Forum Index > Trip Reports > Rooster Ledge - Mid Fork
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
whitebark

whitebark
PostSat Nov 09, 2019 12:05 pm 
I had long admired a large cliff located at 2800' above Quartz Creek near the south ridge of Rooster Mountain, and on a recent fine November day I decided to visit it. After parking at the Snoqualmie Lake trailhead, I hiked to the Quartz Creek road/trail and followed it a half mile up to where it passes by a clearing in the forest created for a mine remediation project. This clearing is at the base of Rooster's south ridge. Here I left the trail and headed up the ridge which provided relatively easy going in open second growth forest. Most blowdowns could be skirted, but one area of bad blowdown at about 2100' forced me to make a short diversion to the east of the ridge. Above the blowdown, the ridge flattened out and I rested at a sunny viewpoint atop a minor ledge. Above the flat, the ridge became increasingly steep and I eventually encountered a cliff at 2600', which I dodged by going right and scrambling up a steep slope to the east of the cliff. The steep but short scramble section was nothing difficult or dangerous, and soon the ridge eased off a bit, though for the first time brush become a minor problem. At 2900' I encountered an old road bed and followed it to the west. At this point I realized the time was getting late and Rooster Ledge was nowhere in sight. So I abandoned the search for the cliff and instead walked the road all the way to where it joins the Rooster Mountain road at a switchback. Though long abandoned, the road had only minor brush and blowdown and I could make good time on it. The Rooster road was in good shape with logs cut, although the awful drainage ditches were still there and annoying as ever. The worst of these are on the second and third switchbacks as you ascend. Using the Rooster road and Quartz Creek road, I headed back to the trailhead.
route to Rooster Ledge
route to Rooster Ledge
Two days later, I returned to the area to find the Rooster Ledge, after studying aerial photos to make sure I knew exactly where the ledge was. I hiked the same route as before until I reached 2800' then traversed west. I passed the top of a minor cliff then headed through a forested area. Rooster Ledge was soon found, and it provided a sunny perch with a grand view toward the Middle Fork valley and Preacher Mountain beyond. Behind the ledge was a forested flat that could make a nice camp spot if you could find water. Instead of climbing to the road and returning the way I used last time, I went back down the ridge to get to the Quartz Creek trail. A fun day all in all in the Mid Fork, where interesting new adventures always await for the adventurous spirit.
view from Rooster Ledge
view from Rooster Ledge

Now I Fly, Fedor
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostSat Nov 09, 2019 3:58 pm 
Good stuff up.gif Always appreciate your TRs.

mosey

mosey
PostSun Nov 10, 2019 9:43 am 
Up every valley and ridge there's adventure! Good read.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Nov 11, 2019 1:31 pm 
Great idea to go up the ridge! I've had my eye on this too but assumed I'd get to it from the road you returned on during the first attempt. Nice to know the forest isn't too brushy to go straight up. This photo from the SE ridge of Quartz shows that ledge really well
Rooster from Quartz
Rooster from Quartz
whitebark wrote:
I had long admired a large cliff located at 2800' above Quartz Creek near the south ridge of Rooster Mountain
You're not the only one. This has been considered by USFS and MTSG trail planners as another destination for a new trail. I don't know any details or the status of the planning, but it would be a nice mirror to the new Garfield Ledges trail across the valley.

whitebark

whitebark
PostMon Nov 11, 2019 1:44 pm 
Great pic! The best viewpoint on the cliff is the high point on the right side.

nordique

nordique
PostMon Nov 11, 2019 5:05 pm 
So, some one-pitch climbing routes that could be top roped from the top. Will have to research Quartz Creek! Thanks for the report!

Bluebird
suffering optional

Bluebird
suffering optional
PostTue Nov 12, 2019 9:03 am 
right up my alley, thanks for sharing!