Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Worthless Gear Reviews
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Alpendave

Alpendave
PostMon Jan 20, 2020 5:33 am 
Been looking for some immersion gear to make kayaking a little (actually, a lot) safer. I spoke with Kokatat about their whirlpool Bib paired with a dry top. Turns out that as far as immersion goes, “DRY pants” is a bit of a misnomer, as they will leak. Not good if the current separates you from your kayak. Still, I wanted to sea what others’ experiences with them might be. As is pretty common, I found three gear reviews that people did right out of the box. WTH cares if the gear (whatever it may be) looks all clean and shiny when and fits like a glove right out of the box? Unless you’re stupid enough to spend $370 on high tech gear you’re only going to wear around the house. Take it outside and dunk yourself in the water and then tell me about it. Same applies to any outdoor gear. Why the hell do people do gear reviews (Amazon is really bad for this) in gear they haven’t USED?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostMon Jan 20, 2020 6:20 am 
alpendave wrote:
I spoke with Kokatat about their whirlpool Bib paired with a dry top. Turns out that as far as immersion goes, “DRY pants” is a bit of a misnomer, as they will leak. Not good if the current separates you from your kayak. Still, I wanted to sea what others’ experiences with them might be. As is
I used Kokatat pants for a rafting trip on the Hula Hula River in Alaska. On the way to the Beaufort Sea I went in/out of the frigid water dozens of times and my legs and socks stayed totally dry. They have a great product. https://kokatat.com/product/gore-tex-tempest-pants-with-socks-ptugtp

Alpendave

Alpendave
PostMon Jan 20, 2020 8:04 am 
Mike Collins wrote:
On the way to the Beaufort Sea I went in/out of the frigid water dozens of times and my legs and socks stayed totally dry.
I was told that the weak point is where the double tunnel couples with the dry top. If it really works for submersion on the saltwater, I’d definitely go with that so I could have the option to use a short sleeve dry top when the weather is warm.Id also get the ones without socks. I just bought a SOT, and would love the option to cool off by dipping my feet in the water.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Jan 20, 2020 9:02 am 
A buddy of mine that has paddled all the class V around here has owned both styles of drysuits. His drytop has a belt along the waist to cinch the seal tightly. A unisuit does seal up a bit better -- be sure to get one with integrated booties if you really want keep water from seeping. A hood significantly reduces the shock of near freezing water on the head. The two piece setup is allows attending to biological need #2 in a less awkward manner.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Jan 20, 2020 10:53 am 
I have a Kokatat single piece dry suit. Hate the neck gasket. But it works.

Alpendave

Alpendave
PostMon Jan 20, 2020 12:21 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
The two piece setup is allows attending to biological need #2 in a less awkward
You mean I might not want to put it back on again?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostMon Jan 20, 2020 12:54 pm 
alpendave wrote:
WTH cares if the gear (whatever it may be) looks all clean and shiny when and fits like a glove right out of the box?
Can't help with your specific question, but on the topic of online reviews this is ubiquitous for just about everything. When I'm shopping products I look for those with the lowest percentage of negative reviews, and then I read the negative reviews to see what it is people are complaining about. It's not at all uncommon to find reviews similar to "Box was smashed and product didn't work" on a 1 star review. As if shipping damage is somehow relevant to the quality of the product. It's also pretty common to see people trying to use the product in a manner it wasn't intended for or people who can't figure out how to use the product giving negative reviews. And, as to your point, there are definitely many positive reviews that fall in the "just got it and it looks great!" positive column. Why people think teither type of review is useful is beyond me.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon Jan 20, 2020 1:59 pm 
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.buzzfeednews.com/amphtml/nicolenguyen/her-amazon-purchases-are-real-the-reviews-are-fake I prefer a wetsuit to a dry suit. Partly because as a flat water-(ish) canoe person I am not as likely to get wet from waves or splashing or doing roll overs. I merely want to be able to swim to shore after an accident before any hypothermia kicks in.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Jan 20, 2020 6:13 pm 
alpendave wrote:
Amazon is really bad for this
Bedivere wrote:
Why people think teither type of review is useful is beyond me.
I've heard that some Amazon merchants give out free stuff to people who leave a lot of positive reviews generally. I don't know if that's true or to what degree, but I knew someone who immediately reviewed everything she bought on Amazon hoping for swag. I love this sponge it was packaged well and comes in a variety of colors. One day I'll use it. Five stars!

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostTue Jan 21, 2020 12:43 am 
There free tho

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Jan 21, 2020 4:08 am 
Pretty much anything I buy on amazon I run thru fakespot. The result may surprise you!

Alpendave

Alpendave
PostTue Jan 21, 2020 5:34 am 
Slugman wrote:
I prefer a wetsuit to a dry suit. Partly because as a flat water-(ish) canoe person I am not as likely to get wet from waves or splashing or doing roll overs. I merely want to be able to swim to shore after an
I have 0.5mm NRS Hydroskin tips and bottoms to buy time in the event that I do take a swim, but knew I’ll need something more if I want to play harder. After watching this video, I knew that any leak at all would be unacceptable in some situations:

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostTue Jan 21, 2020 9:22 am 
First, Kokatat makes great gear, specialized for paddling. Now let's chat 1pc vs 2pc. The biggest problem with the two piece system is that it can be challenging to execute the "three-fold" required to seal the top and bottom properly. If you spend the time to get that right, and maybe have someone check your work back behind you, you get a fairly water tight seal. Not as secure as a one-piece dry suit, but it works fairly well for quick swims. And I'll chime in to suggest that IF going #2 is needed, it's easier to take off a 1pc suit than the dry top + bib combo. This is basically due to the difference in using the zipper of the 1pc vs the three-fold of the 2pc combo. Remember, the 2pc bottom is a bib (overalls) style, and you need to remove the dry top first to take off the bottoms. Kokatat does make a 2pc zip-together dry suit called the Idol that eliminates the problematic folding seal. It has some advantages, but many that I know who have tried it prefer the 1pc design.

Alpendave

Alpendave
PostTue Jan 21, 2020 11:08 am 
Totally jives with everything I’ve been hearing and reading. Despite what I’ve been told about the discomfort of latex ankle gaskets, I’m leaning toward the Swift Entry without socks. Having a SOT, would be nice to wear sandals and dip my feet in to could off as needed. Can wear my neoprene footwear when it’s cold.

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostTue Jan 21, 2020 1:17 pm 
No worries on ankle gaskets. We "survived" with those for years before they started putting socks in dry suits. As long as you aren't wading in icy water for long periods, you'll be fine. On cold days, you can wear warm neoprene booties and be just fine. Almost everyone needs to stretch their latex gaskets to get some level of comfort. This is most pronounced with the neck gasket. Some use a ball for this, I prefer a large cylindrical Tupperware. You might not need to stretch the ankle gaskets, but if so a water bottle should do the trick. For worst case scenarios, you can trim the gaskets. But try stretching them (for days) before you trim! And if you trim, trim less than you think you need, and make sure there's NO nicks or curves that could propagate tears. The other trick for comfort is to make sure the gasket is flat, with no wrinkles or folds. Also, maintain your gaskets, as they are the weak link in the dry suit. Keep them clean (wash off any sunscreen, etc.), and give them an occasional wipe with 303. I'm sure the Kokatat website will have user info.