Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mojave Desert Classics: Spirit Mtn and NY Mtns, Two DPSers. Nov 13-15, 2019
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
John Morrow

John Morrow
PostSat Dec 07, 2019 12:07 pm 
DPS means a list of desert climbs and scrambles created by the Sierra Club Desert Peaks Section. We didn't really choose 'em for list bagging but more for aesthetic desert trips. Our hope was to continue south into the Sonoran Desert. After Spirit Mountain Wilderness proved too hot (I always loved this wilderness area of granite: see https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8019022) we drove to higher altitude in Mojave National Preserve for the New York Mountains. Nov 13: Spirit Mountain Wilderness Plenty of available beta for Spirit Mountain 5639'. Basically drive up the maintained gravel Christmas tree Pass Road to the pass and head up northward. Drop down the north side of a low pass and pick up a cairned route that climbs the SW slope/face of Spirit Mountain, finishing on the south ridge. Great area with such scenic granitic formations.
Jerry dreams of presents under the tree
Jerry dreams of presents under the tree
desert scene start
desert scene start
beginning to climb
beginning to climb
Beautiful granite
Beautiful granite
Summit block toward Devil's Thumb
Summit block toward Devil's Thumb
summit rocks
summit rocks
View northeast from Spirit Mountain
View northeast from Spirit Mountain
View southeast from Spirit Mountain
View southeast from Spirit Mountain
Last look at Spirit
Last look at Spirit
Nov 14th: Mojave National Preserve We drove to the NY Mountains and had an afternoon of good light and weather to do an afternoon walk to a isolated summit. A prolific Mojave traveller named Andy Smatko had left a summit register in 1980 and named the mountain Lecyr Mtn 5549'. We were the second party since to sign in! I love the desert isolation!
Jerry on an afternoon up Lecyr Mtn.
Jerry on an afternoon up Lecyr Mtn.
rock garden
rock garden
Nov 15th: Mojave National Preserve Our camp was located in Keystone Canyon, one of two main canyons that access NY Mountain Highpoint 7533'. (other being Caruthers). Keystone was nice because it allowed us to finish the day in a scenic and good travel ridgeline loop.
Keystone Canyon
Keystone Canyon
moon high morning
moon high morning
Approach is a old mining track to an interesting mine site. Then up to a saddle and onto the east ridge of New York One Benchmark 7461'(next to the higher New York Two 7533'). The summit of New York Two (known as New York Mountains Highpoint) was a jumble of vertical blocks, bulges, and spires of granite. Very confusing to locate a route. Doubt we did the standard but collective searching got us to the common and only practical summit block pitch. Impeccably solid, we all still found it to be Class 4 moves with exposure for 30 feet.
Mojave Wilderness, CA
Mojave Wilderness, CA
From New York One
From New York One
Highpoint looks interesting
Highpoint looks interesting
I felt this was Class 4.
I felt this was Class 4.
New York Mountains Highpoint
New York Mountains Highpoint
View to the Providence Mtns
View to the Providence Mtns
Final summit moves (descending)
Final summit moves (descending)
On the return we did a very aesthetic and fun ridge run (first granite, then limestone, surprisingly) going over Keystone Point 6503' and down its north ridge back into Keystone Canyon.
Making a ridgerun out of it
Making a ridgerun out of it
Descending NY One
Descending NY One
Caruthers Canyon
Caruthers Canyon
Thanks to Stav for beta on this...excellent!
Thanks to Stav for beta on this...excellent!
NY Mountains behind JTree scene
NY Mountains behind JTree scene
Another trip that I enjoyed thoroughly and added to the sensce of diversity of experience and environments in short radius across the Mojave Desert.

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Fletcher

Fletcher
PostSat Dec 07, 2019 1:46 pm 
Awesome! I love the Mojave. I did Spirit in the rain and snow in February of this year. Cool peak. I have long term aspirations of completing the DPS list some day, every one of them that I’ve done has been highly enjoyable.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message