Forum Index > Gear Talk > One of my foot is shorter. Small discomfort while hiking.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
smile2088

smile2088
PostWed May 20, 2020 4:31 am 
Hello. Everyone. I am very new to this forum. Maybe you could help me with my problem. My left foot is 27.4 cm and right 27.8. I dont feel this difference in every day life. Recently i have bought new hiking shoes. Before I was hiking all season long with my hiking high boots Salewa MID MTN and that difference was noticable but not terrible ( maybe because they are harder ). Now i have light hiking shoes Dynafit Speed MTN to use in spring and summer and they ARE GREAT. Comfort and grip is excellent 10/10 but the difference in lenght of my feets is a bit annyoing right now. I realy cannot focus while hiking , especially when hiking up the hill and while stepping on rocks ( I'm afraid that I'll slip while using left foot because I don't feel rock very well). I cannot really buy smaller shoes because fit in the right foot is perfect. Size of the shoe is 44.5 with 29 cm MP and 44 has MP 28 so it will be too small. Maybe any of you have met with the same problem and know some solution smile.gif Have a nice day everyone

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed May 20, 2020 7:05 am 
You can always buy two pairs of shoes in different sizes and use one shoe from each pair.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed May 20, 2020 8:16 am 
Randy has good advice, as usual. If you're in Seattle, I can recommend a great podiatrist. Half a shoe size isn't huge and you might be able to deal with the stability issue with shims or insoles, which would obviously be cheaper in the long run. You can do that without a podiatrist too, but you'll get good advice if you go that route.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed May 20, 2020 9:42 am 
Spendy, but get with a custom boot company; check out Limmer. Also get with Chick's on Mercer Island Dave Page, Cobbler, too. If you're not in Seattle, check local shoe/boot cobblers. Sometimes these local stores can help out and are less expensive than orthotics. The guy I use, Shane's, located in Shoreline, did a great job for me. (but he's retiring soon; not sure about the fate of the store).

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
smile2088

smile2088
PostWed May 20, 2020 10:14 am 
The size chart of this model is weird and 44 EU is too small for my left foot. I would really like to stay with this model because shoes are great

Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostWed May 20, 2020 12:10 pm 
I have been fitting footwear for thirteen- and one-half years and all I can do is give you some advice based on my experience working with customers. One has to fit the length of the longer foot and still hold the shorter foot, that being said it not so much the length of the foot that I look at on the brannock device when I measure but the volume seated and standing and the changes in the arches. The difference in your feet length is not significant, I see that all the time, the trickier issue can be fitting a volume difference between the feet, but certainly not impossible. I have solved a lot of issues with lacing and others with orthotic based inserts, but sometimes I need to go to plan B and recommend different footwear that fits the same bill.

SlingShot
Slingshot

SlingShot
Slingshot
PostWed May 20, 2020 2:32 pm 
Having one foot bigger than the other is very common, Some are 2-3 inches bigger than the other. Your 1/4" variation is minimal and you didn't not mention any prior issues before wearing the Dynafit shoes, Correct? What makes the Dynafit great? There is a lot of great footwear out there, doesn't mean they are all great for you (your feet). Your Salewa MT have a 13mm drop from back to front. I can not find drop info for the Dynafit SM. This can take some time to adjust to if the Dynafit has less drop. Any issue with any other of your shoes or just the Dynafit's? What type of footwear do you wear daily? I wore Salomon for many years. Considered great shoes, and they are. The newer models seemed to be a bit narrower than the past models and my feet were not happy. I tried a pair of brooks cascadia's and I found myself tripping a lot, dangerously. I recently switched to Altra lone peak zero drop shoes based on initial comfort. It took me 2-3 months to adjust from a similar drop of 12mm. My feet, legs and overall hiking enjoyment is the best its ever been, Wish my lungs could keep up. Unless you have a ongoing foot issue or medical needs, you should be able to find proper footwear with out having to by 2 pair or doctoring one up to fit properly. You may need to try many different shoes/boots to find your perfect fit.

Take only photo's. Leave only foot prints. Waste only time. John Muir http://www.flickr.com/photos/dogntallgrass/ https://www.facebook.com/marc.mallang
smile2088

smile2088
PostThu May 21, 2020 1:36 am 
When I was buying short hiking shoes I tried a lot of models lasportiva Scarpa salewa Salomon etc. Dynafit seems to have the best fit and comfort for my right foot. It's is not that big problem more like a small inconvenience. I still walked 26 km with dynafit last week without any problem. Its just that feeling in my left foot, sometimes bother me to focus

smile2088

smile2088
PostThu May 21, 2020 2:49 am 
I went to an orthopedic shop and bought insoles. They seems to reduce that inconvenience a little bit. http://www.kaps.com.pl/en,-relax,105.html

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSun May 24, 2020 6:51 pm 
Oh do I have a deal for you, and I may even adjust the price. Check out this pair of Asolo's . Asolo 520 GTX left size 10, right size 10.5. Will send more info and pics if you are interested.