holding someone accountable is absolutely worthless in bringing dead people back to life. Funny how those who claim to hate frivolous lawsuits are the first to say they would sue a company out of existence. Chief Joseph will never go to the doctor, or fly in a plane, or use a cell phone, so he appears to claim. Or maybe he is just making up a phony excuse to attack something he makes no effort to understand. When people put forth a general principle to make an argument, it is hilarious how often they are being complete hypocrites who ignore that same principle all the time except the one caee they site.
No one has ever claimed holding someone accountable will bring someone else back to life. A strawman argument is an empty argument, and it's usually applied to justify using law against innocent people on the basis they *might* do something bad. Holding people accountable is not supposed to undo a wrong, it addresses the justice of holding people accountable for what they *actually* do, and provides a counter incentive to folks doing wrong in the future. Not only do I *not* see any examples of posters claiming to hate frivolous lawsuits being the first to say they'd sue a company out of existence, I see no evidence of recognition of the difference between a frivolous suit and a justified one. As for hypocrisy, well, that general principle argument made is effin rampant in the AGW enthusiast community, so it would be more applicable in that situation.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Oct 31, 2019 8:48 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
Is the victim less dead because survivors have somebody to blame? I'm aware of 3 cases where somebody died as a result of self driving cars. 3,000 people die every day as a result of human driven cars, not counting the ones who are "only" maimed. To the best of my knowledge robot cars aren't distracted by text messages and Facebook, correct me if I'm wrong. But every time I'm on the road I see people driving cars while they pay attention to their phones instead of the road. Self driving cars can't get here fast enough, for safety reasons. People aren't very good at understanding risk, many would rather drive than fly too.
No, the victim is not less dead...and I have no idea at all what this fact is supposed to illustrate. Doubtless, people are not always great at understanding risk...but risk is not the only reason they make decisions. And they own the right to make risk decisions for themselves, wether or not this right is taken away from them. A right violated is still a right.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Oct 31, 2019 10:50 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Perhaps they can, but usually they aren't https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2019/10/18/its-26-another-cyclist-killed-and-driver-is-not-charged/
Yeah, a driver just has to say the magic words "I didn't see him" or "he came out of nowhere" and they're not held accountable. At least for pedestrians and cyclists. But robots are scary. How many self driving cars will have a DUI problem?

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Oct 31, 2019 10:50 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
No, the victim is not less dead...and I have no idea at all what this fact is supposed to illustrate. Doubtless, people are not always great at understanding risk...but risk is not the only reason they make decisions. And they own the right to make risk decisions for themselves, wether or not this right is taken away from them. A right violated is still a right.
Really??