Forum Index > Trail Talk > Cable Line attempted assault
Previous :: Next Topic  
Author Message
Damian
Member
Member


Joined: 18 Dec 2001
Posts: 3100 | TRs

Damian
  Top

Member
PostThu Nov 14, 2019 1:13 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Highly suggest the Iss Alps be avoided.  Very dangerous folks with potential knives.
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Kim Brown
Member
Member


Joined: 13 Jul 2009
Posts: 5481 | TRs

Kim Brown
  Top

Member
PostThu Nov 14, 2019 1:52 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Damian wrote:
Highly suggest the Iss Alps be avoided.  Very dangerous folks with potential knives.

Potential knives? Or actual knives? Steak, butter, or paring. Serrated? Dull? If paring, paring what. Pears, apples?  Bosc, Anjou, or prickly? I gotta know, please. Please tell me; I gotta know.

--------------
" I'm really happy about this! I have very strong good and horrible memories up there."  oldgranola, NWHs outdoors advocate.
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Bernardo
Member
Member


Joined: 08 Feb 2010
Posts: 1976 | TRs
Location: out and about in the world
Bernardo
  Top

Member
PostThu Nov 14, 2019 2:03 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
I thought this was going to be an interesting thread about a failed expedition to conquer the cable line, includings tails of porters, internal party tensions, horrible weather, extreme hardship, despondancy, heroism, avalanches, frostbite, fevers, etc.
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Cyclopath
Faster than light



Joined: 20 Mar 2012
Posts: 3351 | TRs
Location: Seattle
Cyclopath
  Top

Faster than light
PostThu Nov 14, 2019 2:07 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Kim Brown wrote:
Potential knives? Or actual knives? Steak, butter, or paring. Serrated? Dull? If paring, paring what. Pears, apples?  Bosc, Anjou, or prickly? I gotta know, please. Please tell me; I gotta know.

It's it really paring if it's an apple?

We need a trailhead sign to know for sure.
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Vertec
Member
Member


Joined: 08 Sep 2018
Posts: 104 | TRs

Vertec
  Top

Member
PostThu Nov 14, 2019 2:56 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Chief Joseph wrote:
neek wrote:
Vertec wrote:
FWIW, the same notice is posted at the Mount Pilchuck trailhead.

The same exact sign?  Mentioning "Cable Line"?  I find that hard to believe.  Anyway none of the 19 Pilchuck reports posted on WTA since Oct 11 mention it.

I saw the sign while hiking Pilchuck last week,it is just a few yards up the trail. Not sure if it's the exact same sign, pretty sure it just is a warning as to what happened on the cable line trail and to be aware.

Thanks for the +1.  Yes, the exact same sign (lamination, font, nails, etc..) was at Pilchuck before 11/1.  I have a photo, but really didn't want to waste the space needed to post it.

Seems to me these types of issues are on the rise.  Yes this is a hiking forum, but we can't ignore the fact that these types of issues affect our activities.  I'd rather see this type of information shared so people can make their own decisions based on as much information as possible.  Doing so can hopefully contribute to a decrease in these issues.  Ignorance and denial won't make them go away.

Everyone can apply their own "filter" as they see fit.

--------------
Out There, carrying the self-evident truth I am endowed by my Creator with unalienable rights of self-defended Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
neek
Member
Member


Joined: 12 Sep 2011
Posts: 823 | TRs
Location: Seattle, WA
neek
  Top

Member
PostThu Nov 14, 2019 3:06 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Vertec wrote:
Yes, the exact same sign (lamination, font, nails, etc..) was at Pilchuck before 11/1.

Really weird.  Pilchuck is not exactly close to Tiger.  BTW, I hope it didn't sound like I was questioning you - just thought for sure it would have been a different sign.

Vertec wrote:
Seems to me these types of issues are on the rise.  Yes this is a hiking forum, but we can't ignore the fact that these types of issues affect our activities.  I'd rather see this type of information shared so people can make their own decisions based on as much information as possible.  Doing so can hopefully contribute to a decrease in these issues.  Ignorance and denial won't make them go away.

Agreed.  I appreciate CC's post.
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Doppelganger
Gorecrow



Joined: 09 Feb 2006
Posts: 1590 | TRs
Location: Pessimising
Doppelganger
  Top

Gorecrow
PostThu Nov 14, 2019 3:22 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Vertec wrote:
Yes, the exact same sign (lamination, font, nails, etc..)

Huh, I figured there was a sign but I was not expecting a match on each of those details. That's strange for sure. My guess is that Brushwork's associate is posting this warning at THs where they have had occasion to hike since the date of the incident, but just a wild guess.

Vertec wrote:
Everyone can apply their own "filter" as they see fit.

+1
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Vertec
Member
Member


Joined: 08 Sep 2018
Posts: 104 | TRs

Vertec
  Top

Member
PostThu Nov 14, 2019 3:41 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
neek wrote:
I hope it didn't sound like I was questioning you

No problem.  ....filtering...   dizzy.gif

However, less noise makes filtering easier.  Anyone around in the last year or so is painfully aware of this (me included).  "Lessons learned":


(case closed)

--------------
Out There, carrying the self-evident truth I am endowed by my Creator with unalienable rights of self-defended Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Damian
Member
Member


Joined: 18 Dec 2001
Posts: 3100 | TRs

Damian
  Top

Member
PostThu Nov 14, 2019 5:45 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Kim Brown wrote:
Damian wrote:
Highly suggest the Iss Alps be avoided.  Very dangerous folks with potential knives.

