Forum Index > Trip Reports > Square Lake, anyone go in 2019?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
timberghost

timberghost
PostTue Oct 26, 2021 7:21 am 
Know a guy that would go in there every year for a week. He used to over fish instead of taking what you could consume.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
pianodirt

pianodirt
PostTue Oct 26, 2021 9:13 am 
timberghost wrote:
Know a guy that would go in there every year for a week. He used to over fish instead of taking what you could consume.
Hmph...that's too bad. I wish he wouldn't do that. It's not really a great fishing lake to begin with. I've never caught more than a few, but I'm certainly no master fisherperson. There are high lakes that are overabundant in fish. Often you will see them with big heads and skinny bodies...too many fish and not enough food...reel one in and there's 3-5 more chasing the one on the hook. In those cases, I think it's a mercy to remove more fish than usual...until it gets back down to sustainable levels.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Oct 26, 2021 11:34 am 
Square is reproducing. Should be fine to take as many as you want.

Brian Curtis
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostTue Oct 26, 2021 2:31 pm 
Tom, would you say Square lake is reproducing exponentially? (Math joke.) I once peered down at Square Lake from the Thunder Mtn Lakes area. Looked very pretty. But actually going down there would require going aaaaaaaallll the way back up afterward. And I don't fish. So I was satisfied with the aerial view.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Oct 26, 2021 2:39 pm 
I went up to Thunder from Square and back down, not bad at all. Granted I was much younger at the time, everything seemed easier back then! Great area to roam. Also hopped over to the Swallows and out Mac Peak. Good memories. That year the dam was being repaired and the lake was crazy low, could circumnavigate it by foot. That would have been a difficult year for the fish.

pasayten
Class of 65...

pasayten
Class of 65...
PostTue Oct 26, 2021 4:08 pm 
Square Lake back in the day... 70's

Happy Trails... pasayten

flatsqwerl, hikerbiker
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Oct 28, 2021 8:51 am 
Tom wrote:
Square is reproducing. Should be fine to take as many as you want.
What Tom means is that there are reproducing trout in square. Reproducing fish have NOT been planted in Washington State alpine lakes in decades. Only sterile fish are planted these days. If Im wrong on some account Mr. Curtis can chime in and correct me. Ya, the good ole days.
Square lk cabin 640X 7-1991
Square lk cabin 640X 7-1991

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
timberghost

timberghost
PostFri Oct 29, 2021 1:17 pm 
Time for Brian to chime in. You are saying none of the fish planted these days can reproduce and are all sterilized?

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Oct 30, 2021 8:48 am 
timberghost wrote:
Time for Brian to chime in. You are saying none of the fish planted these days can reproduce and are all sterilized?
YEP! Been that way for decades.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostSat Oct 30, 2021 5:42 pm 
timberghost wrote:
I wish they were all sterilized, but most are fertile. The state is careful to only stock fertile fish in lakes were it is known they cannot reproduce. That, of course, renders them functional sterile which is probably what BPJ is thinking of. Some of the rainbow trout we stock are sterile (triploid). That program is slowly expanding. Stocking sterile fish has a lot of advantages so my guess is that the sterile program will continue to expand. There isn't a whole lot of choice right now. Rainbow trout are the only species we can reliably get that have been sterilized.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch

zimmertr
timberghost

timberghost
PostSun Oct 31, 2021 5:27 pm 
Brian wouldn't it also make the price of purchasing a sterile fish more expensive than non sterile. Are sterile fish typically larger and put on more weight then a sterile fish?

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostMon Nov 01, 2021 7:16 am 
timberghost wrote:
Brian wouldn't it also make the price of purchasing a sterile fish more expensive than non sterile. Are sterile fish typically larger and put on more weight then a sterile fish?
Sterile fish would definitely be more expensive to produce or purchase than fertile fish. While a fair number of high lakes are stocked every year the total number of fish stocked is extremely low compared to how many fish are stocked statewide so it wouldn't end up coming to a lot of money. Theoretically sterile fish should grow better and larger than fertile fish because once they reach sexual maturity (typically at age 3) they do not have to put any energy into producing gametes, trying to spawn, or resorbing their gametes if they can't spawn. But in reality we don't see that much difference, especially were food resources are limited. They do seem to be providing an improved fishery over the state's normal rainbow stock in the most productive lakes.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch

zimmertr