Forum Index > Trail Talk > Hiking recommendations in southern Baja
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
cmurph

cmurph
PostTue Dec 03, 2019 4:58 pm 
Wow, it has been a long time since I logged into NWHikers...life with little ones 😉 We are heading to Todos Santos in a couple of days for a week+. We'd love some recommendations for hikes in the general area since, well, life with little ones has not exactly allowed me the time to do any research on my own! We'll have a 2.5 year old in a backpack carrier and a 7 month old in a front carrier so while we don't mind elevation gain we'll probably need to keep it to less than 7 miles round trip because there is only so much whining we can handle 😄 Also, best websites for trail info? And any other must see/do travel advice would also be welcome! Thanks community 🙂

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
geyer

geyer
PostTue Dec 03, 2019 6:47 pm 
I only know options for the east side: Playa Balandra is definitely worth it Canon San dionisimo felt very much like wilderness and had some nice natural pools Canon de la Zorra had an awesome waterfall very close to a visitor hut Cabo Pulmo is a fantastic drive, especially if you have some snorkel gear The canyon roads are pretty bumpy, but I did them in sedan. The rental companies down there are extremely cheap and try to pull a lot of fast ones on the tourists, so keep that in mind if you do go on dirt roads or on the beach.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Dec 03, 2019 6:47 pm 
I was in Baja last winter/spring -- only as far south as Loreto. Are you flying to Cabo and then renting a car? Otherwise a week in Baja driving from San Diego to Todos Santos and back is barely enough for just the driving. We did some hiking around Mulegé -- we hired a guide. The destination involved crossing private land and the guide had an agreement with the land owner. "public lands" which we have been blessed with in the USA is far less common in Baja. The Mexicans I encountered to be very friendly and helpful. My Spanish is "poquito", but we managed to find lots of good places to stay, shop, eat and travel by talking to the locals.

cmurph

cmurph
PostTue Dec 03, 2019 9:45 pm 
Thank you, geyer! Do you know of a decent site to find trail descriptions, stats, etc? My quick search didn't give me anything great. Why did I wait until the last minute?!, LOL

cmurph

cmurph
PostTue Dec 03, 2019 9:50 pm 
RandyHiker, thanks! I don't think we'll go that far north....or at least I kinda hope my husband doesn't want to do long days of driving with two kids! Yes, we are flying into Cabo and renting a car and are staying in a vacation rental outside of Todos Santos.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Dec 03, 2019 10:07 pm 
cmurph wrote:
Yes, we are flying into Cabo and renting a car
FWIW: Several years ago (2012) I drove from the Cabo airport to La Paz and back in a rental car. It was fine, but it's not like driving on a two lane hwy in Washington -- watch out for cows, chuck holes and other traffic.

contour5

contour5
PostTue Dec 03, 2019 10:27 pm 
Stay on the coast. Way more comodo, mas tranquilo!. Just roll south out of Punta Lobos and go as far as you can. Do some bodysurfing. Watch out for riptides! I haven't done it, but that's the way I'd go. There are a few access roads on google sat view... La Paz used to be a favorite place of mine...

canadug

canadug
PostWed Dec 04, 2019 11:05 pm 
Have done many driving trips from San Diego down to Cabo. A few words of warning: -DO NOT drive at night....Cows wander the roads at night and there are many drunk drivers as there is basically no drinking and driving laws down there -Take pics of your rental car as they try and rip you off just as they do in America -Hire a guide as most land is private -Before every town there is massive speed bumps so beware -Get out of your car at the gas station and make sure the attendant actually resets the gas pump before filling Besides those few basic things it is awesome down there. Have fun

cmurph

cmurph
PostThu Dec 05, 2019 2:14 am 
Thanks for the advice! Great tips 🙂