Forum Index > Trail Talk > Trees grow fast in Washington - Mount Si view now and then
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostFri Nov 08, 2019 7:43 pm 
I had a chance to replicate a photo I took in 1990 on the way to a Mount Si climb. Everything lines up except the explosion of trees along I90.
Trees grow fast in Washington. View of Mount Si from the same I-90 curve 29 years apart.
Trees grow fast in Washington. View of Mount Si from the same I-90 curve 29 years apart.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
JimK

JimK
PostFri Nov 08, 2019 9:14 pm 
Yes they do grow fast. It does look to be right about the same spot. Here was the view from West Tiger 3 in 1984. Today you can only see trees.
Tiger3_Airfield_Big_1
Tiger3_Airfield_Big_1

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostFri Nov 08, 2019 9:14 pm 
Jeff wrote:
You did line that up perfectly.
Nope, you're in the wrong lane. smile.gif More seriously, I'm not sure that surprises me for 30 years' growth. Interesting comparison, though.

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostFri Nov 08, 2019 9:19 pm 
That's really cool! up.gif Although the Mt Si glacier, which you can see in the 1990 photo, has disappeared. clown.gif

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Nov 08, 2019 10:04 pm 
That's what grows in that area. I am not at all surprised. Is it ready for a commercial thin?

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSat Nov 09, 2019 9:10 am 
What uses to be a nice view is ruined by all those trees. Thanks, MTS Greenway. mad.gif clown.gif

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Nov 09, 2019 9:31 am 
Spent the night on WT3 about then with the lights twinkling below and Rainier with alpenglow to the south. Now Cableline is just a conditioning hike.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSat Nov 09, 2019 1:27 pm 
Since it's rainy outside here's another one. I called this Bonsai Point because for many years the tree growing at the apex was quite small. The name doesn't fit so well any more, but it was just getting started in 1972. The angle doesn't quite match -- I'll have to get a better current photo sometime.
1972 Bob and Ira Spring photo
1972 Bob and Ira Spring photo

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostSat Nov 09, 2019 4:00 pm 
Very cool to see - thanks puzzlr and Jim!

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSat Nov 09, 2019 4:18 pm 
Cool! I love old vs. new pics. Back around 2006 my friends and I camped at Lake Rowena. There was a tree growing next to the camp spot that I took a picture of with my friend standing next to it. We said if we ever went back there we'd take that picture with us to see how much the tree had grown. Now that's not prime tree growing habitat - down in a deep valley that doesn't get much sunlight at 5000' - but it would be interesting to see if we could detect a difference. I wonder when I'll get back there to check on it?

kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostTue Nov 12, 2019 6:17 pm 
A few years back we went Christmas tree cutting up the Nile in the Naches Ranger District. We found a nice tree, about 8 feet tall and cut it down. Out of curiosity, I counted the rings (the "trunk" was about 4 - 5 inches across) and discovered the tree was more than 50 years old. We felt terrible, it was like a desecration. Trees grow slower on the east side

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Nov 13, 2019 5:54 am 
kbatku wrote:
A few years back we went Christmas tree cutting up the Nile in the Naches Ranger District. We found a nice tree, about 8 feet tall and cut it down. Out of curiosity, I counted the rings (the "trunk" was about 4 - 5 inches across) and discovered the tree was more than 50 years old. We felt terrible, it was like a desecration. Trees grow slower on the east side
And the best wild xmas trees are the ones that are all by themselves, with lots of branches because they are in the open. I have mixed feelings about cutting wild trees on the east side. On the west side--cut away! 'Cept the Noble Firs are often snowed in or are now too big to cut. I threaten to cut a larch for a xmas tree.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostWed Nov 13, 2019 6:46 am 
Go ahead but please wait until the summer so we can talk about someone cutting a tree on here

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Nov 13, 2019 3:55 pm 
Sky Hiker wrote:
Go ahead but please wait until the summer so we can talk about someone cutting a tree on here
Or, it can be burned after Xmas, leaving a crater in the snow in .....MY YARD!!! eek.gif Providing we get snow.