Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > hunter decline
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Logbear

Logbear
PostWed Dec 25, 2019 11:33 am 
So does Montana and/or Idaho have a 5% success rate? https://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/management/game-harvest/2018/deer-statewide#sw-mult

“There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.” – Sir Ranulph Fiennes
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostWed Dec 25, 2019 10:49 pm 
cdestroyer wrote:
I don't know about after 1973 requirement for the training course. I had to attend the course in 1960 in order to get a license. And it had a lot to do with safe handling of firearms and not a lot about how to hunt, tracking,spotting etc.
The gun safety card back in the ‘60’s was only required for minors. Adults could just walk into Bob’s Sporting etc and get a license.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
timberghost

timberghost
PostThu Dec 26, 2019 6:23 am 
Ski wrote:
Perhaps it will finally reach a tipping point when all of the hunters and fishermen decide they've had enough and they all stop buying licenses.
That is when those "interested parties" have achieved there goal of an end to hunting.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Dec 26, 2019 8:04 am 
Pyrites wrote:
The gun safety card back in the ‘60’s was only required for minors. Adults could just walk into Bob’s Sporting etc and get a license.
That's because it was assumed that our parents knew enough to teach us. Mine did. I think just about every kid's father hunted, or it seemed.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostThu Dec 26, 2019 11:59 am 
BigBrunyon wrote:
Go figure, America is not competing HARD enough relatively speaking! Theres food out to get and we're not even trying! Opting to eat small plates or vegetarian plates. Not a big fan of "small plate" culture and clearly its leading to this recent hunter decline!!!
Well, my homies back in Pennsyltucky are doing their best to, ahem, buck the decline-in-hunting trend. https://www.tricountyindependent.com/sports/20191219/winners-announced-for-39th-annual-big-buck-contest As you can see in article, PA hunters harvested well over 350 thousand deer last season, the highest in 14 years. This is more than ten times the number Wisconsin hunters harvested, despite the same estimated deer population, 1.5 million. PA does have more hunters than Wisconsin, but only about 1.4 times as many (about 1 million vs about 700 thousand), so I have no idea why the large harvest difference. PA also leads US in deer/automobile collisions, over 125,000/year. So about 1/3 of PA deer herd is killed every year; yet there are still too many. The deer eat all the low vegetation so the forests are not being renewed and low-growing species, like mountain laurel (the state flower no less), are being decimated. The deer have no natural predators now. Ironically, the Penn State mascot is a mountain lion. The last mountain lion in PA was killed in the late 1800s. Speaking of mascots. The mascot of my old high school is Buckhorns. Not the whole deer, just the horns. So this is akin to, say, the UW Husky Teeth vs the WSU Cougar Claws. And, even stranger, the girls teams are the Lady Buckhorns. But I drift.

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostFri Dec 27, 2019 11:15 am 
I'd seriously love to see hunting become a thing of the past. The issue of funding WDFW is easily solved by just having the state fully fund the agency. I would happily pay more in taxes, fees etc. to replace hunting revenue. They should consider marketing to wildlife photographers - I'd love to buy an annual wildlife photography pass, or a bumper sticker. They could market exclusive paid-for access to areas of wildlife refuges normally off-limits to the public, filling blinds with cameras instead of guns.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Brian R

Brian R
PostFri Dec 27, 2019 11:42 am 
NacMacFeegle wrote:
I'd seriously love to see hunting become a thing of the past. The issue of funding WDFW is easily solved by just having the state fully fund the agency. I would happily pay more in taxes, fees etc. to replace hunting revenue. They should consider marketing to wildlife photographers - I'd love to buy an annual wildlife photography pass, or a bumper sticker. They could market exclusive paid-for access to areas of wildlife refuges normally off-limits to the public, filling blinds with cameras instead of guns.
Urban values. Coming by force to a county near you.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Dec 28, 2019 6:47 pm 
Areas should only be off limits to homemade for good reasons. If an area is closed for restoration, breeding, whatever, then people shouldn't be allowed in just because they have money and a camera.

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostSat Dec 28, 2019 11:17 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Areas should only be off limits to homemade for good reasons. If an area is closed for restoration, breeding, whatever, then people shouldn't be allowed in just because they have money and a camera.
Hunters are allowed into closed areas just because they have money and a gun. Many wildlife refuges even have blinds set up for hunters to use. I'm just suggesting opening up those same special opportunities afforded to hunters to wildlife photographers. I'm sure that properly advertised, such a program could easily make up for revenue losses uncured by a declining interest in hunting.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Dec 29, 2019 8:49 am 
NacMacFeegle wrote:
Hunters are allowed into closed areas just because they have money and a gun.
Where exactly? This is the case on some private lands, but where on public lands? The places where master hunters are allowed don't count either, because that is usually in a place where folks are having problems with wildlife but due to houses and civilization, it would be bad to let anybody with a license in to hunt. So please give an example of such a place on public land.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostSun Dec 29, 2019 9:53 am 
timberghost wrote:
I know alot of hunters and a high portion are now hunting in Idaho and Montana. For most it's about opportunity to possible harvest a deer or elk. The success rate for the general season has dropped off to somewhere around 5%.
This. Definetly this. WA state hunting generally sucks. There's just not that many deer compared with most of the rest of the country. I dont know if its a result of mismanagement/overhunting or climate/terrain. Probably both but I suspect the latter is worse. Between the tall trees or deep snows of the cascades and the desert interior, i think our state naturally supports low animal density.

Logbear

Logbear
PostSun Dec 29, 2019 11:32 am 
https://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/management/game-harvest/2018/deer-statewide#sw-mult Am I reading this wrong. For deer It says Washington State had a 26% success rate statewide. Where is this 5% coming from.

“There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.” – Sir Ranulph Fiennes
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostSun Dec 29, 2019 12:09 pm 
5% could be elk. Or maybe westside. Eastside deer is better but not good.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Dec 29, 2019 5:05 pm 
The guys that I know who like the hunting in Montana and Wyoming better than here stated that there was less of a crowd to deal with. Also, they are from the SW part of our state and like the more open country. One actually bought property in Wyoming.

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostSun Dec 29, 2019 6:48 pm 
Ya my buddy and I did a hunt in WY last year. So many more animals than I see here. Still lots of hunters though at least where we were.