Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > DNR article re vandalism on land
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Nov 18, 2019 12:57 pm 
“Restricting public access is not something we want to do,” Dobey said. “But if citizens continually abuse the land and we aren’t able to keep it appropriately cared for, unfortunately that has [resulted in gate closures].” DNR blog here

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Nov 18, 2019 1:43 pm 
Jerks. I have never understood why people will spend about $20 in gas to drive out somewhere to dump their garbage, when the county dump might charge $5 for it and is in a handy location. Perhaps they are people who do not understand economics? There was a collection of appliances way the heck up the Watch Mtn. road out of Randle. That took a bit of fuel along with abuse to the truck. I was afraid to look in the freezer. The closer you get to I-5, the worse it gets. The bodies start getting dumped once you get around Elbe. At least, that's how it has been in the past. Whilst riding our humming bikes, we came across a burned out camper in the Conconully area. There's that to clean up. It did look like the vandals had put a fire line around it before or after torching it. The FS now knows about it.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Nov 18, 2019 1:50 pm 
Given the calibre and quality of the dumping, I don't think these people are reasoning about anything at all; certainly not about economy. They're just jerks is all.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostMon Nov 18, 2019 1:57 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
people will spend about $20 in gas to drive out somewhere to dump their garbage, when the county dump might charge $5 for it and is in a handy location.
Not here. It costs $17 to take anything to the transfer station in Snohomish County, no matter how small. You can dump 500 lbs. for $17, and you can dump a bent straw for $17. Even when I pull my trailer, I cannot get anywhere near 500 lbs. It is a system that inadvertently puts people with trash on back roads, and it is just stupid. Dumping up to 100 lbs. of trash at a transfer station should be free with proof that you have home garbage service. The service requirement prevents folks from trying to haul all their own trash, which would not work out so well. Can you post a link to a county dump that charges $5?

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Nov 18, 2019 3:30 pm 
Sculpin wrote:
Can you post a link to a county dump that charges $5?
Okanogan County charges close to that. $15.54 MINIMUM FEE UP TO 360LB https://www.okanogancounty.org/PW/Solid_Waste_Recycling/RATES%20&%20HOURS%20FLIER.pdf

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Nov 18, 2019 5:28 pm 
Tacoma Public Utilities / City of Tacoma Solid Waste Utility / Transfer Station on South Mullen Street In-City Residents WITH TPU Account: $20.00 first 400 pounds $7.25 each additional 100 pounds large furniture: ADD $11.00 for first four pieces (mattresses, sofas, chairs) appliances: ADD $20.00 per unit (stoves, refrigerators) NON-City Resident WITHOUT TPU Account: $20.00 first 100 pounds $7.25 each additional 100 pounds large furniture: ADD $40.00 for first four pieces (mattress, sofas, chairs) appliances: ADD $40.00 each unit (stoves, refrigerators) If you live in a RENTAL unit, you do not have a TPU account. Your landlord does (at least where it concerns garbage, recycling, or yard waste.) You would therefore pay the NON-City resident rates. It's not difficult to understand the WHY part. Disposing of garbage is expensive. ALL of the solid waste here is loaded on rail cars and transported out of the city. The problem of people dumping garbage outdoors, and whether or not they would or would not if the garbage disposal rates were cheaper, is not a new discussion - this has been bandied about for decades. Unfortunately, the cost of disposing of solid waste isn't getting any cheaper, and municipalities are not in any financial position to be willing to pick up the tab. I'm going to posit that some of this is carry-over from times past, where any available open land was fair game for the disposal of broken hot water heaters, barbecue grills, or stained mattresses. We had two "neighborhood dumps" within half a mile of the house I grew up in, which were both still in use during the early 1960s. Housing developments just moved them to other sites, like South Tyler Street between South 48th and 56th Streets. As long as the people who do this continue to get away with it, and as long as city and county prosecutors view it as low-level, low-priority crime not worth the time to prosecute, and as long as judges continue to pass down sentences that hardly amount to the proverbial "slap on the wrist" - Casey Nocket was sentenced to 200 hours of community service and banned from all National Parks for two years with NO jail time and NO monetary fine - this nonsense will continue unabated. As to the comment from the DNR staffer where he says people claimed "they didn't know", I have to call BS. If they really thought it was okay to dump their garbage in the woods, why didn't they just drive down to the nearest park? Why did they feel it necessary to haul it way the hell out in the boonies? Short answer: they knew what they were doing, and they knew it was illegal. When they start doing some rabid enforcement and assessing gigantic monetary penalties, things will change. Until then, it will remain the same or get worse.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Nov 18, 2019 5:52 pm 
https://www.klickitatcounty.org/375/Landfills-Transfer-Stations
Quote:
Minimum Gate Fee: $7 - Includes disposal of up to 1 cubic yard of trash. Disposal: $5 per yard plus tax for Klickitat County residents. $13 per yard plus tax for out of county loads. Driver's license or other proof of residence may be required.
However, there is plenty of crap dumped in the woods regardless. I don't get it either, makes little sense. And yes, they do check your address when you show up.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Nov 18, 2019 8:54 pm 
Hesman wrote:
Televisions are $25 each, while computers and crt computer monitors are $15 each.
That's crazy. This guy will take them off your hands free: Oakland Television & Radio 3901 Center St, Tacoma, WA, 98409 All of the dead television sets, computers, and monitors I have to get rid of go to him. COPY MACHINES that use toner: You're on your own. Almost as difficult to get rid of as old used office furniture or "entertainment centers".

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Nov 18, 2019 8:58 pm 
Timely thread, actually. Thanksgiving is coming up. Time for this classic, about dumping garbage and Thanksgiving. (you know what it is even before clicking the link, don't you?)

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Nov 18, 2019 9:40 pm 
Sculpin wrote:
Can you post a link to a county dump that charges $5?
,At the time of the appliance center, it was $5 at the Morton (Lewis County) transfer station. As of 2 years ago, the cost had gone up to $10. Still cheaper than driving to the end of the Watch Mtn. Road. And, once a year, you can get a coupon and dump for free. It is at a convenient location, right alongside highway 12 so when East Lewis Countians are going "out town" they can take the garbage and recyclables along. I did not have garbage service. I hauled my garbage to Morton once a month. They also have a brainless, uncomplicated recycling area. Humongus bins, at a easy to dump in level, with glass, aluminum, cardboard or, for the hates to separate stuff out, a mixed/no glass dumpster. Pretty good for a rural area. Here's yer link. Appliances are now $10 each. There was a tv recycling place in downtown Morton that took TVs and computers for free. Morton Dump prices

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Nov 19, 2019 7:00 am 
treeswarper wrote:
And, once a year, you can get a coupon and dump for free.
forgot to mention: Tacoma Public Utilities (TPU) has a "Call to Haul" program, which provides one free pick up per year of anything you can haul out to your curb except for yard waste or construction debris. (So you're on your own if you just pruned that laurel hedge or remodeled the bathroom.)

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Nov 19, 2019 7:27 am 
Ski wrote:
treeswarper wrote:
And, once a year, you can get a coupon and dump for free.
forgot to mention: Tacoma Public Utilities (TPU) has a "Call to Haul" program, which provides one free pick up per year of anything you can haul out to your curb except for yard waste or construction debris. (So you're on your own if you just pruned that laurel hedge or remodeled the bathroom.)
Omak does yard stuff twice a year. The spring one, we haul our own stuff to the Stampede Grounds, where various groups and agencies hand out freebies like compost bins. I came back with bins and a metal water bottle. It's pretty handy as people help unload your stuff and a chipper is right there. Then there is a curbside yard stuff pickup in the fall. Both are attempts to curb burning, which is still legal here. It hasn't been too successful in doing that and I will confess that I burned a bunch of tree trimmings that were piled up by the previous occupants of my house. It was too much to drag around, load and haul. I made it go up in flames quickly when there was snow on the ground.

Gregory

Gregory
PostTue Nov 19, 2019 8:14 am 
I would be careful self-reporting slash policing for DNR. The more abuse documented the faster they can take it away from the owners. Trust me they will and want to. They have closed everything along the Hood Canal and the Tahuya peninsula.I think big creek by Cushman is th only campsite left along the canal and one just outside of Belfair to accommodate the dirt bike, quad crowd. Unfortunately we need more cops in the woods but instead, we get useless beurocrats and phony biologists. The same is true for the Forest service. Thirty years ago I would see law enforcement once a week and was friends with them.. I have not seen a forest service cop since Christine was shot.

Gregory

Gregory
PostTue Nov 19, 2019 8:32 am 
One 32 gallon trash can at my recycle station a few blocks from home is ten dollars for the first can and two dollars fifty cents for additional cans. The transfer station is twenty dollars for the first 520lbs minimum fee or eighty dollars a ton which is two thousand lbs. No excuse for dumping but garbage is big buisness and is not cheap. It costs more to dump yard waste than dirty diapers. LOL

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Nov 19, 2019 9:47 am 
At least they bagged it. I remember being in the woods during a long weekend. On Tuesday, I'm thinking it was at the Cat Creek chimney, the campers were gone, but they had left their garbage neatly bagged in the camp. It was supposedly a pack it out spot. It was pretty easy to throw in the back of the truck and haul in though as animals had not torn up the bags. You see all sorts of stuff left behind. Some elk hunters would bring in big squares of carpet to put under their tents and then leave it. It became saturated and was too heavy for one person to load. A logger was working near one such spot and he walked his excavator over and picked up the carpet and put it in my pickup bed. It took 3 people to get it in a dumpster. Some folks buy cheap camping equipment and just leave it behind. I hauled two loads of ruined gear out of another camp by the Cispus River. The same logger who helped with the carpet went on a tirade about all the undies that are in the woods. It was an original speech with the main question of "Why do so many people shed their shorts in the woods?" I gave away a mylar balloon that had made it to the woods to another logger that said his wife would like it. It was still inflated and said, I Love You on it. So, it was recycled. up.gif