Forum Index > Trip Reports > Peak 3920+ / Chapel Peak 12/22/2019
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Dec 23, 2019 11:31 am 
Went out dumpster diving after the latest Pineapple Express Peak 3920+ Nobody does this thing. I don't know if anyone has ever done this. This is just north of Satsop Lake. Left at the x2452T marke in the road. Walked the abandoned road east for about 100 meters then went up hill through decent underbrush. Brush was a little wet, but not too bad. Made it to the ridgeline an then worked my way up the ridgeline having to "tarzan" or vegie belay for 200 feet. Quite slippery. After that it was a traverse over to the top. Yes, I was wet, and the sun was shining. Some views to the north. From here I kept traversing avoiding a couple of of rock outcrops directly on the ridge--sidehilling was steep in these sections. Eventually made it to the trail before the pass. Dropped the pack, changed clothes and then went up Chapel Peak doing some more minor vegie belays here and there following a route given earlier on nwhikers.net: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8020840&highlight=chapel+pk+peak I was wet again--at least the top was a nice place...and there were clouds all around at this time. Then came down the same route, back to pack and walked the Satsop Lake trail out. Except for one minor thing. The trail going around the west side of Satsop Lake was under 5 feet of water. Satsop Lake has no outlet, so the latest Pineapple Express has risen the lake. I had to make a circuitous route around the lake. Snow patches started in the 3000 feet range. Snow picked up at at 3500 foot range with the trees still having snow on them. Depth of snow up to almost 4000 feet was about 6 inches. 5.5 hours round trip.
chapel peak
chapel peak

Art is an adventure.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
meck

meck
PostMon Dec 23, 2019 4:38 pm 
Nice trip Stefan. Do you have any pictures of the lake this time around? (I remember how low it was when I visited). I thought Ranger Rock may have gone up 3920 at least partially a few years back. Was the road in OK, or would you need a 4wd vehicle?

*Just say NO to Rent-Seeking, don't give up the concept of "ownership"*
Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Dec 23, 2019 11:59 pm 
No pictures of the lake. All I had was the cell phone....and my pictures suck The road is driveable by any vehicle. There might be some big potholes but they are avoidable. And thanks for your trip report. It helped!

Art is an adventure.
iron

iron
PostTue Dec 24, 2019 5:42 am 
my idol

Brucester

Brucester
PostTue Dec 24, 2019 10:10 am 
Thanks for sharing your garbage! lol.gif The best stuff is in dumpsters! Anyone up for this?