Forum Index > Trip Reports > B-day Loop in the Lagunas (RTR-Chico Ravine), 09.04.19
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostWed Dec 11, 2019 6:41 pm 
I've caught up to only being 3 mos. behind on my TRs. Woo hoo!! lol.gif OK, so for my b-day I took the day off & went hiking (of course!) before having a dinner celebration w/friends in the evening. souse.gif candles.gif gift.gif blowout.gif Like last yr., I concocted a loop in the Laguna Mtns. but this time decided to expand upon a trail I'd hiked a few mos. earlier. I parked @ the Redtail Roost TH & started up the RTR Loop Spur trail.
The trail gently climbs up onto a ridge through the trees, w/peek-a-boo views to Wooded Hill & the Giant Golfball. dizzy.gif
The big white ball
The big white ball
After a little while the trail drops off the ridge & meets Escondido Ravine Rd., where I turned left. A short distance later it meets up w/the Agua Dulce Rd., & in this area there are some of the biggest trees I've seen yet in the Lagunas. eek.gif
Big trees
Big trees
Forest pano
Forest pano
Forest pano
Forest pano
I turned right/north, & entered the meadow area where I would make a left turn onto the Big Laguna Trail. up.gif
Meadow pano
Meadow pano
Froggy enjoying the meadow view
Froggy enjoying the meadow view
Once I hit the junction w/the Chico Ravine Trail, I turned left/south to begin my loop back around. smile.gif
My next junction was w/the Old County Rd., where I turned left/east for a bit, pausing for views to the north. cool.gif
I made my way up to Pk. 5,961', which had what appeared to be a summit register but it turned out to be empty. confused.gif
Aptly named Wooded Hill across the way
Aptly named Wooded Hill across the way
Empty boxes
Empty boxes
Dog tags
Dog tags
BC atop Pk. 5,961'
BC atop Pk. 5,961'
Froggy wondering why no register inside
Froggy wondering why no register inside
I dropped off the summit, picked up the rd., & found a nice rock for a snack since I realized I was well past halfway thru the hike & hadn't stopped for a real break yet. redface.gif
Blue hole
Blue hole
Morteros
Morteros
Froggy wondering if a bear will come up that rd.
Froggy wondering if a bear will come up that rd.
I found some morteros nearby:
Morteros
Morteros
I made my way down to the Agua Dulce pumphouse next.
Agua Dulce Creek
Agua Dulce Creek
I crossed the edge of a little meadow, then headed for Pk. 6,010' but missed the turnoff cuz it was super obscure & I was distracted by a guy asking where the pumphouse was. doh.gif When I realized I'd overshot it, I headed xc to meet up w/the trail to the summit. The path gets wicked steep before topping out @ a water tower & gravel rd. Around this time a t-storm was moving in so I didn't waste much time. paranoid.gif From this point it was just an easy walk back down to the parking lot.
Meadow
Meadow
Pk. 6,010'
Pk. 6,010'
Looking back up the rd.
Looking back up the rd.
Storm clouds
Storm clouds
Rain to the south
Rain to the south
Water tower
Water tower
Stats
Stats
The drive back home was pretty wild. paranoid.gif I experienced sideways rain, lightening, thunder, & smoke. I'm guessing that one of the lightening strikes that seemed awfully close wound up setting some chaparral on fire. eek.gif flammable.gif
Smoke & rain
Smoke & rain
After stopping by home to freshen up, I met peeps @ the restaurant for a well-deserved marg (or 2). wink.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
whitebark

whitebark
PostFri Dec 13, 2019 5:15 pm 
I'm glad to see that some of the forest in the Lagunas has survived all of the forest fires.

ups n downs

ups n downs
PostSat Dec 14, 2019 11:24 am 
Nice pictures and loop. I was a Laguna Mountain Volunteer back in the early 90's. This was always a great getaway.

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostSun Dec 15, 2019 11:08 pm 
Yes, the Lagunas are always a nice, fairly close-in getaway. hockeygrin.gif up.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.