Forum Index > Trail Talk > Proposed mtn bike trails & use of lifts at Snoqualmie Pass
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Nov 18, 2019 8:52 pm 
Several local conservation & recreation organizations pulled together to produce a letter of support for a plan for mountain bike trails and the use of the ski lifts at snoqualmie pass. Short intro article and link to comment letter here.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Nov 18, 2019 10:37 pm 
up.gif

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Nov 19, 2019 1:21 am 
Sounds great -- a big playground for mtb bikers!

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostTue Nov 19, 2019 6:18 am 
So this would be the same owners that started the one at Stevens Pass? I doubt it was backed by the USFS more like spear headed by Ski lift operators IMO

Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Nov 19, 2019 8:32 am 
Sky Hiker wrote:
So this would be the same owners that started the one at Stevens Pass?
No, that was Mountain High that isn't around here any more. Vail Resorts now owns Stevens Pass (as well as Whistler). Boyne Resorts owns Snoqualmie.

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostTue Nov 19, 2019 9:04 am 
I see.. They were conducting employees orientations last weekend and this weekend at Stevens

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Nov 19, 2019 2:55 pm 
I think it's notable to note who the signatories are in the letter. In the not too distant past, some of these organizations would never agree to this; they’d fight it to the point of polarizing user groups. Not to say it went well behind closed doors (I have no idea if it did or didn’t). Care of the USFS’ Adaptive Management Area and other conservation laws/regs/policies are addressed.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Nov 19, 2019 3:33 pm 
Sounds good to me the Summit is hardly untrammeled wilderness up.gif up.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostTue Nov 19, 2019 6:29 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
I think it's notable to note who the signatories are in the letter.
Indeed. Evergreen has done a TON of good work, and it's being recognized by land owners these days.

~Mom jeans on wheels
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostWed Nov 20, 2019 6:02 am 
In a good or bad way?

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostWed Nov 20, 2019 9:50 am 
Sky Hiker wrote:
In a good or bad way?
I actually had a local developer approach me years ago and ask if I knew anything about the builders of Duthie, because he was interested in something similar on his property as a selling feature. It just happened that I'm friends with someone who did a lot of work at Duthie so I was able to get them connected straight away, although situations changed and it sorta petered off in a different direction. In the meantime there's been other local projects, and it seems the DNR has been fairly accommodating since Evergreen brings funding and manpower to the table. I can also say the few DNR/F&W enforcement people I've run into in the woods over the years have been REALLY positive about us tooting around on bikes... we don't bring garbage, we don't present a fire hazard typically, we don't tear up wetlands, etc.

~Mom jeans on wheels
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Nov 20, 2019 11:03 am 
Yes, and also that wilderness advocates have signed on, as well as WTA, advocates for hikers. In the past, these types of advocates would never have worked together for a user group outside of their express mission statement. Over the years, many of these organizations have learned the importance of working together - if not out of Kumbaya love, then out of you-scratch-my-back, I'll-scratch-yours, so long as it doesn't infringe on reasonable advocacy of their organization. Note none of this is near wilderness and doesn't threaten hiking trails, but they are helping the biking community with their goals, which is cool. I think everyone realizes that people who enjoy mountain biking also enjoy hiking and wilderness. The Harvey Manning Way was necessary in its time, but things are different now. However, playing well together is not a blanket advocacy policy; objections to motorized use is likely still at issue.

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostWed Nov 20, 2019 2:02 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
...objections to motorized use is likely still at issue.
In the Roslyn/Cle Elum/Teanaway stuff, everyone is so spread out that multi use is imminently practical and makes sense. Especially when honestly answering the question "who's going to buck this out in the spring?" The bike community has been really good about stepping up year after year which helps everyone, so hard to see a down side there. Motorized: it's much easier and cheaper for land managers to just ban all motorized users than have to try to police who's behaving themselves and who's tearing stuff up/leaving garbage/cutting trees/etc. I honestly feel bad for the responsible people in that crowd because it seems like there's no good answer.... the closest I've seen is if the area is moto only and has some pretty heavy duty technical features that can't be roosted around, then any moto person I run into on the trail is likely quite reasonable. This dovetails into my 'how drunk can you be and still get there' generalized theory of outdoor user a-hole-ness, lol.

~Mom jeans on wheels
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostWed Nov 20, 2019 8:32 pm 
Maybe this will take some pressure off Stevens Pass

Brian R

Brian R
PostWed Nov 20, 2019 11:17 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
I think everyone realizes that people who enjoy mountain biking also enjoy hiking and wilderness. The Harvey Manning Way was necessary in its time, but things are different now.
Very well said. Couldn't agree more. up.gif up.gif (Ira Spring was right all along.) smile.gif