Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What Happens To Your Snow Shovels
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Jan 10, 2020 7:50 pm 
The 1000 people per month moving to Seattle from elsewhere are more than enough to account for the rush on snow shovels.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostFri Jan 10, 2020 11:35 pm 
Most of the shovels at my apartment complex were broken in last year’s event.

When I grow up I wanna play.
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostSat Jan 11, 2020 11:35 am 
I still have the two snow shovels I brought with me when I moved to Troutdale, OR from Richland, WA back in 1989. Don't remember when they were bought, but they still work. Most of the time, here in Troutdale, we get no more than an inch which melts the same day, so requires no shoveling. Every 10 years or so, though, we get 2-foot drifts with ice on top which require thorough excavation. Next week might (or might not) be the occasion.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Jan 11, 2020 12:01 pm 
You need to shop at the Morton hardware store. I found a Made In The USA shovel with a sturdy aluminium shovel part there. No more plastic! Between that and the Yooper Scooper, I'm good to go. I will head out soon to put finishing touches on. If it gets as cold as predicted, things are going to be pretty messy around here.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSat Jan 11, 2020 6:35 pm 
In the good ol days you'd see guys out there beer in hand, pourin' lighter fluid up and down the sidewalk, then lighting it. Walkin' away. Job done.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Jan 11, 2020 8:13 pm 
Grannyhiker wrote:
I still have the two snow shovels I brought with me when I moved to Troutdale, OR from Richland, WA back in 1989. Don't remember when they were bought, but they still work. Most of the time, here in Troutdale, we get no more than an inch which melts the same day, so requires no shoveling. Every 10 years or so, though, we get 2-foot drifts with ice on top which require thorough excavation. Next week might (or might not) be the occasion.
Do you update the firmware every season?

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Jan 11, 2020 9:27 pm 
BigBrunyon wrote:
In the good ol days you'd see guys out there beer in hand, pourin' lighter fluid up and down the sidewalk, then lighting it. Walkin' away. Job done.
A propane torch is the new way. The tank gets lighter as one progresses.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSat Jan 11, 2020 10:03 pm 
Don't know what the shovel supply situation is around Ballard (Goodwill was selling new ones cheap last year), but the local Fred Meyer sold out of rock salt by noon on Thursday; still had coarse pickling salt Friday, but it was going fast. By Sunday night the stores may be out of TP, bread and milk. rolleyes.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Jan 12, 2020 5:27 pm 
The stores were deserted today. I saw a few (plastic) snow shovels and tons of ice melter. I got a thing of the latter as I was running low. No panic, shelves were actually well stocked for once at the Walmarche. Home Depot was a ghost townish store today.

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostMon Jan 13, 2020 8:59 am 
I keep use my dozen shovels year round. Grain scoop not only works good on heavy snow, but grain as well! Go figure. I use a pusher type plastic shovel for light shallow snow that I can 'plow' instead of scoop and fling. Hard steel flat shovel for compacted snow. Or I break out the big guys.
Unfortunately, no playing today. Severe sciatica nerve pain. Typing this hurts.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Jan 13, 2020 10:24 am 
My snow shovel tried to blow away when the first big gusts of wind hit here. I stashed it away so won't need to get another one. Back pain is a major pain. good luck.