Forum Index > Trail Talk > Zoom>>>, the snowpack likely returns to normal this week.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Jan 20, 2020 11:40 am 
The snowpack on the metal roofs here gave way late yesterday. I'm taking a break from shoveling it. We had drizzle on top of 8" of snow and temps in the 30s. The rumble went on into the night.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Jan 20, 2020 6:54 pm 
Atmospheric River on the way this week
Quote:
Heavy rains Wednesday through Friday, especially for the Coast and Mountains with 3 to 6 inches of rain expected. Snow levels will be around 5000 to 6000 feet. This may cause rivers around Western Washington to approach flood stage. Be sure to check the latest forecasts over the next few days.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostMon Jan 20, 2020 7:23 pm 
We used to call that a Pineapple Express. Oh how I long for the days when we'd only get one or two of those a season.

gb

gb
PostTue Jan 21, 2020 9:27 am 
Bedivere wrote:
We used to call that a Pineapple Express. Oh how I long for the days when we'd only get one or two of those a season.
It has changed so much in that regard. Back in the 70's when I was working full time I used to heli ski in Canada - didn't cost that much back then - as that was the best vacation I thought I could have. My first trips were to the Monashees but I remember best riding a bus to Valemount (probably in 1978) and we drove through and stopped at Blue River north of Kamloops. The conifer trees were roughly 50' tall at this cafe in Blue River and were giant cones of dry powder snow as it had snowed nearly continually and never warmed up or blew all winter. By the winter of 1980-81 there was a storm that at Panorama near Radium Hot Springs - my friend managed heli-skiing there - that lifted the freezing level to 11,000'. That had never happened before. Since then, even in the Interior Ranges of BC, there are often 3-6 River events that lift snow levels to 6-7000' even there. I recall one event probably in 2003 or 2004 where the Atmospheric River ran all the way to Hudson's Bay, raising temperatures there to 50F in January. Frank Baumann and I discussed that event at the time. Right now in Revelstoke it is likely going to rain this week. North of Revelstoke at 1800' along the Columbia in the earlier era it never warmed up above freezing at Mica Creek until mid-February. It just snowed. The town of Mica Creek used to get 400" of snowfall. Things have changed rather radically in my active lifetime and, of course, I don't heli-ski anymore either as what once cost $700-$1000 now costs $14,000.