Forum Index > Trail Talk > Early April in the SW?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wiki summary

wiki summary
PostWed Jan 01, 2020 11:16 am 
You're apt to find heavy competition at popular campgrounds for camp sites (Goblin Valley etc.) as this will be spring break time for many schools. Other than that, it's a nice time too visit the area.

This wiki summary post can be edited by any member
Back to top Reply to topic
slabbyd

slabbyd
PostFri Jan 03, 2020 11:48 am 
Kids spring break is always the first week of April and we typically head to the Colorado Plateau. For the last 3 years we've had perfect conditions. 60-70 during the day and 40 at night. But we've also been extremely lucky. Randy above mentions camping through snow storms and cool and wet weather for the 2nd week of April in 2019. We where on the Navajo Rez during the first week and backpacked in t-shirts the entire time. Two years ago we canoed the Green River in Canyonlands again great weather but the week before had highs in the 20's with snowfall. There's also the potential for plenty of rain. If you're staying in hotels most nights you should have a great time. With reasonable hiking conditions on a majority of days.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Jan 03, 2020 1:13 pm 
If it does snow, it usually warms up enough to melt during the day. Beware of clay soils!

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSat Jan 04, 2020 9:51 pm 
Bedivere wrote:
joker wrote:
There are decent climate tables online
I'm sure. Still, it's nice to hear people's personal experiences and input.
Oh yeah, no question. My only point about the climate tables is that they give a pretty decent sense of what the extremes are that you ought to be ready for (but may not face). As gb notes it can be pretty variable there at that time of year. And the towns can vary enough in elevation that you'll see some real differences in places not wildly far apart... On a non-climate note, I spent a bit over a week in the Bluff area on the cusp of Oct/Nov a little over a year ago and clearly barely scratched the surface of what there is to do and see around there. SO many places, so little time...

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSat Jan 04, 2020 9:56 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Beware of clay soils!
I heard that some locals call the wet red clay soil "dinosaur snot." I ran into a guy who was doing a cross-country move and spending a bit of it in UT. He had found a nice remote camping spot the night before, but had a bit of a harrowing morning after a rain squall soaked the road. Suffice it to say that he and his floor mats ended up with a lot of that dino snot on them. He felt quite lucky to have gotten his car back onto the road w/o having to just wait for it to dry. When I have driven more remote roads down around there that have that red soil I have made sure to have at least a week's worth of water and food on board in case of having to wait for it to dry after an unexpected rain event.