Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Cosmic Crisp Apples
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Dec 10, 2019 8:23 pm 
Not so true now, but 20 years ago, you could find a better quality apple, from here, in out of state grocery stores. It was said that the in state stores bought the culls from the warehouses.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Dec 11, 2019 2:11 pm 
Okay I bought one and just cut it up and ate it. Pretty good. Not worth $3 bucks a pound though. Braeburns and Pink Lady and Envy are equally as good and not as spendy. Never was all that impressed with Honeycrisps. Like Fuji, they're not worth a damn for pie.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
neek

neek
PostWed Dec 11, 2019 2:59 pm 
Ah that's cuz you're down in Tacoma, still $2 up here at the QFC! Agree about Honeycrisp, they always seemed full of air to me, like crispy sweet Styrofoam. Pink Ladies are nice and dense, with some tartness. Interesting conversation. Must be raining out.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Dec 11, 2019 3:57 pm 
no... it's because I went to Safeway out here in the north end... it's almost like shopping at Metropolitan Market.... (we don't have any QFC markets around here) problem I have with Honeycrisp and Fuji for pie is that they're too juicy for pie and the filling doesn't set up without a ton of cornstarch. believe it or not, my favorite for pie is the Golden Delicious. I get the best feedback on that one. making a raspberry pie right now. last one turned out pretty good. wink.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Dec 11, 2019 4:47 pm 
Personally love Safeway due to the grocery rewards. Racked up quite a few rewards over BF thanks to the 10x gift card promo. Dined on Alaskan king crab legs most of last week. Decided to pick up some chowder to go with it the other night. Won't be paying for groceries until February 2021.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostWed Dec 11, 2019 5:04 pm 
Lots of grocery stores these days! One time I went to Fred Meyer, QFC, PCC, Trader Joe's, Safeway, and New Seasons all in the same day!

neek

neek
PostWed Dec 11, 2019 5:05 pm 
Ski wrote:
it's because I went to Safeway out here in the north end
Right on, that was my store for 4 years. The Proctor one anyway. Safeway and Kroger are pretty crappy here in Seattle, maybe due to competition from the yuppie stores. What I really miss, however, is Tacoma Boys. "You can't beat our meats!" Tom, way to work the reward card system. Normally 'tis the other way.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Dec 11, 2019 5:44 pm 
Ski wrote:
my favorite for pie is the Golden Delicious. I get the best feedback on that one.
I was told that 25 years ago by a career produce man, he could never understand why nearly everyone baked pies using Granny Smith apples.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Dec 11, 2019 6:14 pm 
Goldens for pies and applesauce. That's what my mom said. I think I am getting low on applesauce so might have to make a run to Chelan soon. Saw Cosmic Crisps at a fruit stand but didn't feel like stopping. What I like about the Cosmics is that you don't have to eat the whole apple at once. Slices keep.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Dec 11, 2019 6:34 pm 
I don't believe I've ever been inside the Safeway at 27th & Proctor. I shop at the one at Westgate at 30th & Pearl. Actually, as high as the prices are there, it's not as bad as Metropolitan Market or Whole Foods, and Fred Meyer is too far to drive to every day. Certainly there are other places, but way out here in the north end the choices are few. As to the Golden Delicious vs. Granny Smith: The Granny Smith has been hyped as THE pie apple because they remain crunchy even after spending almost an hour in a 400° F oven. A close personal friend of mine chooses to use the Granny Smith for her pies, and I learned a few decades ago that there is nothing to be gained by arguing with her. I base my choices of ingredients on the feedback I get from people who are eating my pies at functions like the nwhikers calendar social and Nutcracker. YMMV. first image is from a couple weeks ago, second image is the one that just came out of the oven:
Happy Thanksgiving Pies 2019 02
Happy Thanksgiving Pies 2019 02

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostFri Dec 13, 2019 12:22 am 
I tend to prefer the berry pie varieties. Always have. Big fan of apples served as a crisp but sometimes with pies you get those big pieces of apples that slide out from between the crusts when you're eating. Then you're forced to take bites of just apple!! The crust is the best part so you don't want just apple. That's like eating lucky charms with just the wheat pieces!!! Cmon now!! Always really like those dry bites of JUST crust at the end!!!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Dec 13, 2019 7:20 am 
I grew up eating my mom's pies which did not have flaky crusts. I like a good tough crust that you need a chainsaw to cut through. Tough crust soaks up all the juice and makes the pie even better. We often had huckleberry pie on Thanksgiving. I cheat and buy ready made crusts. That way I don't have to vacuum the counter tops or at least as much. A big mess was made making pies in a small travel trailer using a can of beer for a rolling pin. Flour seemed to get everywhere and there was no power to run a vacuum cleaner.

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostSat Dec 14, 2019 9:32 am 
We got 7- 25 lbs boxes of mixed apples from preys fruit barn just before the closed for the season for 15$! All in great condition.. 1 was a box cosmics with blemishes. I thought they where pretty good. I prefer my eating apples a little more on the sour side though. Pie was good, but the apple did stay firm. They do really well in appleschwackel. Cube 1 lbs potato, and 2 large apples. Slice one medium onion. Par boil potatoes. Heat skillet, add butter, onions, apple, and potatoes. And one cup sauer kraut, and Hungarian paprika. Top with sour cream. Got another 5 boxes from another stand, plus 75 lbs we got from trimming an elderly neighbor's tree. Most of it went into about 12 gallons of cider. Currently fermenting. The rest got sauced and jarred. Them pies look great ski! And thanks again for the eye opener of Romanian cuisine. Love me some sour soups now, and I have a bottle of home grown home made tuica on the bar.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Dec 14, 2019 9:42 am 
no Cosmic Crisps were harmed in the making of these pies
DTN Nutcracker apple pies 121319
DTN Nutcracker apple pies 121319
DTN Nutcracker blueberry & pumpkin pies 121319
DTN Nutcracker blueberry & pumpkin pies 121319
pear apple pie with walnut oatmeal brown sugar crust 121319
pear apple pie with walnut oatmeal brown sugar crust 121319

Slim
This space for rent

Slim
This space for rent
PostSun Dec 15, 2019 12:45 pm 
Or you can grow your own. Only if you're a Wa State resident though. https://www.cloudmountainfarmcenter.org/nursery/cosmic-crisp-apple-tree/

"Lean mean money-making-machines serving fiends"