Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Nov 26, 2019 11:57 am 
I saw this brilliant idea in a Mount Si trip report:
Quote:
The third pic identifies a switchback that is worth noting, because it means you are just inside of a mile to the summit. Yay (for you)! But here is the problem. It can difficult for the overheating, out of breath hiker to remember such things. And given how helpful my “checkpoints” are to the large number of such hikers, I’d hate to think they might be printing them off and adding to our environmental issues. The solution, I believe, is my second suggestion: print them off using edible ink onto sheets of fruit roll-up. Then, as you reach each checkpoint you simply consume the respective fruit roll up. This will not only solve the problem of waste while providing the energy boost you likely desperately need, it might also serve to trigger a sort of Pavlovian response, subconsciously increasing your willingness to press on to each ensuing checkpoint. https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/trip-reports/trip_report.2019-08-11.6529745338
"Edible ink" could be melted chocolate! This could easily replace paper maps.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostTue Nov 26, 2019 12:32 pm 
Might be smarter to put maps on M&Ms, since they only melt in your mouth, not in your hand. Since WWI!

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostTue Nov 26, 2019 3:50 pm 
Riverside Laker wrote:
Might be smarter to put maps on M&Ms, since they only melt in your mouth, not in your hand. Since WWI!
lol.gif embarassedlaugh.gif up.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Nov 26, 2019 4:58 pm 
How do you tell a day hiker, backpacker, and thru hiker apart? Throw an M&M on the ground. A day hiker will walk right by, a backpacker will stop to pick it up and eat it, a thru hiker will start looking for more.

ejain

ejain
PostWed Nov 27, 2019 11:56 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
"Edible ink" could be melted chocolate! This could easily replace paper maps.
Chocolate can be 3D-printed, so you could create a map, or even a relief map...

mosey

mosey
PostFri Nov 29, 2019 7:17 am 
I had the hardest time telling if this guy was serious or not until he started talking about painted rocks. Then I lost it lol.gif
Quote:
At the summit I spied a colorfully painted rock. It had directions to go to Facebook and log its changing location (#1558 of Hey Where's My Rock Now group, not to be confused with the myriad other clever, entirely sui generis painted rock groups). Apparently, the accomplishment of conquering a primitive mountain like Granite is insufficient to satisfy some hikers. Don't get me wrong, it is of course insufficient for me as well, but I believe the answer is to go out and conquer another mountain (preferably on the same day). Not to go onto social media (which you know I disdain) to post about oneself. ... Here is the experiment: who will secure the rock first? Will it be a hiker who will continue this rock's ongoing involuntary displacement and carry out the directions of the person who decorated it (and presumably the 1,557 rocks before it)? Or will it be a hiker who finds such rock defacing a literal abomination of nature, who will secure it only to scrub the rock in acetone and other appropriate chemicals to remove the odious paint, and then return it to its natural habitat to live out the remainder of its life unmolested?

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSat Nov 30, 2019 2:09 pm 
Re the current fad of painting small rocks and leaving them in the wild for someone else to find, post about on social media and do...whatever...with it, I'm waiting for the day that someone makes a photo post on a site like Public Lands Hate You of a pile of this litter they've removed. Ski, I'm lookin' at you, kid (one of the few who admit it). hockeygrin.gif O Angry Hiker, where art thou?

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
neek

neek
PostSat Nov 30, 2019 5:33 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
Re the current fad of painting small rocks and leaving them in the wild for someone else to find, post about on social media and do...whatever...with it, I'm waiting for the day that someone makes a photo post on a site like Public Lands Hate You of a pile of this litter they've removed. Ski, I'm lookin' at you, kid (one of the few who admit it). hockeygrin.gif O Angry Hiker, where art thou?
I've never seen one but would happily contribute to said pile.

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostSat Dec 07, 2019 12:25 am 
I typically relocate painted rocks to clever areas, such as however far I can kick them.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.