Forum Index > Trail Talk > Looking for a snow hike December 21-29
Previous :: Next Topic  
Dante

Dante

PostSat Dec 21, 2019 7:26 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
My son is home from the Navy until the 29th and would like to go for a snow hike while he's here.  I have several pairs of snow shoes and trekking poles, and snowshoeing/snow camping experience.  Looking for a day hike or overnight--preferably easy to reach from seattle.  My trailhead vehicle may be the limiting factor--I don't have 4WD or AWD, but do have a VW TDI (lots of weight over the front wheels) with a limited-slip differential, winter tires, and chains (if necessary).
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
WaState

WaState

PostSat Dec 21, 2019 8:49 pm 
Check out mt Si
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork

Food truck
PostSat Dec 21, 2019 11:16 pm 
Iím not sure how decent the snow is, or how safe it is in general.  I would stay away from any steep terrain, including run out zones.   Right now, nothing comes to mind.

--------------
When I grow up I wanna play.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen

LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostSat Dec 21, 2019 11:29 pm 
Recommending Paradise as a great location with multiple options of which way to go, all pretty safe as far as avy risk goes (i.e. easy to avoid when danger is high). Option of snow camping is also available.

--------------
Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Jeff
Ramen Elitist

Jeff

Ramen Elitist
PostSun Dec 22, 2019 6:09 pm 
Reflection lake or anywhere else near Paradise.

Grace lake or skyline lake if Stevens Pass ski resort will let you park overnight.

Austin Pass, just before Artist Point. You should be able to pay to park overnight at the Baker ski resort.

Kelcema lake is alright.

I like the Surprise lake are, but that is probably dangerous in current conditions.

Mowich lake if you don't mind a road slog.
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath

Faster than light
PostSun Dec 22, 2019 7:21 pm 
Pearrygin Lake.
Jeff
Ramen Elitist

Jeff

Ramen Elitist
PostMon Dec 23, 2019 11:35 am 
Sourdough on Hwy 20 is also great in the winter. There is like 100ft of knife edge ridge that could give you some trouble. If you stick just to the west of that short section you can stay in the trees and it's pretty safe.
RichP
here and there

RichP

here and there
PostMon Dec 23, 2019 5:37 pm 
Welldigger's Ass is a pretty good snowshoe as is Arrowhead in the same general area.
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon

PostTue Dec 24, 2019 12:12 am 
Thinkin bout getting up into similar vicinities myself

--------------
YOU NEVER KNOW!!
rossb

rossb

PostWed Dec 25, 2019 10:58 am 
From Seattle, the closest straightforward snowshoe trip is to Kendall Lakes. It can be a little bit tricky to get to the first lake (from the road) but you will likely see a path. There are several lakes to explore. The only drawback is that may encounter a fair number of people along the way (but likely no one else camping).

If you are willing to drive a bit further, than I would go with Paradise. The terrain is fairly safe, and you can wander away from people. It is a spectacular area, and you immediately get into open country, which is a lot of fun on snowshoes (or skis). You probably want to check with the ranger if you are planning on being there overnight.
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Trail Talk > Looking for a snow hike December 21-29
  Happy Birthday Dane, jointhedance!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: