Forum Index > Trip Reports > Petroglyphs and Pictographs - 1/14/2020
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 7:31 am 
Took my father and Frances out for the day. We started in the canyon which crosses the north end of the Dead Mountains. Accessed by a good powerline road on the west side.
For the second hike we went to Hiko Springs canyon. We discovered a well-hidden pictograph in wonderful condition. The details are incredible and show bead-work on tunics, moccasins, and shield crest designs. Pictographs such as these are extremely rare, and this is one of only a few locations that I'm aware of.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 9:41 am 
Thanks for the report and pix, G. I love rock art, I've spent a lot of hours checking out the stuff all over the Okanogan area and seeing this profusion of it makes me want to go see it!

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 1:33 pm 
fabulous! up.gif thanks! wink.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostSat Jan 18, 2020 10:24 am 
Fascinating! This has probably been covered extensively on NWHikers, perhaps on History, but I'm curious. What's the protocal for giving names of locations of historic artifacts, petroglyphs, pictographs, etc.? Adam didn't give too much detail about these two fantastic sites, or maybe he did, but with all the yahoos in the world who will deface, abuse, steal, or otherwise disrespect the historicity of things, I wonder.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Jan 18, 2020 10:50 am 
I only give full instructions to famous areas with protection such as The Gallery. Otherwise I only give general directions e.g. Bears Ears, Joshua Tree, Canyonlands, etc. Others may not agree. Unfortunately beta is always available.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostSat Jan 18, 2020 12:32 pm 
Brushbuffalo, You bring up a valid and important point here. I had a moral discussion with Frances about this exact same issue, prior to posting. I was hesitant to name the area which the pictograph is located in, considering it is such a rare piece of American history. Based on the exact location, Frances and I agree that this report will not put it in danger. It's deep enough, and hard enough to find, we feel that posting on a PNW based hiking forum is extremely unlikely to lure any moronic yahoos. Previous reports by others on this website have already revealed the extensive presence of petroglyphs in the area, so this is really more of a follow-up report.

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap
PostSat Jan 18, 2020 1:34 pm 

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostSat Jan 18, 2020 8:59 pm 
Thanks for your thoughtful reply, gimpilator. I am confident with all the widespread exploring you do in the SW that historic sites such as you visit are safe from the bozos, imbiciles, and yahoos out there. Good to 'keep the mystery.' Keep the 'sploring going, and I like your reports. I also like the fossils you photograph, even though I'm certainly no paleontologist (my biggest shortcoming as a geologist). dizzy.gif

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostSun Jan 19, 2020 9:50 pm 
Any estimate of hiw old they are?

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostMon Jan 20, 2020 2:39 pm 
Bernardo wrote:
Any estimate of hiw old they are?
Many will say that age of petroglyphs is a very difficult thing to determine. Without organic pigment (pictographs) available factors like re-patination (creation of desert varnish over the pecked rock), style, comparison of style and shape to nearby pictographs dated with carbon dating techniques, and cultural affiliation (determined by descendants themselves) all contribute to that determination. That said, a large number of these are symmetrical (axial), abstract, patterns, grids, curvilinear and rectilinear designs consistent with a style known as Grapevine Style. That style is attributed to the ancestors of the nearby Mojave and other Lower Colorado River tribes. The oldest of the elements is likely late archaic (pre-christ: >2000yrs before present) based on study of re-varnishing; forward to about 1000AD. Some can be much more recent than that. It was not uncommon for descendants to "refresh" older elements through time. Only in this area have I ever heard of that happening, whereas descendants of ancestral pueblo tribes to the northeast and east were not known to do that. By no means is this a very educated scientific explanation, just some info I have gleaned over time based on personal interest.

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostMon Jan 20, 2020 5:57 pm 
Thanks for sharing your insights! Sounds educated to me!