Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Advice for moving to the Northwest
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Michael Lewis
Taking a nap

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap
PostThu Nov 28, 2019 12:44 pm 
There's CT bus stops in Whitehorse on Swede Heaven that I've used to hike up Whitehorse and Round mountain. In downtown Darrington the last stop is about a 22 mile bike ride to NF Sauk trailhead which I've done for Kololo. I've also biked to Cascade Pass from Givens (IGA) but that was over the top. Lots of good stuff back there but quite the commute if work isn't local. Bike not necessary for the stuff by the highway.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostFri Nov 29, 2019 11:03 am 
I, too, recommend, for Portland, that you locate close to one of the MAX (light rail) lines and well outside the downtown area (although not quite as far east as I am in Troutdale). If you prefer the Coast Range and ocean beaches, try the west side. If you prefer the Cascades, the Gorge, and snow sports, try the east side. Driving across town is a major pain, and I no longer will do it.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
RichP

RichP
PostFri Nov 29, 2019 11:14 am 
One thing you'll miss about south Ga is a 70-degree day for Thanksgiving. wink.gif

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Nov 30, 2019 11:13 pm 
Vidalia wrote:
This first move is a one year test so I will rent to start with. I have traveled to and hiked dozens of times to Oregon, Washington and Montana and since I find myself completely free for the first time in my life I want to spend serious time exploring the area there. I could stay in Georgia and fly out and back but you don't have the same options that I would living there.
One negative about Montana is that although they have no sales tax, their Property Taxes are pretty high to compensate for that. Idaho is the best imho as far as laws and cost of living go, plus excellent outdoor recreation opportunities.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Vidalia

Vidalia
PostSun Dec 01, 2019 9:06 am 
All ideas and suggestions are appreciated. The input from y'all has been helpful while working through the options. Focusing on the Portland area and trying to understand the neighborhoods, transportation options, easy access to nightlife, food markets, parks, etc is daunting but I'm slowly becoming educated. I plan on spending a week there sometime in December to look around. Anything I should try and do while there that would help me understand the city better?

The most difficult thing in life is making a decision to do something..... the rest is only mechanics!
Vidalia

Vidalia
PostSun Dec 01, 2019 9:24 am 
And as to no more Thanksgivings in the 70's once I leave Georgia... Yes, but, to find anywhere challenging and new to hike I must drive at least 4 hours each way. In the summer it stays in the 90's for several months with humidity making the heat index hit 100+ on a routine basis. The black flies, mosquitoes, gnats, various biting flies, love bugs, poisonous snakes, etc, find this weather delightful. Droughts are becoming routine. The mindset of most rural areas is a culture all its own. I will miss it all! I want to connect with outdoor oriented people that enjoy, hiking, backpacking, sea kayaking, biking and exploration. Yes, and all this while enjoying what seems to be a very interesting city, Portland. The access to both the Coast Starlight and the Empire Builder enhances the allure of Portland. I have flown to Seattle and Portland from Atlanta just to hop on a long distance Amtrak train and ride all the way back home. I do enjoy good food, music, the arts and such so having access to that important. A one year experiment is a good way to look at this. A year from now I hope to be figuring out where to be next.

The most difficult thing in life is making a decision to do something..... the rest is only mechanics!
Kascadia

Kascadia
PostSun Dec 01, 2019 11:11 am 
I moved from the Southeast (Memphis) to Seattle in 1984. Archimedes does not have a lever long enough. . . . Enjoy!

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
Vidalia

Vidalia
PostSun Dec 01, 2019 1:34 pm 
Kascadia wrote:
I moved from the Southeast (Memphis) to Seattle in 1984. Archimedes does not have a lever long enough. . . .
I hear you! I have spent so much of my adult life trying to get to the PNW almost every year I don't think I will ever want to leave.