Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Elkhorn campground
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dick B

Dick B
PostTue Dec 24, 2019 1:37 pm 
Does anyone happen to have any pictures of what might remain of the old Elkhorn campground on the Dose? In the 50s a friend of mine spent several summers as a guard on the Dose and oversaw the maintenance. Thanks

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
reststep

reststep
PostTue Dec 24, 2019 4:32 pm 
I might have some pictures but I would have to search for them. There are some pictures on google. Search for "Elkhorn Campground Olympic National Forest". The problem though is that some of the pictures appear to be the National Park Campground at the end of the road. The last time I was there there were some camp spots with picnic tables. The concrete bridge that goes across the Dose a short ways before Elkhorn Campground is still there. The bridge that goes nowhere.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Ancient Ambler

Ancient Ambler
PostWed Dec 25, 2019 6:47 am 
Dick B wrote:
Does anyone happen to have any pictures of what might remain of the old Elkhorn campground on the Dose? In the 50s a friend of mine spent several summers as a guard on the Dose and oversaw the maintenance. Thanks
Some of the Elkhorn campground picnic tables are partially buried in river debris, while others are intact. The outhouse is intact, but is locked. On February 28, 2014 I took a number of photos on short walks down to the Big Quilcene at Fallsview, to the falls at Rocky Brook, from the Dosewallips road washout to and around Elkhorn campground, and from Elkhorn up the road to Dose Falls. Your friend is probably familiar with all of the places covered in my trip report, which can be viewed here. The 7 images after the one labelled "Dose at the washout" include a view looking westerly up the Dose, photos of the Dose from the riverbank in the campground and one showing one of the intact campsites in the Elkhorn campground, backlit by the winter sun. The depicted washout is what has closed the Dose Road 5.5 miles downriver from the ONP Dose Ranger Station for almost 2 decades. More recently, flood damage has closed the Dose road 1 mile downriver from the washout, making it a 6.5 mile road walk from the new trailhead to the Dose Ranger Station. I probably have some more photos of the Elkhorn campground, but I won't be able to look for them till after the holidays. I'll let you know either way.