Forum Index > Trip Reports > Round Mountain, Alpine Lookout, Sub-Alpine Peak - 10 nov 2019
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostSun Nov 10, 2019 11:36 pm 
There is almost no snow left and it is crazy warm, summer like weather. Butcher creek road washout is now repaired (feels like FS is on a roll with repairing roads this autumn, first blanca and now this) and is in good condition, there are some ruts, but any car can make it.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Couvehiker86

Couvehiker86
PostMon Nov 11, 2019 10:06 am 
These are great pics, but this November weather isn't really all that unusual. Temperatures are actually running near average month to date. I guess the big story has been the extended period of dryness. It probably seems really warm now since October was so cold and snowy in the mountains. October 2019 was the second coldest October in Washington state history (records back to 1895).

Downhill

Downhill
PostMon Nov 11, 2019 5:27 pm 
Thanks for the TR and great photos!! I made the trip with my pup last summer to the Alpine Lookout, but we approached from the other side, west-to-east, via Merritt Lake. It made me wish I was stationed at a lookout for a summer.

ejain

ejain
PostMon Nov 11, 2019 6:37 pm 
Sub-Alpine Peak?

kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostMon Nov 11, 2019 7:42 pm 
ejain wrote:
Sub-Alpine Peak?
https://www.peakbagger.com/peak.aspx?pid=-54291

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostMon Nov 11, 2019 11:07 pm 
Kitya, what day did you go up there? We went up as far as the Nine Mile Saddle today, (coincidentally I was reading your trip report as we were driving over the pass) and it was FREEZING cold. Most certainly below freezing at 6,000 feet, and no blue sky, just a high overcast. I think I found Cookie’s footprints in the snow, would like to meet him/her in person some day. I like your mouse paw print pendant, it reminds me of two plaster of Paris casts I have for my favorite guinea pigs. smile.gif I took pictures of sections of the trail which need a “little” attention and were really something to behold.
Nason Ridge multi-use trail 11/11/19
We did encounter one person on a dirt bike today. For some reason they did not look like they were having a very good time. clown.gif .

kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostTue Nov 12, 2019 7:59 am 
Nancyann wrote:
Kitya, what day did you go up there? We went up as far as the Nine Mile Saddle today, (coincidentally I was reading your trip report as we were driving over the pass) and it was FREEZING cold. Most certainly below freezing at 6,000 feet, and no blue sky, just a high overcast. I think I found Cookie’s footprints in the snow, would like to meet him/her in person some day. I like your mouse paw print pendant, it reminds me of two plaster of Paris casts I have for my favorite guinea pigs. smile.gif I took pictures of sections of the trail which need a “little” attention and were really something to behold.
We went on Sunday, just day before you. But the sun came out and it was really-really-really warm. I am not one of these people who hikes in shorts year round and my fingers always freeze even in gloves, but i never put on gloves or jacket this time. Sun was really baking and just t-shirt was more than enough. Looks like clouds can make quite a difference. I'm sure Cookie (SHE) will be happy to meet you too on the trail. She likes hiking people, she thinks they are her tribe (and she is decisively more reserved about city people she meets on walks). Trail is indeed a trench in many areas. But no blowdowns and easy to see smile.gif Why do guinea pigs need casts? I hope their legs are okey!

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostTue Nov 12, 2019 11:37 am 
The casts were made by my vet in little heart shapes and my guinea pig’s paw prints were set in them after they reached the end of their life spans. smile.gif I had been thinking Nason Ridge would be a nice wildflower walk in the spring, but had trouble picturing myself struggling through melting snow and mud in the areas I photographed. frown.gif

ejain

ejain
PostTue Nov 12, 2019 4:15 pm 
kitya wrote:
https://www.peakbagger.com/peak.aspx?pid=-54291
Thanks; was your last picture taken on Sub-Alpine Peak? Trying to figure out if it would be worth the detour when hiking to the lookout from Merritt Lake, or if it's more like Round Mountain ;-)

kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostTue Nov 12, 2019 10:51 pm 
ejain wrote:
Thanks; was your last picture taken on Sub-Alpine Peak? Trying to figure out if it would be worth the detour when hiking to the lookout from Merritt Lake, or if it's more like Round Mountain ;-)
The last photo with Cookie is actually from another (unnamed) sub-peak between Alpine Lookout and Sub-Alpine Peak. Little peaks/bumps on Nason ridge between Merritt Lake and Alpine Lookout are better than Round Mountain. There are three little rocky peaks offering good views and moderate scrambling. Sub-Alpine peak itself is more rounded and just a walk up, but it is mostly tree-less and thus better for views compared to Round Mountain. On the other hand Alpine lookout offers even better views and if you are going to Alpine Lookout anyway it is not like Sub-Alpine peak will offer better views. I mostly detoured to it in order to make this trip a little bit less boring and not all on trail. This is my track, you can see the two bumps I visited. https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4241455028 There is a third more interesting bump, but it looked too scary for me to reach. I didn't really try to hard though, because I wanted to rush to Leavenworth before 4pm to get to the bakery before it closes and eat some bread smile.gif