Forum Index > Trail Talk > Was 2019 the Deadliest year for Washington Hikers?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schroder

Schroder
PostSat Dec 28, 2019 6:53 pm 
This question has come up as long as I can remember but the answers are not easy because the statistics are not shared. Part of the reason for this is that Search and Rescue is the jurisdiction of local law enforcement and hiking is not a statistical category for most. To me, the 70's were the worst in the mountains and it seemed that the majority of SAR missions ended in body recovery. I lost 5 or 6 acquaintances in one year in climbing accidents. Rainier had extreme numbers of fatalities in the late 70's. Incidents seemed to taper down in the 80's and 90's. You would expect the numbers to be on the rise now from the huge increase in population and numbers of people on the trails but it's hard to say. Accidents in North American Mountaineering is not a compilation of all climbing incidents but just a cross section of selected ones submitted by Mountain Rescue groups.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
snowmonkey

snowmonkey
PostSun Dec 29, 2019 7:05 am 
Haha-good catch!! hihi.gif dizzy.gif

Ocian in view! O! The joy! William Clark
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostSun Dec 29, 2019 11:42 am 
Good points Schroder. When you include avalanches that also changes the perspective. All sad.

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostSun Dec 29, 2019 1:43 pm 
forest gnome wrote:
I do remember a super popular pair? of guys from this sight... of climbers who were descending in a storm, very experienced bad vis...there was a whole discussion (from the survivor) about the details of what happend....basically one went behind a boulder to put on a shell jacket, the other gentleman took a wrong turn a short distance and fell through a cornice...tragic loss for all the friends here who climbed with them..will try to look up the story again as we can all learn from these story's.
Franklin Bradshaw. I'm certain that those who knew him well still miss him dearly. For every rescue that's reported, there a plenty more that are never pursued by the media. Case in point: my (estranged) brother was lost for a week in ONP and had to be flown out because he was so severely dehydrated (how do you get severely dehydrated in ONP???) that he could not walk out under his own power. NO mention of this in the news. About a year later, I stumbled upon an article about the 3 rescues in a single 24 hour period that this bird out of Oak Harbor did - my brother, not mentioned by name but recognizable to me by the details provided, was #3 of 3. A single column inch in a multiple column story. Anyway, neither proves nor disproves whether there are more casualties or less, nor whether certain casualties could have been prevented. Sometimes, sh*t just happens.

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSun Dec 29, 2019 3:39 pm 
Gwen wrote:
nor whether certain casualties could have been prevented. Sometimes, sh*t just happens.
I think it comes down to the idea as to whether or not an accident was foreseeable or not. And our judgement on that question is often highly subjective, dependent on many factors. Regardless, it is likely we cannot accurately assess whether there is an increase in hiking accidents and fatalities in the PNW. And most certainly it would be impossible to asign an overarching reason for any increase or decrease. We can all have our opinions about the matter but that's all. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostTue Dec 31, 2019 8:44 am 
ya gwen that was him,,,that was one of a few amazing accounts of the actual partner giving details about what happened...much appreciated by everyone I'm sure.

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostTue Dec 31, 2019 5:17 pm 
iron wrote:
this is inaccurate. no storm. just a mistake.
I think gnomie was simply loosely referring to the gusty winds they encountered as they neared the summit.

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostFri Jan 10, 2020 8:37 am 
thanks for the link's iron...hope to have others do the same in the thread...that has some specific info that is incredable...ahhh yes the winds, he ducked behind a boulder to put on a shell... I specifically do remember that the snowshoer person past prat lake had no extra clothes, stopped with the group at the end of the hike..."got chilled" so decided to return by herself... took a wrong turn down by pratt....simple mistakes .....there was also no mention of any gear she actually had, sounded like nothing....found on the 3rd night....