Forum Index > Trail Talk > Fatbikes vs Snowshoes?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Dec 16, 2019 8:10 pm 
Pahoehoe wrote:
I'm hoping to take my e-snowmobile into the non motorized snow areas and cross country trails. Its quiet. No exhaust. Shouldnt be an issue.
Expect to be lanced by ski pole. Antagonism between snowmobile riders and cross country skiers has calmed down in recent years. Largely due to efforts by snowmobile rider groups to educate snowmobile riders to respect and stay off cross county ski zones and efforts to organize and maintain groomed snowmobile trails. This happened after years of effort by cross country ski advocates that resulted in restrictions on areas where snowmobiles can be ridden. Snowmobile riders organized to ensure that they wouldn't lose more and more areas to ride. Noise and stink are only two issues that generate conflict. Speed difference is another issue, as well as destruction of groomed set ski tracks. Modern snowmobiles are amazingly capable, speeds over 100 mph are not uncommon. Lost Lake a little west of Lake Keechelus is used for "drag racing". Separate areas improves the experience for each set of users.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Dec 16, 2019 10:04 pm 
People driving snowmobiles I've encountered while skiing have been friendly to me. There are "voluntary non-motorized" areas that are de facto ski only trails. The Amabilis trail has a sign a few switchbacks up telling you you're leaving the non motor area and coming into a place people are asked not to snomo. I've never seen or heard of one there. I did see a guy hanged last year for walking on the skate lane in boots, though. Left a bunch of post holes. Don't mess with skiers in lycra.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostMon Dec 16, 2019 11:19 pm 
Thing is the 'biles are ultimately the strong-arm contender in a full blown showdown situation. Once they establish themselves as a physical threat in the minds of e-bikes and skiers they own the road

Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostMon Dec 16, 2019 11:26 pm 
Down hill skiers go super fast downhill, so speed isnt an issue. Like I said, I ordered an e-snowmobile. I'm super stoked. It shouldnt bother people because its electric. I'll stick to one side of the trail! We can all share! And its quiet and stink free, so the motor is irrelevant!

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostMon Dec 16, 2019 11:36 pm 
How fast are the e-'biles gettin' up to these days? Fairly affordable deals?

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Dec 16, 2019 11:51 pm 
$15,000 Canadian price, 0-60 3 sec acceleration, 62mi range, 20 min to 2 hr recharge. Under 500lbs. All claimed by maker. Of course this is the first one later will get better.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostTue Dec 17, 2019 1:46 am 
Shouldnt matter if we shuttle skiers up, right? I mean, keep your earned turn egos out of it, public lands, I'm entitled to be there if I'm not loud and dont stink!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Dec 17, 2019 8:08 am 
I assume I could ride on the shared trail just fine.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostTue Dec 17, 2019 8:16 am 
Not everywhere. Some places they dont want my electric snowmobile even though its quiet and it doesnt stink. Sure, it can go fast but that doesn't mean I will go fast. I'm entitled to be on public land. I am quiet and I dont stink!

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostTue Dec 17, 2019 8:30 am 
I think nonmotorized means nonmotorized, but regardless, don't you DARE go on a groomed trail.

neek

neek
PostTue Dec 17, 2019 8:45 am 
If you're into groomed trails, fat bikes could be a good way to mix it up a little--but of course your options are very limited. Personally I like being off the beaten path and am too chicken to take up alpine skiing, so snowshoes it is. Sometimes less is more.

Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostTue Dec 17, 2019 9:17 am 
Foist wrote:
I think nonmotorized means nonmotorized, but regardless, don't you DARE go on a groomed trail.
That's what I thought until I was told ebikes arent motorized... It's about impact. My emobile is super low impact. Lower than an ebike, I'm pretty sure. Ebikes set the precedent, so thanks ebikes!

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostTue Dec 17, 2019 10:20 am 
OK fine, I don't care much about non-groomed, nonmotorized areas. But I'm sure they eff up the grooming. Please never take it on a groomed trail, we don't have many of them.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Dec 17, 2019 11:09 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
People driving snowmobiles I've encountered while skiing have been friendly to me
This has been my experience in the last two decades. In earlier years, it has been less pleasant with multiple experiences of being buzzed at high speed and snowmobile incursions into areas like Mt Amabalis. I have had a snowmobile rider pass me on the Lost Lake road near the Keechelus dam, cut in front of me and gun their motor spraying me in the face with their rooster tail. OTH a neighbor of mine has had cross country skiers attempt to stab him with their ski poles as he passed while riding on logging roads on Keechelus Ridge. This unpleasantness all occurred back in the days when skiing across Keechelus dam was a popular tour. ( pre-2001) Thankfully things have calmed down since those days.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostTue Dec 17, 2019 11:17 am 
I encountered snowmobiles on the groomed trail near the top of Amabilis just last winter. Not sure I have ever had a stronger urge to murder. But I didn't, and didn't even stab them with my pole (however tempting). I just screamed at them (as did others who were up there). They just ignored me and roared by me.