Forum Index > Trail Talk > Goat on Mailbox?
Previous :: Next Topic  
whoami
Probably Nobody

whoami

Probably Nobody
PostTue Nov 05, 2019 6:45 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
I've seen them near the summit of Teneriffe multiple times.

--------------
A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
BlameTheDogz

BlameTheDogz

PostThu Nov 07, 2019 11:53 am 
Saw a goat on the Si Haystack ridge on Wednesday.

--------------
striving to stand like mountain yet flow like water, and make the dogs happy
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr

Mid Fork Rocks
PostFri Nov 08, 2019 7:37 pm 
Lots of info on the relocated goats in this WDFW report

Quote:
On June 18, 2018, after years of planning and extensive public review, the regional director of the U.S. National Park Service signed a Record of Decision, authorizing the beginning of a plan to remove mountain goats (Oreamnos americanus) from Olympic National Park (as well as adjacent portions of the Olympic National Forest). For the first few years of this work, the approved plan calls for most mountain goats to be captured live and transported to staging areas on the Olympic Peninsula where they would formally become the responsibility of the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW). From these staging areas, mountain goats would then be transported to pre-selected staging areas in the North Cascades, and then brought to release locations where they would be returned to the wild.

--------------
Mid Fork Rocks ē flickr
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath

Faster than light
PostFri Nov 08, 2019 8:30 pm 
They can use my garden as a staging area.  I promise to name every goat that comes through.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Vertec

Vertec

PostTue Nov 12, 2019 9:23 am 
Slugman wrote:
I donít think capturing them, etc, improved their attitudes.

They weren't 'native' to the Olympic Peninsula, but were 'introduced' there about 100-ish (?) years ago.  At least one hiker fatality made the news about ten years ago and may have contributed to the "bad press" about their 'demeanor'.  I wonder if the Olympic animals are now somewhat different than the native Cascade herds due to subtle adaptations of living in a different environment over those generations (yup, the game is "survival of the fittest").  Seems behavioral adaptations would appear early if they contributed to breeding success in a different environment (at least earlier than physical traits - e.g. longer horns to survive different predation).  And, will any such adaptations now breed into the Cascade herd (yup, see above)?  Maybe this will create an aggressive variation of franken-goat?

In any case, expect a spike in cougar population due to an increased food source, which will be followed by more reports of emaciated cougar 'incidents' as the food source 'adjusts' down to whatever the environment will sustain.  Fun fact: more food for mom = more kittens.  But if future generations of kittens can't take down goats, they will starve.

Welcome to another episode of "Man's Mad Science Nature Experiments".  We have a seat in the test tube!

BTW, it's not the first goat episode.  Some federal idiot got the stupid idea that hazing goats would instill a tendency for them to avoid humans.  But it only made them more aggressive toward hikers.  Make sure your defense attorney looks this up if you ever need to knock one over in self defense (and get caught).

But maybe the goat is just checking for mail, hoping to get a letter from home  dizzy.gif

--------------
Out There, carrying the self-evident truth I am endowed by my Creator with unalienable rights of self-defended Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108

Thundering Herd
PostTue Nov 12, 2019 2:49 pm 
BlameTheDogz wrote:
Saw a goat on the Si Haystack ridge on Wednesday.

I saw goats on the Si haystack in 1991 - quite a few of them actually.  .

--------------
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing"  - Albert Einstein
BlameTheDogz

BlameTheDogz

PostTue Nov 12, 2019 7:48 pm 
I mentioned this to a friend who grew up in North Bend and she said she used to frequently see goats on that ridge with binoculars from town. Nice to know they have a decent history there, thank you!

--------------
striving to stand like mountain yet flow like water, and make the dogs happy
snowshoeman

snowshoeman

PostTue Nov 12, 2019 8:34 pm 
This summer on McClellan Butte trail. Quite unworried by my presence.

--------------
"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity."
George Carlin
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Trail Talk > Goat on Mailbox?
  Happy Birthday Damian, chefothefuture, Dogman, ridgescrambler, Bryan K, Eaglecadd!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: