Forum Index > Trail Talk > How much snow did ya get?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostTue Jan 14, 2020 10:42 am 
Still rain, no snow, at 300 ft. in Troutdale, OR. The east wind is supposed to arrive in the middle of tonight, so I expect to be shut in for a couple of days. No point in shoveling when the snow drifts in faster than it can be shoveled out. However, forecasts are mixed as to how cold it will get, and the NWS has omitted freezing rain from the latest forecasts. My grandkids in Shoreline are having their second snow day. Ale Capone, I'm glad you're feeling better! Backs can be nasty things when they decide to malfunction (mine does on occasion)! Keep stretching and doing gentle strengthening exercises!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Jan 14, 2020 4:29 pm 
I heard they're going to groom Queen Anne Ave, with classic tracks on both sides, and a skate lane in the middle.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostTue Jan 14, 2020 6:49 pm 
How much will we get tonight? It's pretty clear the forecasters have no idea what's going to happen in the Seattle metro area. Looks like the foothills and areas North are set up to see a solid accumulation.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue Jan 14, 2020 8:28 pm 
Two feet here in Lynnwood. Not snow, icicle length. lol.gif Snow is maybe 4 inches on the ground right now. Our birds are pretty hungry, we are feeding the ground birds like Juncos three or four times per day. Nuthatches and chickadees use the feeder bowls so they get a steady supply. Juncos will only feed from the hanging bowls if they have to. Unsalted peanuts in the shell are scattered around first to keep the squirrels busy while the juncos feed.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jan 14, 2020 8:48 pm 
Two feet and snowing off and on at my house.
5P4A0371 Panorama
5P4A0371 Panorama

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Downhill

Downhill
PostTue Jan 14, 2020 9:25 pm 
I got 2' last week and another foot since. It's not the snow, it's the c-c-c-cold! 4F when I got up this morning and a high of 11F this afternoon. Nothing above the 20's in the foreseeable forecast. As my sole source of heat, my woodstove is feeling loved!

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostTue Jan 14, 2020 11:07 pm 
When I last updated the tweets I noticed Seattle schools have announced 100% closed tomorrow. There's no snow on these roads! Isn't it becoming clear this "storm" has opted away from Seattle in favor of vicinities to the north?? OR HAS IT?? Are the school district big wigs witholdin' information about an OMINOUS snow band lurking close by and heading this way...and FAST? I'll let you know in a bit, stick around

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostTue Jan 14, 2020 11:18 pm 
^ It must be a black ice scare. Last forecast I heard was for snow on the north side of the Olympics, north counties, and possibly north Seattle.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Fishing

Fishing
PostTue Jan 14, 2020 11:44 pm 
Maybe a quarter inch in warden

neek

neek
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 7:25 am 
keep in mind wednesday is early release; no point cranking up the school machines for 3 hours, half of which would be lunch, recess, and other nonacademic essentials. monday and tuesday were delayed 2 hours, presumably because of conditions bus drivers, teachers, etc. who have to leave home at 5am because they can't afford to live in seattle might encounter.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 7:33 am 
BigBrunyon wrote:
When I last updated the tweets I noticed Seattle schools have announced 100% closed tomorrow. There's no snow on these roads! Isn't it becoming clear this "storm" has opted away from Seattle in favor of vicinities to the north?? OR HAS IT?? Are the school district big wigs witholdin' information about an OMINOUS snow band lurking close by and heading this way...and FAST? I'll let you know in a bit, stick around
Perhaps it is to show solidarity with areas that HAVE snow? Meanwhile, it warmed up to 8 overnight. It was 7 when I went to bed last night. Looks kinda like we got a dusting of snow but it blew into micro drifts. Still cold, still win

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
rossb

rossb
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 8:40 am 
BigBrunyon wrote:
When I last updated the tweets I noticed Seattle schools have announced 100% closed tomorrow.
It turns out that tomorrow was supposed to be an early dismissal day. There are a lot of people who commute into the district from places that got more snow, which is why they've been operating two hours late. Rather than run two hours late, and then have early dismissal, they just cancelled classes.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 11:39 am 
We got about 18" of snow in my front yard here in Port Angeles. I sit at about 200' elevation, about a 1/4 of a mile from the water's edge. West of town they got significantly more snow. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
mike

mike
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 12:30 pm 
Working on a ˝" until last night. We were in the 1-2" zone according to Cliff. Looks like at least 10" this morning. Settling down to 5-6" as it warms up to freezing. Roads are a mess as the county doesn't have the infrastructure to deal.

call-151

call-151
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 2:01 pm 
We got slammed up in Van. BC last night, schools are closed and many people not going to work today. About 6" on top of the 6 already on the ground on the north shore close to sea level. On the plus side the snow is light and easy to shovel, not the usual cement mixer stuff that we get! They say the winds are going to pick up tonight, hopefully the power stays on.