Forum Index > Trail Talk > Cable Line attempted assault
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostWed Nov 13, 2019 4:16 am 
The story is legit. (At least as far as I was told). It happened to someone I know. Briefly: He saw the guys in the parking lot and turned around and decided to go up cable line. The guys followed with their truck. One of the guys followed him up cable line and seemed to keep pace. By this time the guy I know was on the line with LE. He turned on tmt and tried to hide but was followed. He Thought the pursuer stoped because he could see he was on the phone. The guy I know then went straight down through the woods. Guys were gone by the time he got down. Iss police showed up fast but couldn’t take a report because it’s unincorporated and under King co. They showed up later.

When I grow up I wanna play.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Nov 13, 2019 5:48 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
How could 40-50 yo chain smokers move up the cable line with any sort of speed?
On their feet. I know folks who have been running around in the woods since they were tots. Some ar .smokers, some are...overweight and they can move fast and efficiently because they are used to doing so. One guy I know looks like a fat slob but he is nimble and quick and hard to keep up with. Appearances are deceiving.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
neek

neek
PostWed Nov 13, 2019 9:24 am 
Creepy story. FWIW, I once followed a train of cigarette butts to the top of Pugh.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Nov 13, 2019 10:59 am 
Some folks on this site are a bit weighty and make it to ridiculous places. Peppersteak can outpace lots of folks; while not weighty and doesn’t smoke, he hikes in sweatshirt and blue jeans, which is equivalent. My parents both were heavy smokers and crawled all over the Rockies. Not very fast, but if they wanted to stalk and murder someone, they could have pulled the lead out. I recall my mom lunging across the room at lightning speed, wanting to wring my neck when I got caught skipping school. I didn't know she had it in her. Surprised the hell out of me. And lookit the guys who got lost up the Bachelor Creek watershed this summer. And here’s another scenario; how about this: the sign is indeed a hoax, and was crafted by someone who doesn’t want the hoards on Cable Line trail. But truly; I think the biggest driver of this unusually paranoid discussion and grammar picking about this particular sign among all other signs depicted on this site is that it coincides with a full moon.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Kascadia

Kascadia
PostWed Nov 13, 2019 12:02 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
while not weighty and doesn’t smoke, he hikes in sweatshirt and blue jeans, which is equivalent
LOL

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostWed Nov 13, 2019 12:39 pm 
fourteen410 wrote:
The note reeks of a personal agenda.
I don't get how that could be, when it doesn't come close to identifying a specific person.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Nov 13, 2019 1:16 pm 
cascadeclimber wrote:
So you can go on debating the truthiness of the two signs (he says, trying to imagine why someone would take the time and energy to write, print, laminate, and hang them if they are fake)
Personally I am "trying to imagine why someone would take the time and energy to write, print, laminate, and hang them" without first making sure the sign actually makes sense. Any objective reading of the sign has to conclude it is at the very least oddly written, which is bound to lead to doubts among those that read the sign. If it's important and calling for action, it should be concise. As it is, it raises questions about authenticity and deserves picking at its peculiar wording and vagueness.
cascadeclimber wrote:
but my request remains the same: If you are hassled or see someone getting hassled or see people looking into cars, etc. PLEASE CALL THE POLICE.
I don't think anyone has questioned that part of your posts here. That is quite separate and apart from the questioning of the sign itself. And again, it is good to be reminded to be vigilant about one's personal safety and that of others.
cascadeclimber wrote:
If we don't push the authorities, I fear the area will turn into a place I don't want to go at night for fear of my safety.
I asked further up in this thread about calling 911. AFAICS, no one has responded to that question, not even those who nitpick about the grammar/word nitpickers. So ... #1 If one calls 911 about this are the 911 operators aware of this scenario and flagging calls about it? Is LE actively in search of these fellows and wanting to question them? Or are they going to say something like "what Cable Line incident are you talking about?" #2 What should one tell the 911 operator if one "sees that pickup truck or any of these three individuals hanging around a trailhead"? I point this out because just about the fastest way to get complaints shuffled onto the far back burner of LE is to have a bunch of false sightings. And with the vague desriptions given, i.e. medium-oldish plain-white pickup truck" and "three white males, late forties early fifties, average height ...", that could trigger a lot of unnecessary calls to 911. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Nov 13, 2019 1:22 pm 
This could create a whole new genre: Thread-noir.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostWed Nov 13, 2019 1:49 pm 
I dont get what the offender(s) did to the alleged victim other than make him uncomfortable. Unfortunately, anyone can use public land, even those that seem unsavory. All the note suggests is that a guy hiked the same way as him. I'm not saying it didnt happen or there wasnt ill intent but all that happened was people smoked cigarettes (legal), had a beat up truck (legal), maybe had a knife (legal), and hiked the same way as this guy (legal). I get being uncomfortable by certain types of people or certain actions but if they aren't illegal, there is nothing anyone can do. I'm not into testing my luck so, I would just leave but I also know police cant do anything unless something actually happens. The story definitely could trigger animosity towards a user group from a different user group typical of Seattleites.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Nov 13, 2019 3:48 pm 
There was a thread a while ago about a scary guy who was dressed in rigging clothes (which are cotton) and carrying an axe. I think it turned out to be somebody wearing rigging clothes who was going to chop a down tree out of the trail? Best stay away from East Lewis County if scairt of them folks.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Moose

Moose
PostWed Nov 13, 2019 6:14 pm 
I'm a woman and I hike alone fairly often, often to pretty remote places. There have only been two times when I've been seriously creeped out on the trail or at the TH and both were within spitting distance of 90. Once on the Taylor River trail just past Otter Falls (when I was running toward Lake Dorothy / Snoqualmie Lake and I passed a large male hiker who was headed in the opposite direction, but who promptly turned around and started following me back up the trail). The other time was two summers ago, when I parked at Exit 20 for an after-work hike up Cable Line and two guys approached me trying to sell me "their" iPhone because their car was dead and they needed gas money. I said no, obviously, and they got kind of aggressive, even going as far as to stand in front of my car to prevent me from leaving. It's a shame but I haven't been back to Cable Line since. There are plenty of decent trails to run in the area without having to deal with that sh*t.

Vertec

Vertec
PostWed Nov 13, 2019 10:40 pm 
FWIW, the same notice is posted at the Mount Pilchuck trailhead.

Out There, carrying the self-evident truth I am endowed by my Creator with unalienable rights of self-defended Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.
Brian R

Brian R
PostWed Nov 13, 2019 10:51 pm 
Vertec wrote:
FWIW, the same notice is posted at the Mount Pilchuck trailhead.
Well, that pretty much settles it. Some tool with a manifesto hatred of caricature rural bogeymen--real and imagined. The stereotypes in the notice were just a little too perfect. Sad.

peppersteak'n'ale

peppersteak'n'ale
PostWed Nov 13, 2019 11:34 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
Peppersteak can outpace lots of folks; while not weighty and doesn’t smoke, he hikes in sweatshirt and blue jeans, which is equivalent.
LMAO, those jeans had some special powers. I also can't believe it has been over 10 years since we did the Cady Ridge/Lil Wenatchee loop together

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostWed Nov 13, 2019 11:35 pm 
How do they know these guys are all chain smoking? I could see a situation where even if they are following, they will be out of view for a few moments and maybe going no cig during that time so technically it's not chain smoking it's just heavily smoking. Unless you're closely monitoring their cig use in great detail