Forum Index > Trail Talk > Cascade Pass trailhead shuttle needed for late June 2020
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
cathyrl

cathyrl
PostTue Jan 21, 2020 1:39 pm 
Our family of four is looking to hike Cascade Pass to Stehekin, after which we will spend a week at Holden Village. We're hoping to find someone willing to shuttle our car from the Cascade Pass trailhead to Chelan (or Fields Point) sometime between Wednesday June 24th and July 2nd. Anyone got a lead? (Yes, I know this is early days planning. I give myself plenty of time to work on logistics. smile.gif)

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostTue Jan 21, 2020 9:10 pm 
This may be early planning, but the early that concerns me is the date range. That's super early in the season and you might not even be able to access the TH yet. Just my $0.02.

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
cathyrl

cathyrl
PostTue Jan 21, 2020 10:40 pm 
Gwen, You're right. It's be a call we make in the week or two before. But we've had good luck with Cascade Pass that early in the past - not frequently, but enough times to keep me optimistic! Thx for thinking it through. 🙂 Cathy

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Jan 21, 2020 11:05 pm 
I'll ask some people but I doubt it. You'll probably be able to do the hike that early but there will almost certainly be snow approaching the pass and down into Pelton Basin. An ice ax would be a really good thing to have, the talus field can be slippery in the snow and you'll eventually hit a boulder. It's a fantastic hike. You should do it slower than you're capable of and make side trips. Don't miss Horseshoe Basin, explore around your camps, etc. It's lovely in there, and it's like a tour of all the different kinds of mountain ecosystem in the PNW. Enjoy! 🙂

cathyrl

cathyrl
PostWed Jan 22, 2020 9:54 am 
Thanks! If we can figure out the car and make this happen, then we'll definitely be prepared. I'm grateful for the hive mind helping to think of all the things one most consider!!

kiliki

kiliki
PostWed Jan 22, 2020 12:31 pm 
I'd suggest breaking this down into hourly costs and then offering that amount. The person would need to get to Cascade Pass from wherever they live, then 5 hours to Chelan, then they need to get home from Chelan. They probably need another person to come get them. That is a lot of time (and gas for their pickup). But maybe you know a college student that would love to make $200+gas that way.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Jan 22, 2020 12:45 pm 
The car shuttler needs another person with them the whole time, to drive the second car. No one will abandon their car at CP trailhead. Unless the people live in Chelan or Marblemount then it doesn’t seem feasible. I guessed $500 at least, based on using lots of gasoline and 12 hours times 2 people. I would try to arrange to get home from Chelan, by bus or rental car. Then all you need is a ride to CP, which would be pretty easy to come by. I would drive you up there for gas money alone, then I get a free dayhike to CP. My van holds up to six people with overnight packs, no problem, and I am scheduled to be off the 24th of June. Since we have no idea where you live, it is hard to make suggestions. But if the shuttle works best for you, I would try to find someone in Chelan willing to do it.