Forum Index > Trail Talk > Time for a permit system in areas of the Cascades?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Brian R

Brian R
PostTue Dec 03, 2019 6:34 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Public land is one of the best ideas America ever had. Available to all. I don't think being denied for permits to their birthright is going to encourage the next generation to care to preserve it. If you can't get a permit that means it's not for you, it's for someone else.
Post of the year! Well said.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Dec 03, 2019 11:14 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
Great idea. During flower season ....
Awesome! Here's a rock costume so you can blend in to a talus field:

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Dec 03, 2019 11:25 pm 
ree wrote:
Think of a long 10 mile hike in to a gorgeous alpine lake and finding SEVEN rafts floating on it. It's happened to us! So what do you think of a permit system? Yes/No/Maybe?
Let's use the Enchantments as an example because that's the most obvious and well-known example in the state. But it could be anywhere if we institute a permit system for everywhere. Think about wanting to see the place because your spirit feels most at home in there mountains. Think about entering the lottery for ten years in a row and never winning a permit. It's getting more competitive every year. Imagine not being able to show up and hope for an unclaimed day-of permit because of work responsibilities, and because you're a care giver for a family member, making your time off limited and precious. Imagine getting older all the while, getting closer to the day you won't be able to do the hike anyway. And all the while you are literally a part owner of this land you want to hike though and camp overnight at. I don't think this is fair.

Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostWed Dec 04, 2019 12:09 am 
It’s a no for me on permits. I haven’t been to the Enchantments for at least 25 yrs, and am not inclined to subject myself to the process of getting a permit , or camping illegally. But if was inclined to go somewhere requiring camouflage, i’d go as a snake. Yea. Sorry, no pictures.

When I grow up I wanna play.
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostWed Dec 04, 2019 12:50 am 
BigBrunyon wrote:
Maybe 4, the other being a lake with a four letter name that starts with j.
Ingalls is more than four letters, and no 'j'???

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Dec 04, 2019 9:36 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
Think about entering the lottery for ten years in a row and never winning a permit. It's getting more competitive every year.
Using a weighted lottery similar to what used for Grand Canyon river permits would be an improvement. That system assigns 1 point for each year it's been since you've won a permit lottery -- up to 5 points. So someone that has never gotten a permit has a 5x better chance of scoring a permit vs someone that went last year. The Enchantments are an interesting case -- the limited supply of overnight permits has also driven a growth in day through hikes that is generating much of the "trammeling" that is occurring in the area.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostWed Dec 04, 2019 11:33 am 
But can you imagine how many people would be camped up there on any given night if there were no permit system? It's a real catch-22. Of course, the root of the problem is population but that's not something we can really do anything about.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Dec 04, 2019 11:58 am 
Seems like a much more crucial question is how to spread understanding of and respect for low impact travel practices in the era of learning everything from Facebook, YouTube, and the tags that came with your outdoor products that weren't stolen from your doorstep.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Dec 04, 2019 12:20 pm 
Bedivere wrote:
But can you imagine how many people would be camped up there on any given night if there were no permit system?
Yes -- I think it would be very uneven -- I think there would be hundreds, if not a thousand folks trying to camp there during "Larch Weekends", but likely lower levels of overnight visitors the rest of the summer. Where all these folks would park their cars would end up being the limiting factor. If the USFS closed the Eight Mile road at Bridge Creek -- I think this would significantly cut the number of "through hike in a day" folks and substantially cut the numbers of "Instagram Hikers" headed to Colchuck Lake for that selfie shot with Dragontail in the background.

slabbyd

slabbyd
PostWed Dec 04, 2019 1:00 pm 
Couple people have mentioned road closures as the solution and I agree! Between a lack of timber harvesting, increasing extreme weather and declining FSR budgets you’d think it would be happening. But the FSR seems surprisingly adept at maintaining roads well enough. One can dream.....

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Dec 04, 2019 1:58 pm 
People (including respected nwhikers) howled while the Suiattle Road was closed. Closing roads isn't a good solution. The public should be able to access public land. Now that eBikes are becoming common and cheap, closing roads won't have the effect you hope for anyway.

slabbyd

slabbyd
PostWed Dec 04, 2019 4:20 pm 
By that argument maybe access isn’t good enough. I’d guess 90% of our humble co-citizens are unable to acquire a selfie at Colchuck Lake due to physical inability. A tram would bring equity and access to all citizens ( this argument was a primary one when the Squamish Tram was proposed to be directly on the Chief). We’re all fortunate (I guess) to have a series of FSR roads built deep into mountain valleys specifically to limit the extent of land that would be designated Wilderness in the 1960s. Middle Fork Nooksack, Canyon Creek, Suiattle? And many more. I don’t see why that should be considered baseline for continued access. I don’t buy the idea that closed roads wouldn’t result in a decrease in access. Even with e-bikes. I think people hate the idea of a road walk/ride. Places like say N Twin Sister would be slammed with people if it weren’t for the gate at 1200’.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Dec 04, 2019 4:38 pm 
It amazes me that so many hikers are against hiking, but the truth is they're only against other people hiking. Tram is a cool strawman by the way.

neek

neek
PostWed Dec 04, 2019 5:51 pm 
The issues being discussed here aren't black and white. Sometimes it's not cost effective to maintain roads (e.g. the Carbon road), and sometimes permits are the only way to facilitate humans' continued enjoyment of a small and unique place (e.g. Paria canyon). Eliminating all forest roads would be bad, and turning all trails into roads would be bad, so obviously there's a middle ground. But there's no silver bullet for the overuse problem. It'll have to be a package of solutions, each with winners and losers. I'd maybe support a limited expansion of existing permit systems if you could, say, fast-track the process by obtaining some sort of LNT certification (sort of like a TSA precheck for hiking). Or maybe you could earn volunteer credits through an org like WTA that increase your chances. Clearly no matter what your stance is you should be concerned about the funding issue and think about how your advocacy and votes might make a tiny difference. More trails (and ways to access them) means more opportunity to spread out, better maintained trails means less damage. Also, the overpopulation gripe to me is anti-human. There is no reason to think we can't reach a sustainable plateau; you can argue that some developed countries already have. In addition to shaming people for being born we shame them for being unhealthy and then say oh but you can't hike because it's too crowded, or you can't drive to the trailhead because it pollutes, etc. IMO, if everyone hiked, the world would be a happier place.

Brian R

Brian R
PostWed Dec 04, 2019 6:09 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
It amazes me that so many hikers are against hiking, but the truth is they're only against other people hiking. Tram is a cool strawman by the way.
Just when you start to piss me off, you start saying things that make sense! smile.gif