Forum Index > Trip Reports > New Trail on Squak
Previous :: Next Topic  
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 4:18 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Went on a hike this morning from our house this morning. Approx 8 mi round trip 1400’ gain. Would put this in the lazy report topic but due to lack of reports lately I thought a few might be interested. The trail is sekret for a while so there are no pix or details. Left the house and hiked up Wildwood to the Mountainside Trailhead road had not been plowed and was covered in 3 - 4”  snow. When we arrived at trailhead there were no tracks so we headed up Bullet Fireplace Trail to where new Trail took off. Trail is quite nice with stringer bridges across larger creeks and traverses threw large firs and hemlocks on a gentle grade. With a foot of snow more would make a fin XC or snowshoe trail. Trail climbers to ear the end of Margaret’s Way and spur to Debbie’s View. At top maybe 8” snow. Returned vis Bullet Fireplace Trail to snowplows and an additional 2” snow for total of 5”. This will be my preferred North access to the summit area. Saw nobody except one family on Bullit Fireplace Trail.

--------------
"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
RatherBOutdoors

RatherBOutdoors

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 4:41 pm 
The new trail is a replacement/re-route of the Chybinski loop trail.  WTA has been working on it for ~4 years.  As I understand it, the old trail won't be decommissioned, it just won't see much in the way of regular maintenance.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
RichP
here and there

RichP

here and there
PostTue Jan 14, 2020 5:42 pm 
Good to know. Might try it out this weekend.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 6:54 pm 
I have known about the trail for 4 years and have been on several work parties. It is pretty much finished now.

--------------
"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
nordique

nordique

PostWed Jan 15, 2020 11:26 am 
Have hiked this trail several times, using one crutch, with my group.  Photos from most recent visit:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmJMqgbj

A beautiful new trail!
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant

PostWed Jan 15, 2020 11:43 am 
Even better now, we pushed through and graded the connection to Margrets Way on Thursday.

--------------
nordique

nordique

PostThu Jan 16, 2020 10:03 am 
Thanks for such a great new trail!
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant

PostThu Jan 16, 2020 10:54 am 
I was just a digger, thanks to WTA, Greenway, and King County.  up.gif

--------------
Bluebird
suffering optional

Bluebird

suffering optional
PostThu Jan 16, 2020 6:44 pm 
yes! i have been hiking/running this for a while and today noticed the highest elevation bit was finally completed (ive been doing a little minor ‘schwacking at the top). its great they finally had the chance to finish, i suspect last winter’s weather caused a significant delay because progress halted at the second bridge for months. conditions were very pleasant for running above about 1500 elevation and mushy below, although i'm sure conditions will change soon. but, here at 1300 feet in high valley (home) it’s snowing gently again.
RichP
here and there

RichP

here and there
PostSat Jan 18, 2020 9:34 pm 
Checked it out today. Nice. Only a few inches of slush on Central Peak.
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Trip Reports > New Trail on Squak
  Happy Birthday Maria!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: