Forum Index > Trail Talk > 24k garmin maps
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cody s

Cody s
PostThu Nov 28, 2019 4:41 pm 
Anyone ever used the garmin 24k maps ? I'm looking at getting the on that covers washington, Oregon, and California. I am hoping to load it on basecamp and then load sections on my 64st. They just cost a lot and I don't want to damage it by leaving it in the unit. I currently use northwest trails but it hasn't been updated for a long time.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostThu Nov 28, 2019 5:38 pm 
Cody s wrote:
Anyone ever used the garmin 24k maps ? I'm looking at getting the on that covers washington, Oregon, and California. I am hoping to load it on basecamp and then load sections on my 64st. They just cost a lot and I don't want to damage it by leaving it in the unit. I currently use northwest trails but it hasn't been updated for a long time.
I have, years ago, and I think you'll get better maps from gpsfiledepot.com, as I remember it. And (I *think*) you can customize what you want, and the cost is only for your time.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Nov 28, 2019 5:44 pm 
I bought the WA 24K microsd card for my 64s years ago. Worked well. It's still plugged in and sitting on the shelf with my 64s. I use Gaia on my Galaxy S8+ now.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Nov 28, 2019 8:51 pm 
Like Randy I bough WA and OR years ago. They were on a micro SD card and I was never able to put them on my computer to work with Basecamp or print them out. Soon after the UW made the DRGs available for download which I burnt onto CDs which worked with some Aussie 4x4 software. As I remember the garmen maps did not have a trail overlay so I used the WA from Switchbacks.com instead. Now I use Gaia also with trails and cal topo. Hardly ever use my Garmin.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Nov 28, 2019 10:44 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
I use Gaia on my Galaxy S8+ now.
Drastically better screen. Good battery life if used sparingly, can be charged while in use. You can buy a used replacement for about $200 on Craigslist so it's not the end of the world if something happens. You save weight and pack space this way. It's a pretty compelling option. I used to have a hand held GPS for hiking too.

ejain

ejain
PostSun Dec 01, 2019 12:29 am 
I have both Northwest Trails and this OSM Topo map on my Garmin. OSM is still missing some trails found in Northwest Trails or on old USGS maps, but it's improving, and it's what most apps (incl Gaia and CalTopo) base their own maps on.