Forum Index > Trail Talk > Easy winter hike around Paradise
Previous :: Next Topic  
Jeff
Ramen Elitist

Jeff

Ramen Elitist
PostWed Dec 25, 2019 4:01 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Can anyone suggest an easy hike for taking someone to Paradise for the first time? I'll have snowshoes. Looking for something around an hour at an easy pace and under 800ft of gain.

Is Edith Creek basin scenic? Or should we try to get as close to the flat spot under Panorama Point? Or would Reflection lake from Narada be good? Or something else?
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
rossb

rossb

PostWed Dec 25, 2019 4:22 pm 
I would just wander up from where you park. I wouldn't worry too much about a destination -- just make sure you don't get lost. I like the area that is slightly climber's left as you ascend. It is relatively flat there, with a nice mix of trees and open ground (with views of Rainier). You will be heading up towards Glacier Vista, but you don't have to go all the way there to have a very good time.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
RandyHiker
Snarky Member

RandyHiker

Snarky Member
PostWed Dec 25, 2019 8:05 pm 
A good loop is to follow the Skyline trail to the base of Panaroma point (where the slope steepens) then cut east and follow the gentle bench east until intersecting with the Golden Gate trail and following  that back to Paradise.   Two tricky aspects.  1)  Cutting east too soon leads to steep slopes and cliffs.   2) Crossing the creek to get back to Paradise , crossing on the bridge can be interesting.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen

LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostSun Dec 29, 2019 12:51 pm 
I enjoyed Edith Creek Basin when I shoed it a number of years ago. You'll certainly gave more solitude there. Towards the bottom had a nice, fairly long encounter with a fox. He told me his name was Mortimer.

--------------
Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Trail Talk > Easy winter hike around Paradise
  Happy Birthday K-rino!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: