Forum Index > Trail Talk > Comparing Fremont Lookout trail v Mt. Burroughs trail in Mt. Rainier National Park
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
chitra0828
Chitra

chitra0828
Chitra
PostSun May 23, 2021 4:02 pm 
Hi All, new members excited to be visiting Mount Rainier NP this summer. As we review hikes around the Sunrise Visitors center we were wondering if it's worth doing both Fremont Lookout and Mt. Burroughs trail? I ask only because the 1st section of the trail seems to be the same for both, after which the Mt. B one kinda goes straight while the Fremont lookout takes a turn away. Would very much appreciate views and thoughts. Thx Chitra

Chitra
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schroder

Schroder
PostSun May 23, 2021 5:35 pm 
When I'm down there I usually take the side trip over to the lookout then take the loop up to 2nd Burroughs & back on the Burroughs Mountain Trail above the White River. Expect a few patches of steep snow over the trail on Burroughs through August. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7968239

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSun May 23, 2021 5:53 pm 
chitra0828 wrote:
Hi All, new members excited to be visiting Mount Rainier NP this summer.
Welcome to NW Hikers. Regarding your question about doing both Burroughs Mtn and Mt. Fremont Lookout on the same day: it depends on your conditioning, time frame, and the weather that day. There are two main approaches to Burroughs Mountain from Sunrise Visitor Center. You have already mentioned the one that takes you by Mt. Fremont. So once you have visited Mt. Fremont lookout, you would head back to that main trail that accesses Mt. Burroughs. You would not get on to the Wonderland Trail which takes you around the Mountain. Here's a CalTopo link to look at. (Push the two side bars and get a full map view.) This trail traverses Burroughs Mountain on the north side. Note that there can be steep icy sections on this side of Burroughs that last well into the summer. At the least I would want an ice axe for that part of the traverse. Here's a WTA hike description of Mt. Fremont. The main photo shows the north side of Burroughs Mountain and the icy traverses that the trail crosses in a few spots. And here is a link to the WTA trail description of Burroughs Mountain. Burroughs has three main high points, First Burroughs, Second Burroughs, and Third Burroughs. Mt. Fremont is beautiful, the whole area is magnificent. But if I only had a short time window, I would go to Third Burroughs. You can go to either end of the final ridge. You are right up on the Winthrop Glacier, looking down on the crevasses. It's rather incredible. The Emmons Glacier on the south and the Inter Glacier between are remarkable as well. I hope you have great weather. ~z

chitra0828
Chitra

chitra0828
Chitra
PostSun May 23, 2021 6:29 pm 
Thanks very much for the replies. Sorry I should have clarified, we would not be attempting both hikes in the same day. It would be different days. Was asking if it is worth doing both - are they quite different from each other, or fairly similar terrain and scenery? Also, we want to do a 3-day multi-day hike. We are too late to get reservations at the wilderness campgrounds so we would need to hope for walk-ins at the appropriate camp sites. We called the Visitors Center and they advised us to come early to one of the Wilderness Centers and the Rangers there can plan out an itinerary for us depending on availability at the various camp sites. What are your views of this? And which areas would be good for a 3-day multi hike? We were looking at the Northern Loop and the area around Mowich Lake.

Chitra
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun May 23, 2021 6:56 pm 
Skyscraper Mountain also has a view that is a compromise between 2nd Burroughs and Fremont. The best is third Burroughs as there is a view straight down onto the Winthrop Glacier. All are superb however.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
uww

uww
PostSun May 23, 2021 7:49 pm 
If it is just Fremont vs. Burroughs, I would pick Burroughs no question. I certainly would not do both on two different days- Fremont is an addon to the Burroughs trail for me, not a destination. Unless you are way into fire lookouts or have not been in one (and who knows what COVID protocol will be...), it is no big crime to skip it in my opinion. And definitely go to all the way to Third Burroughs.

