Forum Index > Gear Talk > LifeStraw discounts
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostSun Dec 08, 2019 4:42 pm 
https://www.lifestraw.com/ 25% off everything 30% off over $50 free ship over $35. I bought 2 straw+bottle to stash in the car Also got the family unit Hope we never need them

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Dec 08, 2019 6:43 pm 
Double check whether freezing will destroy the filter if you're going to keep it in the car. wink.gif

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostSun Dec 08, 2019 11:08 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Double check whether freezing will destroy the filter if you're going to keep it in the car. wink.gif
These and other hollow fiber type filters can be frozen if they are moisture free (Unused or dried very thoroughly). It’s the property that water expands when frozen that destroys the hollow fibers. If your hiking where it could freeze overnight you need to protect your filter. For winter camping, chemical treatment is a better option.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostMon Dec 09, 2019 6:21 am 
Thanks for the freezing tip. The 2 units that will live in our car are strictly for emergency use. And it will sometimes freeze in our unheated detached garage. So if we ever have to use these then we need to store them in the house in the winter until it warms up enough in the spring that we venture into the hills again.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostMon Dec 09, 2019 10:04 am 
After a trip I back flush them thoroughly, and let dry upright inside the house for several days. I than use compressed air to gently blow them completely dry. I uses the lower pressure air from an auto-tire inflator without forming a seal. An air mattress inflator would also work very well. The regular type air compressor has too much pressure. I would caution against using any compressed air cans (electronic cleaner), most have some bitterant that might make for some funky tasting water for a while.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau