Forum Index > Trail Talk > Trip Suggestions Near Olympics Mid-January
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostFri Jan 10, 2020 3:26 pm 
Ages ago I used to always do a 3-day backpacking trip on the WA coast over Thanksgiving weekend. Fond memories! While I don't remember it ever being too cold (not like this coming week), stormy wet weather was common. Besides a good tent, having a good tarp to cook and eat under was nice. Also, I much preferred hiking in unlined knee-high rubber (clamming style) boots. Much drier than leather. And if they did take on a bit of water, it was easy to take them off, shake / wipe them dry, change to dry wool socks, and have dry footwear in no time.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Waterman

Waterman
PostFri Jan 10, 2020 5:07 pm 
You might consider the Ozette loop. 5 miles to the beach, couple miles on the beach, another 5 miles back to trailhead. Easy to alter plans. Raccoons and the slippery boardwalks are only real hazards. Your drive time is overly optimistic. There is no such thing as bad weather, just poor clothing choices. Dress accordingly.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostFri Jan 10, 2020 8:06 pm 
If the tides are against you or it's too windy on the beach, consider staying at the Mora campground if you visit Rialto. It won't be busy. It's self-register when you get there and deposit your $. Also recommend Edmonds/Kingston ferry rather than downtown (a personal preference), if not on the way out, then perhaps on the return.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Schroder

Schroder
PostSat Jan 11, 2020 8:45 am 
This is a warning just issued by the National Weather service:
Quote:
Surf will build to 25 to 28 feet today along the Washington coast. Large breaking waves can sweep people off jetties and docks and into dangerous seas. Please stay off the beaches today!
This is also the month of our highest (king) tides.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSat Jan 11, 2020 8:42 pm 
Not much more to add other than the road closures have really limited the good options for getting out into the Olympics. If you had a good vehicle with chains and/or four wheel drive, there would be plenty of good options for day hiking while camped at Heart of the Hills or Sequim Bay SP or Dungeness or Salt Creek. Anyway, I hope you get out and have a good time in the PNW. The Olympics are a great place to recreate in the backcountry. But January the places are limited. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."