Forum Index > Trail Talk > Northern WA rocks
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
eric8he

eric8he
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 1:03 pm 
Hey guys, I'm an avid rockhound. I have explored all over the central region around Hwy 2 and I-90. Many deposits. I'm here to ask if anyone knows of any possible spots showing quartz they have seen from their hikes in Chelan, Snohomish, or Okanogan Counties. Thank you

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 1:26 pm 
I've heard the Boulder River trail is good for this, near Darrington.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 1:29 pm 
Hello eric8he! wink.gif I don't know anything about rocks other than that they are hard as rocks, but welcome to the site!

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 1:59 pm 
There are great rocks on the 4x4 road up to Gallagher Head lake in the upper Cle Elum drainage (Fortune Creek). There was a chromium mine of unknown duration in the area, and some nice serpentine cropping out right along the road near the top, with more visible up the hill. Along the way, there is another even worse 4x4 route to Van Epps pass which crosses over into the upper Icicle and Van Epps creek, where there are the footings and not much else from an old gold mine. A lot of interesting minerals scattered about at the site, including altered quartz. . The GH road is medium gnarly but any 4x4 with decent clearance can make it, depending on your skill levels and tolerance. I made it up there in a Datsun 510 wagon several times (not exactly stock, however, clearance mods). The chief issue is a creek crossing and steep climb following it. The VE road is far tougher. 1/2 mile of large stream cobble where the former mine road is now creekbed, then 2/3 of the way to the top is a pretty large 'step' where the road partially washed out leaving exposed bedrock and a 'wheel in the air' experience as you grind/crawl in low range over the big step. Other than those two places, the road isn't too bad but the cobble and the step require a solid rig and the willingness to beat on it some. My stock 2000 FourRunner did fine. (The initial stream cobble stopped the Datsun back in the day). The pass is gorgeous with great views and the road down to the mine site is fine.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
eric8he

eric8he
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 3:17 pm 
Quote:
I've heard the Boulder River trail is good for this, near Darrington.
Ah yes, some calcite in that region.

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 5:46 pm 
only interested in quartz???

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 5:53 pm 
I know this is way out of the area of interest, but there are nice fat quartz veins on the S face of Bald Mtn, 20ish miles S of Baker City, OR. 4 miles of OK road W from the summit of Dooley Pass is the access route. A few hundred feet down and E from the saddle/ridge line on the W side of the peak there are huge chunks all over the hillside.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
eric8he

eric8he
PostThu Jan 16, 2020 9:36 am 
Also of interest: I'm looking at areas north of Bear and Deer Lakes, as well as a ridge sandwiched between Bear/Deer and the Snoqualmie Potholes. Are these areas relatively easy to access? They are under a 1/2 mile from the trails.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Jan 16, 2020 9:43 am 
Relatively easy as hiking goes, in terms of the terrain to the potholes. The terrain is mixed sub alpine forest at that point, and off trail navigation is not very challenging in terms of brush. I've been over that ridge on the way to the the potholes.

Waterman

Waterman
PostThu Jan 16, 2020 9:48 am 
Look for a copy of routes and rocks, rolland tabor. The trail descriptions are out of date but they did map out various minerals. Covers from glacier peak north.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostThu Jan 16, 2020 5:21 pm 
eric8he wrote:
Also of interest: I'm looking at areas north of Bear and Deer Lakes, as well as a ridge sandwiched between Bear/Deer and the Snoqualmie Potholes. Are these areas relatively easy to access? They are under a 1/2 mile from the trails.
The area north of Bear and Deer lakes is doable albeit brushy. I don’t know that I’d call it easy, but you can get up to the ridge. More above Dorothy, it gets interesting with rock, interesting as meaning some cliffy areas.

When I grow up I wanna play.
Mike E.

Mike E.
PostMon Jan 20, 2020 11:13 pm 
Mindat has a pretty good map of quartz localities in Washington. These are mostly old mine sites or poorly described locations such as "north of Poe Mountain". It's better than throwing darts at a map though. Mindat Quartz in Washington It also depends on what sort of quartz you're looking for. Crystals are much harder to find, while agate is much easier. Another resource which is interesting is geology maps of the region here: USGS MapView

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostTue Jan 21, 2020 10:55 am 
I can’t remember that exact location, but I’ve seen quartz along the trail near the Tungsten Mine, Tungsten Lake and Apex Mountain if you are up for some high lonesome wandering. Also Chopaka Lake area.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Jan 21, 2020 11:11 am 
Lot of quartz mixed in with the rubble on the way to Lewis and Wing Lakes.

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostThu Jan 23, 2020 3:10 am 
Rafting guide to customers on Middle Sauk River Wild and Scenic Class III above Darrington: "A geologist friend told me something interesting about this river." In unison, 6 guests/customers asked, "What did your geologist friend say?" Guide, "There's a lot of freaking rocks in this river." PS: Middle Sauk is lined/bordered/bothered by cobble/stones/boulders including a definite change in strata at Whirlpool Rapid. Tom