Forum Index > Trip Reports > Domelands & Secret Slot Success, 12.03.17
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostSat Dec 23, 2017 3:33 pm 
After failing to find the slot a week before, this time I went w/a couple people who'd been there before and remembered how to get there again. Now that I know where it is, it's actually not that far/difficult to get to & when all the proper turns are made the 1st time, this hike comes in @ under 9 mi. up.gif Around the time this trip took place, a fellow hiker sent out an E-mail to everyone saying that they tried to find the slot, "went astray", & would like people w/GPSs to come for a re-do on 1/26. I emailed him & said I'd just been there & could send a link with a map/GPS coordinates, etc. Hopefully his group will be successful this time. up.gif On the way in:
Views
Views
The narrow trail that leads down into the wash after the trail splits
The narrow trail that leads down into the wash after the trail splits
Dropping down into the wash
Dropping down into the wash
Dodging mud chunks
Dodging mud chunks
@ the dry waterfall:
Lunch @ the dry fall
Lunch @ the dry fall
Nope
Nope
Atop the dry fall
Atop the dry fall
Continuing on:
Shells & mud
Shells & mud
Shells & mud
Shells & mud
Lots of shells
Lots of shells
Lots of shells
Lots of shells
Layers
Layers
On the narrow trail going northish toward the slot
On the narrow trail going northish toward the slot
Turning left up this trail to start looping back
Turning left up this trail to start looping back
Snail & petrified penis
Snail & petrified penis
The secret slot:
Slot comes into view
Slot comes into view
Entering the lower end of slot
Entering the lower end of slot
In the slot
In the slot
In the slot
In the slot
In the slot
In the slot
In the slot
In the slot
In the slot
In the slot
In the slot
In the slot
In the slot
In the slot
Upper entrance of slot
Upper entrance of slot
Near upper entrance to slot
Near upper entrance to slot
Above the upper entrance of slot
Above the upper entrance of slot
On the ridge heading toward the domes:
Badlands
Badlands
Long shadow
Long shadow
Pano
Pano
On the ridge trail heading back to the domes
On the ridge trail heading back to the domes
Domes
Domes
Domes
Domes
Badlands
Badlands
Badlands
Badlands
The trail that goes down the ridge to the slot
The trail that goes down the ridge to the slot
Domes
Domes
Domes
Domes
On the way down:
Heading back down
Heading back down
Flamingo nest?
Flamingo nest?
Sunset
Sunset
Stats
Stats
Post-hike refreshments:
Post-hike drinks
Post-hike drinks

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
daffish

daffish
PostSat Dec 23, 2017 7:16 pm 
Sigh. There are no 'sekrit' places anymore. In the late 1960's, my friends and I would go out there in the winter and camp in the windcaves. Our local name for the place was more in keeping with that era. I remember fossils scattered all over the place; some sand dollar fossils as big as dinner plates (broken up and embedded in the sandstone, but still impressively large). No trails back then, of course. But lots of fun; like getting the VW stuck in the sandy wash way past where it seems there is a gate now. Curiously, even though we had wandered all over the ridges where the domelands are, we never discovered the 'slot'.

"Be moderate in everything, including moderation" Horace Porter
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat Dec 23, 2017 7:34 pm 
daffish wrote:
Sigh. There are no 'sekrit' places anymore.
Well if it's any consolation to you daffish, she hasn't yet published my favorite sekrit spot in the Anza Borrego Desert. I used to go there in the 70's. It's a big desert and hopefully some places remain off the public radar. wink.gif On the other hand one has to admit that B.C. has covered a lot of ground down there and is definitely leaving no stone unturned. It could be only a matter of time. paranoid.gif ~z

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSat Dec 23, 2017 11:01 pm 
Cool trip. Those holes at the bottom of the slot canyon don't look connected. Are they potholes eroded by whirlpools of water?

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostFri Dec 29, 2017 9:01 pm 
zephyr wrote:
she hasn't yet published my favorite sekrit spot in the Anza Borrego Desert. I used to go there in the 70's. It's a big desert and hopefully some places remain off the public radar. wink.gif
I'd ask you to tell me what spot you're talking about, but I know you won't. wink.gif I've heard of some place in the park where there are native American arrows shot up into cracks of a rock, but I have no idea where that is & everyone I ask claims they have no idea. confused.gif Supposedly there is also a bunch of petrified wood above Arroyo Seco del Diablo, but I have yet to check it out. dizzy.gif There's definitely more exploring I wanna do up in Collins Valley & the surrounding canyons, but it's a matter of having a high clearance vehicle to get there. hmmm.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostSun Dec 31, 2017 5:11 pm 
puzzlr wrote:
Cool trip. Those holes at the bottom of the slot canyon don't look connected. Are they potholes eroded by whirlpools of water?
That's what I'm guessing. It's the 1st time I'd been in one w/the bottom dropped out... paranoid.gif

Terry
TLR

Terry
TLR
PostSun Dec 29, 2019 7:40 am 
Hi, we just hiked to the Domes, slot canyon, and 'beach' on Xmas day, 2019. one of the best hikes I've been on! I've been trying to trace our route on various online maps, googlemaps, etc. and have failed. It seems to be pretty standard route from what I've seen but the details are not that. I was hoping to get the map/GPS coordinates that you mentioned in your trip report? 'could send a link with a map/GPS coordinates, etc'. Thanks! Terry

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostMon Dec 30, 2019 12:30 pm 
OK I'll see if I still have it. I don't think I'll be able to send the link directly (I've tried that multiple times before w/other hikes & it never seems to work) but I think I have a snippet/screenshot of the route for you to look @, & I can PM you w/that.