rossb

rossb
PostMon May 24, 2021 7:18 am 
So your question is basically whether it is worth it to go to Fremont after doing Burroughs on a previous day (or vice versa). In general I would say yes. You probably want to break it up, just because they both involve the same drive, and are in the same neck of the woods. But Burroughs is very different from everything in the area, just because the terrain is so different (it is essentially tundra). I wouldn't worry about the overlapped part, because it is relatively short. In fact, you can get to the hikes several different ways, so there are options for mixing it up. In general you want to cover as much new terrain as possible just because there are so many pretty areas. A lot of what makes hiking Rainier fun is the local terrain, not just the views of the volcano. I agree with the other comments; (Third) Burroughs, Skyscraper and Fremont are all really good (and I would rank them in that order). Are you talking about three day hikes, or two day hikes? If it is three, then I wouldn't hesitate to do a couple from the Sunrise trailhead, with something from a different trailhead in between. Summerland is a great hike. Glacier Basin is also nice. Neither of those two require driving up the road to Sunrise. Glacier Basin is pretty easy and melts out early. You can make a bigger day of it by taking a side trip to the Emmons Moraine. If you are camped at White River Campground, you can just start from your camp. Summerland is a little bigger hike, but one of the most spectacular in the park. It can get very crowded by midsummer (and will have plenty of snow before then). The tough part about Summerland is deciding when to turn around. It gets really nice up there, and if you just keep going and going, it makes for a long day.

vroc38

vroc38
PostMon May 24, 2021 12:48 pm 
IMO, in terms of views, the first Sunrise hike to do is Third Burroughs (or Second, if that's as far as you care to go), then Skyscraper, then Fremont. All are awesome, but Third Burroughs is just about as good as it gets.

chitra0828
Chitra

chitra0828
Chitra
PostMon May 24, 2021 6:27 pm 
Thank you so much all. Let me read up on your points and revert thanks so much!

Chitra
chitra0828
Chitra

chitra0828
Chitra
PostSat May 29, 2021 2:53 pm 
Thanks so much for the guidance. I think we will do 3rd Burroughs rather than Fremont Firetower. One further question - from 3rd Burroughs, there seem to be two different ways to get back: (1) Come back from 3rd BUrroughs and take Sunrise trail back to Sunrise; or (2) Descend from 3rd Burroughs, detour to Glacier Basin and walk back on the Glacier Basin Trail to White River Campground. Clearly (1) is shorter and easier. In your view is (2) worth it? I have read a few other posts and the full loop via Glacier Basin seems to get mixed reviews (lot of forest walking en route back)

Chitra
chitra0828
Chitra

chitra0828
Chitra
PostMon May 31, 2021 9:18 am 
Hi all - was wondering if any advice on whether this loop trail from Burroughs Mountain is worthwhile? Many thanks!

Chitra
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon May 31, 2021 2:18 pm 
chitra0828 wrote:
Hi all - was wondering if any advice on whether this loop trail from Burroughs Mountain is worthwhile? ...
Holiday weekend combined with beautiful weather is probably slowing some responses. I should think that you would have a more enjoyable experience of Third Burroughs if you started and ended at Sunrise. There's a lot of see up on that ridge (TB)--from either the north point or the southern terminus. It will be some work just to arrive up there after making it past First Burroughs and Second Burroughs. Then at Second Burroughs you lose some elevation and start up the ridge to Third. Usually there's a snowfield to cross when going up Third. Throwing White River and Glacier Basin in would be a lot more loss and gain for the day. Again, there are at least two routes to and from Sunrise to reach Third Burroughs. You could do that as a loop itself. Just remember that there could still be an icy section on the northern side of Burroughs Mtn even late summer. Also the route to Third Burroughs was more of a boot path when I was last up there. The main trail heads down toward White River once you pass Second Burroughs. These days with GPS and technology to share tracks, I am sure someone could forward you more detailed information. (I am looking at a map and using my memory.) If you are in the area for a few days, you might also consider hiking up to Summerland and possibly Panhandle Gap via the Wonderland Trail--south of White River. Beautiful waterfalls up there. ~z

Schroder

Schroder
PostMon May 31, 2021 3:10 pm 
chitra0828 wrote:
we would not be attempting both hikes in the same day. It would be different days.
It would be very easy to do. My group of old guys did the whole thing in 6 hours with a long break at Fremont Lookout and lunch on Burroughs. I wouldn't want to go off Burroughs down to the White River unless you're really looking for punishment.