Forum Index > Trip Reports > De Leo Wall
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
nordique

nordique
PostTue Apr 14, 2020 7:29 am 
We hiked to the De Leo Wall yesterday, via the Licorice Fern Trail, in search of chocolate and fawn lilies. A very nice 4.25 miles total, with just over 800 feet of elevation gain. We saw no other hikers except at quite a distance. Seems like ages since we've been to the De Leo Wall! We used to do it every spring at lily time. My photos here: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmMz3tNA

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostTue Apr 14, 2020 7:36 am 
looks like you found what you were looking for. and trillium! very nice.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostTue Apr 14, 2020 8:38 am 
Do you eat the chocolate lilies? The First Nations did but I never tried it.

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostTue Apr 14, 2020 9:06 am 
I can walk to these trails from home, but have not. We all make our own decisions. Q: IF I CAN WALK TO A KING COUNTY PARK OR TRAIL, CAN I STILL USE IT? A: We ask that everyone respect parks closures and refrain from using King County parks, including regional and backcountry trails

I desire medium danger williswall.com
Damian

Damian
PostTue Apr 14, 2020 9:15 am 
The trail is clearly marked closed to all users, if not at the Licrorice Fern TH then for sure at the Indian Trail. The solitude you enjoyed was due to the sacrifice of those respecting the rules, and missing the awesome Trillium you got to enjoy.

nordique

nordique
PostTue Apr 14, 2020 10:36 am 
There are some of us who observe social distancing and other pandemic requirements but work around the no-hiking-on-trails rule. We need to hike, for our mental health, as well as for exercise off-pavement. Now to pick up my boot bag, my crutch, and my car keys!

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostTue Apr 14, 2020 10:55 am 
Lame

I desire medium danger williswall.com
mosey

mosey
PostTue Apr 14, 2020 11:11 am 
Damian wrote:
The trail is clearly marked closed to all users, if not at the Licrorice Fern TH then for sure at the Indian Trail. The solitude you enjoyed was due to the sacrifice of those respecting the rules, and missing the awesome Trillium you got to enjoy.
The De Leo Wall [s]Trail[/s] is technically private property - that's why it's being logged. [redacted] trails are still open though, nordique, you can access through there. I was there on Sunday. No honeysuckle flowering yet, but it's gorgeous in summer. Some of y'all need to get off of your internet high horses. The goal is to limit spread, it's not a lockdown. It's going to come back when we lift quarantine (of which there currently is no exit plan) unless there's a vaccine. Anybody who seriously proposes complete indoor isolation for an undisclosed # of years isn't thinking rationally. Take a moment to remind yourself that the purpose of quarantine was to stop hospitals from being overwhelmed, not eradicate the virus. It's far too late to stop the spread of this pandemic.

iron

iron
PostTue Apr 14, 2020 11:15 am 
at least it wasn't the normal 30 person group size

nordique

nordique
PostTue Apr 14, 2020 11:17 am 
I was not tempted to eat the lilies: too pretty not to share with other hikers!

nordique

nordique
PostTue Apr 14, 2020 11:24 am 
Thanks! Most local cities are not closing all their parks to walkers--which I really appreciate! I see LONG lists of hiking places that are shut down--but a lot of our local cities have really nice parks that include interesting hikes--like O.O. Denny Park is one favorite. I encounter far more people on my pavement walks in our neighborhood than I do on hiking trails. And, since I'm hobbling on a crutch, people give me the right of way (or maybe it's because I'm elderly). After each of my nine right leg surgeries, I was eager to get outdoors and go for crutching excursions--even with a right leg cast from big toe to hip.

kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostTue Apr 14, 2020 11:37 am 
I, for one, enjoy reading trip reports, even if trail is closed. Thank you for the report and nice photos!

Damian

Damian
PostTue Apr 14, 2020 12:31 pm 
No De Leo trail proper is entirely inside the park (the E Crosstown Trail is not. Check the map. Licorice Fern, also mentioned in the TR is in the park. I respect Nordique’s decision. No flames intended and I’m far less than perfect on rules. Just noting that’s a popular Spring hike many have sacrificed. My thanks to all who are following the rules even if some who don’t benefit from their sacrifice. I’ve personally gotten in a ton of cycling the past few weeks. I barely remembered how to ride a bike. smile.gif. Recreate safe and protect your mental health the way that works best for you.

nordique

nordique
PostTue Apr 14, 2020 1:40 pm 
Lucky you! After my right knee replacement, I no longer had enough knee flexion to ride my Colnago.

Damian

Damian
PostTue Apr 14, 2020 1:57 pm 
I tuned up my 47 year old Peugeot. Runs like a top! Used to climb hills better though. Must be the bearings.