Forum Index > Trail Talk > Break out your snowshoes and lifejackets!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
gb

gb
PostFri Dec 20, 2019 8:25 am 
ale_capone wrote:
Watched the time lapse of Steven's snow stake from last night. It went from 7 or 8 inches, then rain melted it to 5. Then it quickly went up to 14 inches in a few hours. So it snowed almost 9 inches before it turned to drizzle again. I think they clean it off around 5 am. Just click the link and push the play button. https://www.stevenspass.com/the-mountain/mountain-conditions/mountain-cams.aspx
Yeah, I just looked at that also and the other NWAC sites. It is kind of bleak. From Stevens north and west the snow level has been roughly 5000', will cool for a while today to as far south as Snoqualmie, then likely turn back to rain to even a bit higher than that, before finally cooling and drying about 4am Saturday. This is not the big snow maker for ski areas that we've wanted. The top of Alpental, Crystal at Green Valley (probably mixed), Paradise, and the top of White are getting lots of rain, Crystal the big winner thus far with 4". The good news is the glaciers are finally getting a big dump of new snow above something like 6000-6500' at Rainier and much lower to the Skagit areas. The Baker ski area thus far has had less snow/rain, but water totals in the Southern Olympics range to 5" or so and up to 7" has fallen in SW Washington. Anybody want to go skiing?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostFri Dec 20, 2019 3:01 pm 
Weve got the first gauge above 10 inches of rain. https://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=sew&issuedby=SEW&product=RRM Most noteworthy i think is the 6+ inches recorded in auburn. Not bad for the lowlands/seattle metro! Overall the distribution between lowlands/highlands is more even than i would expect. Interesting. Not done yet either. Another inch or two coming i think.

altasnob

altasnob
PostFri Dec 20, 2019 4:02 pm 
thunderhead wrote:
Overall the distribution between lowlands/highlands is more even than i would expect. Interesting.
Cliff Mass said that the storm is now in more of a north/south orientation and therefore we are not getting as much orographic lifting, and Olympic mountain rain shadow effect, as our more normal west/southwest storm tracks. While the Cascade ski areas are getting soaked, looks like Hurricane Ridge has stayed almost entirely at freezing or below (road is currently closed). And of course, Washington Pass is getting dumped on. https://www.nwac.us/weatherdata/hurricaneridge/now/ https://www.nwac.us/weatherdata/washingtonpass/now/

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostFri Dec 20, 2019 6:41 pm 
altasnob wrote:
Cliff Mass said that the storm is now in more of a north/south orientation and therefore we are not getting as much orographic lifting as our more normal west/southwest storm tracks.
Ya, I agree, thats gotta be part of the difference. Maybe all of it. The normally better-at-terrain-influences high resolution forecast models sure missed on that one. The lower resolution global models all did better. And man, the higher terrain is getting so much snow. Crystal got like 5 inches of water last i saw and its upper 1000 feet or so looks like it was all snow. It came with heavy winds but leeward slopes must be absolutely loaded?

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Dec 20, 2019 7:27 pm 
Upper Methow got dumped on. Best storm in a couple years.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Dec 21, 2019 7:52 am 
From what I read yesterday, The Loup did not get much snow out of this. They will start packing but don't have enough to open. I do not know about the cross country trails up there but will assume there isn't enough snow yet to groom. We got 4 inches of heavy, wet snow. The avalanches coming off the roofs in the neighborhood were impressive and it was hard snow to clear. The neighborhood was busy doing that and the volunteer snowplower--yup, we got one, improved the city plow work and cleared out driveway berms. I shall make him some cookies.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
gb

gb
PostSat Dec 21, 2019 9:32 am 
It wasn't good for skiing, but great for glaciers. Mt. Baker got 25" of snow at the lodge, but it rained at times and there has been little snow since. But it should have been mostly snow, and 60-70" of it at and above 5000' (may have rained a little). Hurricane seems to have gotten almost all snow - like 50" of it - but fairly wet snow. Stevens probably got little snow but some freezing rain. Alpental got a foot of snow, then freezing rain and finally about 4" new near the top. Total rainfall, though, was similar to Baker. Crystal shows 9" new at 6000' on the webcam, but it rained much of the time. Even the summit webcam shows icicles on the heavily covered chairs. Paradise got shafted with almost no snow out of this. Washington Pass accumulated 28" of new snow, but it also clearly rained there and has snowed little since - maybe 4-5". Somewhere around 6000' it was likely almost all snow. And so it goes, another dust on crust event. Perhaps some places will get up to 6" of drier snow before it ends..... The freezing level this morning (4AM) ranges from 3600' at Quillayute to 5700' at Boeing Field and then ramps up to 8500' at Pendleton, Or.