Forum Index > Trip Reports > Three of my Favorite Things: Hiko Springs Canyon, NV dayhike Nov 25, 2019
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
John Morrow

John Morrow
PostThu Nov 28, 2019 11:39 am 
Lake Mead National Recreation Area southern boundary. These are a few of my favorite things: summits, water polished canyon narrows, and rock art panels. I met David for at least one day as we decided on a loop hike along the rim of Hiko Springs Canyon at the south end of Lake Mead National Recreation Area to connect three peaks in the Courtney Purcell Guidebook: Hiko Point, Center Benchmark, and Conical Peak.
Cholla forest below Center Benchmark.
Cholla forest below Center Benchmark.
Conical Peak in distance
Conical Peak in distance
Back at Hiko Point with Spirit Mtn behind
Back at Hiko Point with Spirit Mtn behind
Dead Mountains Wilderness in distance
Dead Mountains Wilderness in distance
After the summits we dropped into an unnamed canyon where we exited to the north to connect to Hiko Springs lower canyon narrows. Delighted, we learned that Class 3 scrambling would get us through the entire canyon through a beautiful stretch of water polished granite narrows. Rock art at both ends completed the day. Unnamed canyon to south of Hiko:
Unnamed canyon descent (south of Hiko)
Unnamed canyon descent (south of Hiko)
unnamed canyon floor
unnamed canyon floor
Dropping in and finishing Hiko Canyon:
Over to Hiko Canyon
Over to Hiko Canyon
Can we get through that?
Can we get through that?
Hiko Springs Canyon narrows
Hiko Springs Canyon narrows end
Hiko Springs Canyon narrows end
petroglyphs
petroglyphs
pools in narrows
pools in narrows
Hiko Springs Canyon
Hiko Springs Canyon
Hiko Springs Canyon
Hiko Springs Canyon
petroglyphs
petroglyphs
petroglyphs
petroglyphs
petroglyphs
petroglyphs
petroglyphs
petroglyphs

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostMon Dec 02, 2019 3:25 pm 
up.gif
John Morrow wrote:
we learned that Class 3 scrambling would get us through the entire canyon
Up one and hoping to get down another...got hung up and ran out of water one time doing that in the Cady Mountains and haven't tried it since! uhoh.gif

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
John Morrow

John Morrow
PostSat Dec 07, 2019 8:30 am 
Sculpin wrote:
up.gif
John Morrow wrote:
we learned that Class 3 scrambling would get us through the entire canyon
Up one and hoping to get down another...got hung up and ran out of water one time doing that in the Cady Mountains and haven't tried it since! uhoh.gif
The lump in the throat, "oh f__k" moment is the worst! Even when it goes but is consistently harder than expected is unnerving. Fortunately on this day David and I discussed leaving enough time for a long retreat and decided to enter the canyon at a location that looked above the tightest narrows on the map and it worked well. That's why he has no pack on in the narrows scrambling shots. This loop is worthy of more attention. Unlike the Cascades and Colorado Plateau, I say that and it still seems no one goes. I/we consistently have complete solitude on most Mojave hikes. Up until this trip I've never once shared a summit. 2 local women came up one peak (Hamblin in Lake Mead NRA) I was on during this trip and that was the first time in hundreds!

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
ree

ree
PostSun Dec 08, 2019 8:44 am 
Thanks John. We love Nevada. up.gif Which Courtney Purcell book?

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostMon Dec 09, 2019 6:01 am 
ree wrote:
Thanks John. We love Nevada. up.gif Which Courtney Purcell book?
"Rambles and Scrambles", ree. Got your msg. Giving it a thought... I've been doing so much down there in the past few years I am a bit fog brained. John