Forum Index > Gear Talk > Clothing link to Cancer?!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Brucester

Brucester
PostSun Dec 15, 2019 8:40 am 
This maybe old news but I seldom see anything on it. At work, my job asbestos and lead abatement, our required personal protective clothing 'white suits and they have "possible" "cancer causing" labels on the package they come in. We had this discussion at work and a female coworker said lots of clothing, especially shoes have these labels on them. "In the state of California..." A few weeks ago I watched DR Brian Clement of Hippocrates Health Institute on YouTube. Quite shocking to be honest. It made me rethink my outdoor clothing fabric selection! In the fight for "a cure", maybe start with banning ALL cancer causing fabrics?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostSun Dec 15, 2019 8:49 am 
If you want to avoid cancer, do (in this order): 1. Choose your parents carefully 2. Get plenty of sleep 3. Eat well 4. Exercise Prop 65 is a bit nuts.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Dec 15, 2019 8:54 am 
The cal law requires the label on anything that is linked to cancer in animals regardless of dose. IMO it is so broad as to be useless as it applies to most everything.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Dec 15, 2019 8:59 am 
The list of substances that Prop 65 warns about also includes: Aspirin, Bracken ferns, Salted fish, soot, estrogen, testosterone and wood dust. We are all going to die. https://oehha.ca.gov/media/downloads/proposition-65//p65list091319.pdf

Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostSun Dec 15, 2019 10:09 am 
neek wrote:
If you want to avoid cancer, do (in this order):
5. Stay out of California

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSun Dec 15, 2019 11:32 am 
Seventy2002 wrote:
neek wrote:
If you want to avoid cancer, do (in this order):
5. Stay out of California
lol.gif That's how I see it! But I'd rate this as reason #1. Lots of really bad stuff in California, apparently.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Dec 15, 2019 12:33 pm 
washing instructions
washing instructions

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostSun Dec 15, 2019 3:02 pm 
That CA Prop 65 is quite possibly the most ridiculous law/rule/reg ever passed. You can almost consider it a list of safe products.
I wouldn't waste a minute of worry on clothes.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Dec 15, 2019 9:13 pm 
“Dr” Brian Clement is a lying crackpot. Read up on him, then decide if you can trust anything he says.

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostSun Dec 15, 2019 11:35 pm 
Studies have shown if you drink water for 110 years, you have a 99.999% chance of dying.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Dec 16, 2019 4:48 pm 
neek wrote:
If you want to avoid cancer, do (in this order): 1. Choose your parents carefully 2. Get plenty of sleep 3. Eat well 4. Exercise Prop 65 is a bit nuts.
5. Die of something else first. Nobody died of cancer when we were hunting and gathering, and 30 was a rope old age. Now, we have lots of time for the DNA to unravel. When I was very young, people still smoked on airplanes. We've come a long way. "Sitting is the new smoking."

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Dec 16, 2019 8:43 pm 
World's oldest couple celebrates 80 years of marriage. Clearly, good genes are #1. Anything "carcinogenic" in close personal proximity isn't an immediate threat unless it can be ingested/inhaled/absorbed thru the skin. What breaks down in the waste stream, though, is the real concern, IMO. I was shocked to discover that King County (and many other large municipalities across the country) reprocess sewage sludge for use as compost/fertilizer. Here, they use it on everything from clearcut forest land to wheat fields in eastern WA. It's even in certain mulches at the local stores for home use if you know what to look for on the label. gag.gif Here's a Sierra Club article on the subject. Also this. Sorry for the digression, not intending to turn this into another hot guns.gif topic.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Dec 17, 2019 12:12 am 
^ The reprocessed sewage sludge is packaged and sold as "TaGrow" down here (a portmanteau of "Tacoma" and "Grow"), and is available either directly from Tacoma Public Utilities Solid Waste Division, OR it can be purchased by the bag at local retailers. Demand for the product is such that the ACE Hardware store at 30th & Pearl ran out several times last summer. I'm sorry that I was unable to read the Sierra Club article you cited, but I do not speak acronymese.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostTue Dec 17, 2019 1:31 am 
^Understood, Ski. Agreed acronymese w/o translation is annoying. This will assist: https://www.epa.gov/pfas/basic-information-pfas

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Dec 17, 2019 2:28 am 
groovy.
epa.gov wrote:
Although PFOA and PFOS are no longer manufactured in the United States, they are still produced internationally and can be imported into the United States in consumer goods such as carpet, leather and apparel, textiles, paper and packaging, coatings, rubber and plastics.
So.... in their infinite wisdom, the US government was able to get the chemical manufacturers to stop producing this stuff in country, but gave the green light to companies importing products using the same chemicals. We currently process almost no leather in this country - almost all of that is done offshore - so we get the chemicals here whether we want them or not. (Check point of origin on that next pair of heavy leather welding gloves at Pacific Welding Supply.) As to those chemicals (or heavy metals) that are in the processed sewage sludge, good luck trying to change the mind-set of those hauling the stuff home by the wagon load (or SUV load, as the case may be) so that they have bigger and better geraniums. The marketing strategy of the suppliers (like Tacoma Public Utilities) has these people actually believing they are "helping the environment" by re-using the processed sewage sludge. There has never been, in the history of the world, any shortage of stupidity.