Potential knives? Or actual knives? Steak, butter, or paring. Serrated? Dull? If paring, paring what. Pears, apples?  Bosc, Anjou, or prickly? I gotta know, please. Please tell me; I gotta know.

Kim you've got it all mixed up again as usual.  Potential Knife has potential by virtue of its position in time and space.  Near the Earth's surface, knife potential is defined as it's mass times gravitational accelleration (32.2 ft/sec**2) times its elevation with respct to something else.
Unlike Kinetic Knife, whose kineticness is defined by it's mass times its velocity squared, then multiplied by one half.
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Pahoehoe
Member
Member


Joined: 12 Oct 2017
Posts: 415 | TRs

Pahoehoe
  Top

Member
PostThu Nov 14, 2019 7:47 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
I'm all for honestly sharing crimes that have been committed or attempted.

My car was broken onto.

I was mugged.

I was car jacked.

A guy demanded mu wallet but I fought him off.

Otherwise its damaging.  I'm pretty sure if those three chainsmokers really wanted to victimize anonymous potential victim, they would have.
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Kim Brown
Member
Member


Joined: 13 Jul 2009
Posts: 5481 | TRs

Kim Brown
  Top

Member
PostThu Nov 14, 2019 7:54 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Damian wrote:
Kim you've got it all mixed up again as usual.  bblah, blah, wiener neener hocus pocus walla walla washington

O stop talking rot.

Besides, it's 'its,' hoser.  headrub.gif

--------------
" I'm really happy about this! I have very strong good and horrible memories up there."  oldgranola, NWHs outdoors advocate.
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Damian
Member
Member


Joined: 18 Dec 2001
Posts: 3100 | TRs

Damian
  Top

Member
PostThu Nov 14, 2019 8:35 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
I never said those words.  The quote function is broken.  My intalek is wasted on you Kim Brown.
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
uww
Member
Member


Joined: 16 Dec 2015
Posts: 141 | TRs

uww
  Top

Member
PostThu Nov 14, 2019 8:42 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Pahoehoe wrote:
I'm all for honestly sharing crimes that have been committed or attempted.

My car was broken onto.

I was mugged.

I was car jacked.

A guy demanded mu wallet but I fought him off.

Otherwise its damaging.  I'm pretty sure if those three chainsmokers really wanted to victimize anonymous potential victim, they would have.


I sincerely apolozize for my damaging police report when I thought I was scaring off the two guys who were casing cars at the Dickerman trailhead. I did not actually see them enter a vehicle. Hanging around another car while your buddy keeps lookout in his running truck is not a crime, and neither is following somoene up a trail and then cornering them off trail.  I should have let them proceed instead of ruining their enjoyment of the mountains. The car with a broken window I saw later was probably just a coincidence.
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
RumiDude
Marmota olympus



Joined: 26 Jul 2009
Posts: 2749 | TRs
Location: Port Angeles
RumiDude
  Top

Marmota olympus
PostThu Nov 14, 2019 9:11 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Kim Brown wrote:
RumiDude is asking us what hes supposed to think and do about the sign, as if this sign is different from any other warning sign or he's never seen a sign before, and doesn't know what to think

No, you re the one who earlier in the thread wrote: "It's a warning sign someone put up." I am saying the sign doesn't make sense.  And because of that I think it probably should be taken with a grain of salt, maybe even pulled down.

Additionally the sign is telling people to call 911 if they see blah blah medium-old, average blah blah, late/early blah, blah blah chain smoking ... sounds like my neighbor down the street desription. That would most likely result in an awkward conversation with the operator and do the opposite of what CC wants, which is to get LE to take crime at these trailheads seriously.

If someone sees illegal or highly suspicious behavior, indeed call 911. I don't think I or anyone else has disputed that in this thread. But that is pretty obvious advice. Kinda like don't forget to take your umbrella if it looks like rain, look both ways before crossing the street, don't accept candy from strangers, wear sunscreen, blah blah blah blah blah ...

Rumi

--------------
"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Pahoehoe
Member
Member


Joined: 12 Oct 2017
Posts: 415 | TRs

Pahoehoe
  Top

Member
PostThu Nov 14, 2019 10:20 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
uww wrote:
I sincerely apolozize for my damaging police report when I thought I was scaring off the two guys who were casing cars at the Dickerman trailhead. I did not actually see them enter a vehicle. Hanging around another car while your buddy keeps lookout in his running truck is not a crime, and neither is following somoene up a trail and then cornering them off trail.  I should have let them proceed instead of ruining their enjoyment of the mountains. The car with a broken window I saw later was probably just a coincidence.

Calling the police when something suspicious like car prowling at a trailhead is actually happening is different than posting flyers with a vague description of a type of person that might have had a weapon and might have followed a person to maybe take his wallet and keys and suggesting they call the police if they see these vaguely described people.
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Trail Talk > Cable Line attempted assault
  Happy Birthday Otter, CampChamp, Wolfman!
Jump to:   
Search this topic:

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
   Use Disclaimer Powered by phpBB Privacy Policy