Forum Index > Trail Talk > Climber falls 100' on Mt. Stuart
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostWed Jul 08, 2020 4:29 pm 
The Wenatchee paper is down to four days a week now and is delivered late in the afternoon on three of those days. This was in today's paper: LEAVENWORTH — Rescue crews airlifted an injured climber Tuesday after he fell roughly 100 feet while descending Mount Stuart. Pete Schoepke, 43, of Portland was solo climbing down the Cascadian Couloir, a rocky and steep route segment often used to summit the mountain. Schoepke called 911 at 12:28 p.m., reporting that he had an open, compound fracture to his lower leg, according to a press release from the Chelan County Sheriff’s Office. Shortly after, the KITTCOM emergency dispatch center forwarded information to Sheriff’s Office search and rescue coordinators. Naval Air Base Whidbey Island then flew out a hoist-capable helicopter to help rescue the fallen climber, according to the release. State Emergency Management texted Schoepke while organizing the rescue. Due to winds and low clouds, Navy rescuers could initially only drop down two medic corpsmen below Schoepke, according to the release. The corpsmen then made their way up to Schoepke. The helicopter crew waited several hours for a better weather window, but to no avail, according to the release. Rescuers then decided it would be necessary to relocate Schoepke to a more accessible location. To get help moving Schoepke, the helicopter flew to Pangborn Memorial Airport, picked up three Chelan County Mountain Rescue crew members and dropped them off on the mountain. Shortly after that, the weather cleared briefly at about 8:30 p.m. and the helicopter crew was able to conduct a hoist extraction of Schoepke and the two Navy medics, without having to relocate him. He was flown to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle for treatment, according to the release. The Navy helicopter then flew back to Mount Stuart and picked up the Mountain Rescue team. Schoepke is in “serious but stable condition,” according to the release.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostWed Jul 08, 2020 6:59 pm 
It is quite possible that he slipped on the snow. But the Cascadian Couloir is a lot easier to get into than out of. You have to mentally establish a landmark because on the descent there is a tendency to drop past the entry point into very steep terrain.

Moose

Moose
PostThu Jul 09, 2020 12:17 pm 
Jeff wrote:
I saw the headline earlier today and thought "I know the exact spot this happened." The article said 8600ft. I opened up caltopo and confirmed what I knew. That snowfield breaks so many people. It's not difficult, but it persists very late in the season and catches people off guard. A few years ago there were back to back weekends where a heli had to pull someone out. I bet there is at least one every summer. I've only gone down it once but i was happy to have a helmet, ice axe, and crampons even in August.
Yeah - did this happen on the snowfield just below the false summit (before you gain the ridge and cross over to finish climbing on the other side)? That was my first thought as well. Getting up was easy; but getting down was several hundred excruciating feet of downclimbing on front points. I remember watching someone much braver than I glissade down the slope with a sick feeling in my stomach.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostThu Jul 09, 2020 2:37 pm 
Good luck to the injured climber. I wonder if this was where a friend mentioned years ago seeing the track in the snow from a long slide puncuated at the bottom by bloody snow surrounding a rock at the bottom of the track. This was one of the stories he would tell when teaching others about use of ice axes, as he wanted to be sure we understood that if you don't instantly stop a slide you many get moving too fast to have a hope of stopping it, and that on a certain combo of steepness and hardness you may just not be able to stop it period. He never learned what happened to whoever left their blood on the snow there.

gb

gb
PostThu Jul 09, 2020 3:30 pm 
joker wrote:
Good luck to the injured climber. I wonder if this was where a friend mentioned years ago seeing the track in the snow from a long slide puncuated at the bottom by bloody snow surrounding a rock at the bottom of the track. This was one of the stories he would tell when teaching others about use of ice axes, as he wanted to be sure we understood that if you don't instantly stop a slide you many get moving too fast to have a hope of stopping it, and that on a certain combo of steepness and hardness you may just not be able to stop it period. He never learned what happened to whoever left their blood on the snow there.
The slope angle high on that snowfield is probably about 45 degrees. It is definite face-in down climbing except maybe in May-June.

pula58

pula58
PostSat Jul 11, 2020 9:35 am 
I have been up and down that slope-hated it. Definitely a place to face-in, and use best/most careful ice axe technique and footwork, and use crampons if the snow conditions warrant it. I climbed the North ridge of Stuart (having done the cascadian couloir route a few years previously) and the whole way up the technical North Ridge, in the back of my mind, I was worrying about having to go down that snow slope under the false summit. Hope the injured climber mends well.

Kascadia

Kascadia
PostSat Jul 11, 2020 10:48 am 
joker wrote:
Ditto the good luck to the injured climber, compound fractures can kill. I believe someone died on that slope in 2018.

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
Guiran

Guiran
PostSun Jul 12, 2020 1:01 pm 
Normally, when I descend Stuart, I go over the false summit, which, as noted by others, requires either downclimbing the steep snow field or messing around in the loose look on the margins. The last time I climbed the west ridge, I was directed towards a bypass below the false summit. Coming back from the true summit, drop maybe 100' into Ulrich's couloir to a notch in the ridge where one either makes an exposed move over a boulder or wriggles through a narrow slot. This route pops out low on the snow field and minimizes time spent on either the snow or lousy rock. Two years ago, this option was pretty well cairned, as is the standard route back over the false summit.