Forum Index > Trip Reports > Death Valley Natl Pk. Marble-Cottonwood (side slot) lollipop backpack loop Nov 17-19,2019
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
John Morrow

John Morrow
PostSun Nov 24, 2019 1:07 pm 
Kimberly (Rainee Too), Jerry and I found a three day backpack with good water at Dead Horsre Canyon Spring and Upper Cottonwood Spring. Both had a flow for yards. I had explored these springs in a different loop a few years ago. We chose to modify the standard loop in order to add some challenge and uncertainty but mostly to avoid road hiking of lower Cottonwood Canyon. Thus, we went up Marble Canyon and over to the side canyon described in Michel Digonnet's book. Then we did a loop of the slot, Upper Cottonwood Canyon, and back down to Deadhorse Canyon spring. Day 3 we returned down Marble Canyon. Kimberly's Jeep Rincon got us to the wilderness boundary TH in Marble Canyon. We explored a couple of side canyons in Marble as well. Great trip! Day 1: Up Marble Canyon:
Side canyons to explore:
Day 2, climbing out of Dead Horse Canyon and dropping into the Cottonwood side slot:
The impasse requiring bypass:
Backing out to bypass and descending:
Descending the Digonnet bypass, loose!:
Attempt upcanyon to impasse:
(stopped)
Into and moving up Cottonwood to camp 2:
Day 3, back over to Marble:
Side trip to Marble Canyon's 4th narrows:
Back to the TH:

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
canadug

canadug
PostSun Nov 24, 2019 1:20 pm 
Love all your trip reports. MY daughter and I go down to explore in the Desert SW every spring.......Such an amazing place.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message